The 2016 WJC thread

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I've only watched highlights up to this point. Was the US playing this conservatively in prior games? They looked Ducks-like after they went up a goal.

I can't say I watched every game but against Canada the US was quite aggressive. I'm not sure why they decided to sit back so much yesterday.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I was cheering for Larsson and Pettersson, but this is a blowout.

BTW, is Matthews not 100%?

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Finland really has the legs though. Same as last night, Finland keep up the pressure and force errors. You wouldn't know they played in SF last night.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Kapanen wins it! What a play.

Junior seals it. That's WC gold for three generations in a row. Dad won it as a player in WC '95 with grown-ups, and Gramps Hannu coaching WJC in '98. Some family.

Teemu is behind the bench in a semi-official mentor role. He told the interviewer that they were walking with the President of Finland to get ready for the medals ceremony when they heard Russians tying the score. No word on whether they made it back to the exec seats before they had to turn back one final time. ;)

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I know it will never happen but it would be cool if the WJC was here in SoCal with CBBA and VVCC holding the beginning games and Staples & Honda Center having the Gold and Bronze games.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Puljujärvi gets tourney's best F award. All due respect to Matthews, I still would have given it to fellow cagehead Laine. The kid showed great hockey smarts over and again next to that wicked shot and them goals.

Edit: Ahh sorry the gong was MVP of course. Still, Laine for me.

Last edited:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Puljujärvi gets tourney's best F award. All due respect to Matthews, I still would have given it to fellow cagehead Laine. The kid showed great hockey smarts over and again next to that wicked shot and them goals.

Edit: Ahh sorry the gong was MVP of course. Still, Laine for me.
I rate Laine over Pulju too. More physical and wicked NHL level shot.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I missed everything after the 1st because I had to go to the barn but I'm happy Finland pulled it off.

DVR only has the 3rd and OT so I'm watching it now.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Of course, he is. He knows, whenever Teemu feels like it, he could just take his job. :nod:

The word is Putin called earlier during the day. Next to the usual well-wishing and politico talk, both presidents agreed that the best team should win. I could be just a smokescreen of course and tanks could be assembling at the border as we speak.

The President likes his hockey all right. The newsbit is from a week ago when he showed up unexpected at an open rink for a bit of beanie hockey with local kids. The headline (all in Finnish, sorry) is "Could this happen anywhere but in Finland". Your call.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1451881705758.html

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
So happy that Finland won, I'm very proud of them. The Canada game was the worst nail biter because it could have ended anyway, every shot could have gone in. After that game the latter two didn't stress me as much except maybe the overtime but it just felt like this team could handle anything.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Called the fins from the beginning, and it was because of their top line. Topheavy teams tend to win these types of short sample tournaments, and they simply were too much for the opposition to handle.

This is up there with Finland's best roster ever at the tournament. I can't wait for the draft. Let's pray edmonton doesn't get their hands on one of these kids who are just about a lock to land in the top-3.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Gotta give some love to Petterson. Only got to watch bits and pieces of the games, but he started showing off some of his potential. He didn't have any points vs US, but his brake out led to one goal (1 pass too many to get an assist) and his shot led to a deflection goals that was waved off due to a high stick. He's definitely taken a step forward in his development. Still a good couple years away and needs to mature physically, but you can see why we drafted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad