Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I read that Vancouver finally offered Lankinen a 1 year deal at about $1 million. He said no.

I mean why would he say yes when he made $2 million per season the past two season?!

With Demko not being 100% anytime soon, it would be smart of Vancouver to lock up Lankinen for 2-3 seasons at around $1.5 per season.

I'd imagine the idea would be that he might say yes because he's currently set to make zero dollars this season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
According to Dhaliwal they've been offering under one million. Lankinen's ask is around 1.5. Canucks don't want to wade into LTIR so they're trying to outwait Lankinen.

They leaked the pto offer to Raanta but to put pressure on Lankinen, but Raanta wants stability.

Reactions: Coffees

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Inoperable? For playing hockey maybe. But they can replace every joint from the hip to knee but that would end his career. A forward like Kane might be able to grind it out for awhile with a partial knee replacement but not a goalie.

Sounds like arthritis and joint deterioration, minor clean out procedures with copious cortisone shots and NASID's would make it possible for him to perform for awhile yet. The thing is these will get worse but the end result is the same.

To me this confirms a hip problem because a knee would explode with the kind of pressure goalies put on there joints.
That is not to say the hip won't pop out but changing the style of his game, maybe going to one leg butterflies like Brodeur did for most of his career might prolong his days.

The thing about a bad hip is sometimes, most times, it isn't always noticeable when walking. NASIDs and cortisone shots relieve pain and make further injury less painful. He would "feel" the joint pop in and out, he might "feel" a grinding sensation but without the excruciating immediate pain.

Hence why I keep pointing out that when he left his to games, the first time when he was off for weeks and the last time, both times he didn't need any help off the ice and he was walking when out of his gear.

For hips there are a couple of procedures, essentially cleaning out the joint of bone spurs but that only can be done a couple of times then the joint is more fragile and subject to more arthritis faster.

Osteoarthritis can be so bad they won't operate for repair but will for replacements.
For me, hip and knee so this is real world.
I can/could do everything anyone else could but with pain and not necessarily noticeably. The knee was harder to mask though.

If I am correct ..... then his time left is precious and would have to be rationed

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pretty much. If, for example, he has had a labrum detach and "die" than you are just waiting for arthritis to settle into the joint and it will do so quickly (according to my hip surgeon!)...like 18-24 months. It will just get worse and it really is can you deal with the pain and for how long. It's the Kesler injury path.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
According to Dhaliwal they've been offering under one million. Lankinen's ask is around 1.5. Canucks don't want to wade into LTIR so they're trying to outwait Lankinen.

They leaked the pto offer to Raanta but to put pressure on Lankinen, but Raanta wants stability.
They both want stability .Can't blame them.With all this uncertainty around Demko he should just be put on LTIR
He has had months off already and what ever he has is not getting better..We need to start looking at the bigger picture.

Reactions: David71

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Or reading the previous posts in this thread

Imagine asking a question on a discussion board to get information- crazy. I don't understand the push back on things like this. Who cares if he didnt go look it up himself. We are all kind of here to discuss this stuff, no? I am confused and must be missing some kind of background. Why criticize someone for engaging in the chat? Weird...

Reactions: stupendousman

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Imagine asking a question on a discussion board to get information- crazy. I don't understand the push back on things like this. Who cares if he didnt go look it up himself. We are all kind of here to discuss this stuff, no? I am confused and must be missing some kind of background. Why criticize someone for engaging in the chat? Weird...
Who are you talking about?
What did he not look up?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Yikes, this is not sounding good at all. It's been months and it still doesn't sound like Demko is ready to return. I hate to say it but maybe that NHL executive was right when he said Demko is damaged goods, Schneider 2.0 and he would look to trade him.
Really sucks because Silovs and Tolopilo aren't ready to handle the load imo. Would've been nice if the Canucks invested in a goalie over the years in the draft. Maybe the Canucks will draft local kid Joshua Ravensbergen this year.

Either way I just hope Demko can resolve and get through this injury that is ailing him. A Demmer injury could be the one thing that could prevent us from getting to the next level.

Fingers crossed

Last edited:

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
Hoping the best for Demko and am hoping for good news in the future. There are a lot of rumors out there but nothing concrete yet and the current Canuck management team have been tight lipped about anything concerning the team. One thing I do find to be optimistic about is the lack of urgency from Allvin and company in finding another goaltender. I believe if they were to believe that the injury is serious they would have brought another goaltender in by now. I am still not sold on Silovs until he learns to fight through traffic to see the puck. I guess we will find out more in the upcoming couple of weeks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
None of this news should be surprising on Demko.

It's only going to get worse from here on out.

Really not trusting that he is gonna be reliable going into the playoffs and get injured again.We can't have uncertainty.
Now gonna wonder do we even get to make the playoffs.
open-uri20150608-27674-12g8gok_780ca94b.jpeg

Reactions: brock hughes007

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Well that nameless GM that said you should trade Demko "now" a while ago because he has degenerative hip issues was proven to be correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad