The 1st Stanley Cup Winner was in 1892/93

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
The modern NHL gets a lot of things wrong in marketing, mostly due to Bettman's ungodly incompetence, but I'm glad they haven't messed up the best thing they inherited: the enduring nature of the name "Stanley Cup." In most of the US, most of our lardasses only care about the NFL and NBA. In a distant 3rd is MLB. NHL is about as forgotten as MLS.

Yet more Americans know the name of the Stanley Cup than the championship trophies of those leagues. Good stuff.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Every time I see trivia like this, I always wonder: why can't I just take the Stanley Cup and keep it? Pretty sure the NHL still doesn't own it. I've actually had it in my hands (one of the white glove guys used to live near me, maybe still does).

"While the NHL has maintained control over the trophy itself and its associated trademarks, the NHL does not actually own the trophy but uses it by agreement with the two Canadian trustees of the cup"

Seems almost like a public domain situation.
I think it originally kind of was because basically any team could challenge for the Cup with trustee approval.

NHL has a hard enough time marketing itself and you wanted to rename the trophy that is the most recognizable thing about the league?
Bring back the Avco Cup!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad