Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Entry Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Especially a 6'0 one. And a Russian no less.

To be honest I don't think there's a great chance we take him if he's there. But we can all still hope. He's likely gone at 6-8 anyways.

He is in junior, the KHL has deflated as a threat lately and Roy had no problem with Russsians on the Remparts.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Believe it or not Roy is not the only decision maker for this franchise. Maybe it was Pracey, maybe it was someone else but it wouldn't be wise to assume anything until something different actually happens.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Believe it or not Roy is not the only decision maker for this franchise. Maybe it was Pracey, maybe it was someone else but it wouldn't be wise to assume anything until something different actually happens.

He holds the veto, is certainly interested in at least the first round of the draft and if the peanut gallery's only objection to Zads is his nationality it doesn't look like that will sway Roy.

Let's also be honest, the post-lockout aversion to Europeans and Russians in particular came as large part due to the rudderlessness of the franchise, where we didn't have anyone involved enough to take the extra work to consider the pros and cons of going across the pond.

Apathy is something you can never acuse Patty of.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Another big reason why no Russians have been drafted by us for so long is it seems we focused scouting in N.A and not much overseas. With the influx of Swedes, Russians, Fins, etc coming over to play in the CHL I expect us to draft more higher.

For example if Landeskog hadn't come over to play in Canada I highly doubt we would've drafted him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I really hope people aren't depending on winning the lottery.

More like hoping we can win the lottery because that would be awesome. Which non-playoff isn't hoping for that?

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
Another big reason why no Russians have been drafted by us for so long is it seems we focused scouting in N.A and not much overseas. With the influx of Swedes, Russians, Fins, etc coming over to play in the CHL I expect us to draft more higher.

For example if Landeskog hadn't come over to play in Canada I highly doubt we would've drafted him.

I'd guess this had a lot to do with Lacriox. Back to back first round flops in Kuleshov and Nedorost probably didn't sit well with him, then another with Johansson two years later ended us taking Euros in the first. Then there's the list of other high notable Euro busts around the same time (Sergei Soin, Sanny Lindstrom, Richard Demen-Willaume, Mikko Kalteva), and the whole the Denis Parshin saga pretty much put the nail in the Euro scouting coffin. With the Lacrioxs being gone, maybe this changes with Roy and Sakic.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He holds the veto, is certainly interested in at least the first round of the draft and if the peanut gallery's only objection to Zads is his nationality it doesn't look like that will sway Roy.

Let's also be honest, the post-lockout aversion to Europeans and Russians in particular came as large part due to the rudderlessness of the franchise, where we didn't have anyone involved enough to take the extra work to consider the pros and cons of going across the pond.

Apathy is something you can never acuse Patty of.

It's interesting, I think there's a certain generation of Canadians that learned to appreciate the Russian style of skill play, and I think Roy falls into that. Even Don Cherry who always seems to denigrate "Swedes" and other Europeans always talks highly of Ovechkin and certain Russian players. To his credit though, Roy has shown an interest in other areas of Europe as well.

It's definitely a breath of fresh air, though I always had a feeling the North American bias the organization had in the past had a bit to do with an allocation of resources/funds. They only had so much money they could spend while they were rebuilding and not taking in money, so they pooled that money into scouting North America. I don't think it was an issue of not being interested, they just didn't have as much info, so they didn't bring it into the conversation.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I was wondering about the draft and what the Avs may do... they do seem to be more inclined to drafting a big winger by Roy's talks but imo (and looks like a good number of people here share the same opinion) they should take this opportunity to get a D. not only it's the biggest hole in the team but this year we have a very good draft class in that area, which doesn't happen always. (not with this quantity and quality)

then, IF the goal is to get a D, since Hanifin is too high and Carlo, Kylington, Zboril, etc are probably too low, then our aim would be one of Provorov or Werenski. (correct me if I'm wrong but both have higher ceilings than all our D prospects, right? even if Bigras is ready it wouldn't be redundant to get one of them)

the way I see it, the glaring enemies in this task would be Columbus and Flyers, exactly the two teams ahead of us (in the draft order) as of now. Oilers need D and will gladly take Hanifin. Toronto could use a D (specially if they really move Dion) but I guess the media pressure would be too intimidating they'll just go the "safer" route and get one of the high scoring forwards. the other one slips to Carolina. the last thing Devils need is a D prospect so I guess they go with one of Rantanen or Crouse (my bet would be on the later).

then we reach Columbus - Flyers - Avs territory. I guess both Columbus and Flyers would look at D first and this would leave the Avs with the "consolation prize" in Rantanen. So, once again, IF they want to draft a D, they should try to get under one of those two to guarantee one of these Ds, imo.

what people think? am I too far off in my analysis?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
columbus will prob go d, just a question which of the two they like

phi wants d, but i think they want a blue chip or nothing, so fwd

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm going with CBJ jumping us in the standings, PHI takes Provorov (If he's still available at 7th), and the Avs take the best forward available at 8th. Rantanen is my guess. Seems like he fits right in our needs wheelhouse and would be a great pickup.

I reserve the right to change this based on the Central Scoutings final report this week :laugh:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Flyers have a lot of skilled defensive prospects (Morin, Sanheim, Ghostisbehere, Hägg) so I could see them going for a forward.

Avs could use both forwards or defenders in the long run.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Flyers have a lot of skilled defensive prospects (Morin, Sanheim, Ghostisbehere, Hägg) so I could see them going for a forward.

Avs could use both forwards or defenders in the long run.

The Flyers could still take a Defenseman and if multiples of their prospects pan out, then they trade for offensive help.

It's something that I wouldn't mind the Avs doing if Provorov/Werenski are still available when they pick (and Crouse/Ranaten not...actually, I don't really know, I want them all!)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No, before :D

Nobody is worried about Florida? Only 3 points up and two games left? I guess we shouldn't be worried about anyone until we win a game. But then...

The Avs can SAY that they're going to make these last 3 games matter, but the truth is with the eyes--they had a poor showing against LA (despite it being the 2nd of a b2b). They can SAY that they want to "play spoiler" against these other teams, but again, they had a chance to make it tough on the defending SC Champions as they fight just to get into the Playoffs.

The 3 games we have are against teams that you would think want to go in on a good note, and the Jets, who are still fighting for a spot.

The games may be close, but I'm personally not expecting a "W" out of them.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No, before :D

Nobody is worried about Florida? Only 3 points up and two games left? I guess we shouldn't be worried about anyone until we win a game. But then...

I want Crouse but I meant is that how other teams would likely rank them? If Crouse is considered outside of the top 5 by most it wouldn't be crazy for him to drop down 2 slots if we're luck enough to pick 8th.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I want Crouse but I meant is that how other teams would likely rank them? If Crouse is considered outside of the top 5 by most it wouldn't be crazy for him to drop down 2 slots if we're luck enough to pick 8th.

I don't know if it's consensus among teams, I think Crouse is right there in the 4-5 mix but might be up to what teams want, if anyone there wants D as well. I'd be surprised if he was there at 8, though I guess not shocked but I'd say most have agreed Crouse is with Marner and Strome in that mini tier before the 7-12 group of players.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He is in junior, the KHL has deflated as a threat lately and Roy had no problem with Russsians on the Remparts.

I'm well aware of Provorov's status and not saying I would be afraid to draft him. He's basically the least Russian kid available through the draft in a long long time. I just know that from an actual Colorado Avalanche perspective, there has been a tendency to avoid Russians the last number of years.

Sure, new management team etc, but at the end of the day until they actually show a great willingness to draft (or trade for) Russian players (aside from Varly, obviously), there remains doubt on my end that they would be enthused about bringing one in.

I hope I'm wrong.

Ultimately I think the fact that Provorov is 6'0 probably hurts him more than the fact that he's Russian, at least when weighing his value from a Colorado perspective.

Roy has been adamant about getting bigger and stronger and a 6'0 blueliner is below average size-wise in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad