That was a really fun playoff run. Signs point to a bright future.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One saving grace is it did shine a light on what they needed to be successful at the highest level.

1) Nurse with a mobile partner.
2) A third line that can push back vs. the safe reactionary play of McLeod.
3) The kids are ready for bigger roles, highlighted by Broberg and Holloway.

Only concern I have is with Holland on his way out, a new GM might try and re-invent the wheel vs. just taking these lessons already learned.

Biggest thing for me is locking up the 3rd line over the next few days. They've got the budget to give 1.25 to 1.5 to Brown and Janmark and around 3 to Henrique; hopefully that's enough.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
One saving grace is it did shine a light on what they needed to be successful at the highest level.

Only concern I have is with Holland on his way out, a new GM might try and re-invent the wheel vs. just taking these lessons already learned.

Biggest thing for me is locking up the 3rd line over the next few days. They've got the budget to give 1.25 to 1.5 to Brown and Janmark and around 3 to Henrique; hopefully that's enough.
McLeod had an injury-filled beginning to his career. That may be why he is not as physical as some. Give him time, IMO.

I like that third line. It would be nice to add some muscle to the fourth line to take care of the Zadorov's of this world.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
A great learning experience and some good signs for next year with Broberg looking good, Skinner as well. Plus the main core being back

I think we have a really good shot at the cup next year, but after that who knows, given contract situations

I do think we are 1 or 2 years behind schedule of where we should be. Teams like Pitt/Chicago/TB made deep serious runs when there top end talent was a few years younger than McDrai. They then learned from those Cup finals losses and had 3-4 more years of being Cup contender as they had all core players locked in for good contracts for a few more years

We basically have next year to really do our damage. After than Drai/Boouchard are both up for contracts and even if they resign, its for a higher cap hit and thatll cause our depth to take a big hit

Reactions: oilers'72

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Agree with all of the above.

On #2 above: the one lesson we need to learn (are learning a bit) is that "good defending" doesn't mean shrinking away from the puck. McLeod (and sometimes Nuge) as you mention opt to back up and be "in position" but are actually just giving way too much time and space, and ruining site-lines for their goalies. Kulak also was very guilty of this on the GWG in game 7... granted he got his signals crossed with his teammates, but I was watching with some ex-pros/Div1 guys and everybody was screaming at him to close that gap even before the shot came off... it was obvious to all... you can't just let guys walk in like that.

I don't worry too much about your new GM point. Anyone who was watching (and that future GM was definitely watching) could see that Ceci needs to go, Nurse can't be traded but can be supported, and Janmark, Brown and Henrique all need to stay.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
McLeod had an injury-filled beginning to his career. That may be why he is not as physical as some. Give him time, IMO.

I like that third line. It would be nice to add some muscle to the fourth line to take care of the Zadorov's of this world.

I like McLeod and do think he brings a lot of useful traits. Still, I like the idea of starting him at 4LW, and having the ability to pivot him up and down the lineup as needed.

A hope of mine for this offseason is something around Ceci for Sturm or Faska, or even Kostin.

As said I'd love a defensive centre with size to kick McLeod over to wing; but I also think getting a bottom with size and a willingness to use it is a near a must. Kane can't be the only one capable of filling that role. I'd love something like...

Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Kostin-McLeod-Lavoie

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
A great learning experience and some good signs for next year with Broberg looking good, Skinner as well. Plus the main core being back

I think we have a really good shot at the cup next year, but after that who knows, given contract situations

I do think we are 1 or 2 years behind schedule of where we should be. Teams like Pitt/Chicago/TB made deep serious runs when there top end talent was a few years younger than McDrai. They then learned from those Cup finals losses and had 3-4 more years of being Cup contender as they had all core players locked in for good contracts for a few more years

We basically have next year to really do our damage. After than Drai/Boouchard are both up for contracts and even if they resign, its for a higher cap hit and thatll cause our depth to take a big hit

Agree... on the Drai/Bouch extensions, I fully expect that first year to be a bit of a write off... playing around on cap friendly looked a bit like this (new salaries and placeholders in ($$$):

Kane McD Hyman
Nuge Drai ($14M) Holloway (2.0M)
(1.5M) Henrique ($3.5) (1.5M)
($850) ($850) ($850)
($850)

Ekholm Bouch ($10M)
Nurse Broberg ($2.5M)
Kulak Desh ($1.7M)
($850)

Skinner
Rodrigue ($1M)

That would bring us in exactly at the cap assuming it goes up a similar amount next year from $88 to $92. More we are golden, less and we are going to have to choose between Drai and Bouch or find an adoptive home for Nurse or more likely Kane.

Overall I think that puts us in pretty decent shape for 2027++, but 2025 and 2026 will be tough... no room for deadline adds. 2026 is extra tough because you are capped out above and then have McD and Skinner coming up the same summer. Not that I love the idea of paying Skinner, but he's cheap and that means we could be in trouble if Rodrigue or Fanti aren't starter material by then.

I think this means that Kane is on borrowed time. We can't really trade him now, but he's going to be tough to keep (and tough to get rid of) as he ages out.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

The cap will be rapidly growing now that the players have paid the teams back. Those contracts will also be for eight (hopefully) years so that will help with the hits. No one needs to care if Leon is overpaid in years 7 and 8 or even 6.

The Oilers came two goals away from a cup and they did this with with quite a bit of money riding the dead cap waves. Hopefully, after next year (end of Neal buyout: 1.9 M) those days will be behind them.

Reactions: oilers'72

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
The cap will be rapidly growing now that the players have paid the teams back. Those contracts will also be for eight (hopefully) years so that will help with the hits. No one needs to care if Leon is overpaid in years 7 and 8 or even 6.

The Oilers came two goals away from a cup and they did this with with quite a bit of money riding the dead cap waves. Hopefully, after next year (end of Neal buyout: 1.9 M) those days will be behind them.

Leon would be getting the max contract youd bet (4M increase), and Bouchard is likely getting 9.5M (4-5Mil increase). So even with just those 2 increases, most increase to the cap is eaten up with that.

Next year is probably the best chance at improving the roster, since after next year you likely have the same caliber of roster as this year as the cap increase will be used by with extensions

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I really hope we can get the coaching staff back
I echo this.

For a guy who absolutely thought the Coffey hiring was fraught with so many issues and I bitched about it loudly when it happened, I hope the dude is back. It’s probably beneath his skill set to be an assistant coach on an NHL bench, but damn he did great work in the role. Mark Stuart, video coach Segall, Glen G and of course Knob all make for a solid coaching staff.

I shall remain silent on the goaltender coaching situation and personnel for medical reasons (it makes my blood pressure go crazy).

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Agree with all of the above.

On #2 above: the one lesson we need to learn (are learning a bit) is that "good defending" doesn't mean shrinking away from the puck. McLeod (and sometimes Nuge) as you mention opt to back up and be "in position" but are actually just giving way too much time and space, and ruining site-lines for their goalies. Kulak also was very guilty of this on the GWG in game 7... granted he got his signals crossed with his teammates, but I was watching with some ex-pros/Div1 guys and everybody was screaming at him to close that gap even before the shot came off... it was obvious to all... you can't just let guys walk in like that.

I don't worry too much about your new GM point. Anyone who was watching (and that future GM was definitely watching) could see that Ceci needs to go, Nurse can't be traded but can be supported, and Janmark, Brown and Henrique all need to stay.
I too was yelling at Kulak. "No, no. Get him ! Don't back...dammit." lol as he kept skating backward. The pattern was there. Maybe next year.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
great run...if you told me last November the Oilers lose Game 7 of the SCF I would've laughed in your face

2 things need to happen next year:
- win the Division...this group hasn't done that and having home-ice makes a big difference
- start playoff series on time....Florida went up 3-0 on TB, 3-1 on Boston and 3-0 on us...the Oilers never went up in a series 2-0 and always seemed to be playing catch up (outside of Rd 1)
needed some "wiggle room" in case of bad bounces in games

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Sure and Ekholm, Hyman, Kane, Nuge will all also be a year older

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
and Broberg, Holloway and McLeod are a year older
Individually we can't avoid getting older but a GM can make their team younger. I wonder what Ekholm's long term plans are? In an early interview he said that he and his wife wanted to raise their kids in Sweden.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I too was yelling at Kulak. "No, no. Get him ! Don't back...dammit." lol as he kept skating backward. The pattern was there. Maybe next year.
He was going back because he feared the pass to slot wide open. He had to move back to respect that possibility on the play,

It was really the one time I can think of where the D backed off too much. Would be nice if the goalie could get the save there on a 75MPH unscreened shot.

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Sometimes I do want to crap on Dusty but Skinner got us to the SCF and his GAA was under 2 and his save% was over .9
With Skinner level goaltending we just two things. That it was barely adequate to get us to the final and it was just as likely to sink us at some point. We very nearly crashed the Nucks series, and DUE to Skinner. He was the #1 culprit in that series. I say that too because Skinner has always been up/down. He had peak play segments and poor play segments and with the disparity being severe. Trouble is nobody ever knows when Fred Skinner shows up. That version of Skinner is capable as well of sinking a team in a series and thankfully we got yeoman performance from Pickard for two games to salvage that series, and the playoffs.

My take is one has to look at the whole shebang, not just the recent results.

Next year will be much harder because the team will have had very little offseason rest. Teams typically struggle the season after, and will need all the help we can get, and in goal. A third season of having to outscore our goaltending is not a fantastic plan.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

The next wave is a big concern. Yes, There's Broberg and Holloway. But those Savoie, Petrov, Borgenault, Tullio
. These are drafted to be good contributors. Future looks thin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad