Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season \ Canada Soccer: MLS Refocus

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think what helped them was March started a lot of backups so a lot of fresh legs in the first half. Then when the starters came on in the second half they were better up against either tired Uruguay starters or their backups.

Might be why this was by far their best game.
Seemed to do the opposite against Mexico. Subbed out Lorenzo and Bernardeschi at the same time in the 70th minute in a tie game. Ofcourse jessie was correct as we won. Lol

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Local kid getting the winner against Pachuca. You love to see it.

Is it me, or are MX teams not the scary monster they were in the past?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It seems like a significant return but I hate giving up on a young home grown player with potential. I assume management is going to use the cap space to acquire a more proven commodity.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It seems like a significant return but I hate giving up on a young home grown player with potential. I assume management is going to use the cap space to acquire a more proven commodity.
No, the window is closed.

That might be enough to drop Laryea off DP next year though.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This tender they got Johnson .. i have only seen a few games but he does not look like a MLS titan of a tender .. did we get a guy who was good but is now washed up?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
ok thanks for insight
Basically, Johnson is a very good tender, but TFC have had some structural issues and they have been playing some horribly underperforming CB.

One fear is that Herdman wasn't very good at identifying CB for Canada either.

Wingo and Laryea should stabilize 2 of the back positions, but they might be better off trying someone like Pearlman than running Long/Gomis out there all the time.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Basically, Johnson is a very good tender, but TFC have had some structural issues and they have been playing some horribly underperforming CB.

One fear is that Herdman wasn't very good at identifying CB for Canada either.

Wingo and Laryea should stabilize 2 of the back positions, but they might be better off trying someone like Pearlman than running Long/Gomis out there all the time.
I would much rather see what we have in Pearlman.. Long is ok but limited. Gomis just looks a mess in all aspects. A physical specimen and that's all he is so far.

Johnson is a great vet to have in goal.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
If you want to see a visual representation of TFC's problems, check out: 2024 Toronto FC Roster

Basically, they have two quality DP, they have Laryea and Osorio who are high quality TAM candidates, then they are using TAM on Owusu, Petretta, Rosted, and Flores, who are a mixed bag, and who require Laryea to be DP because of the use of TAM on those guys.

If TFC hadn't signed Owusu, they could likely have bought Laryea down to TAM and brought in a DP striker.

But the problem isn't this at all. This is an overstatement of what is bubbling further down the list.

Why did TFC sign Owusu, Petretta, Rosted, Flores? The answer is because their system is heavily reliant on a high level of quality with little regard for the development of that quality.

Two things on that page should jump out. 1 of them are the guys further down the list. If you are paying peanuts for Sean Johnson and Longstaff and Coello and Franklin, then these guys actually playing and developing would either ease the cap situation by becoming guys who outperform their contracts down the road giving cheap options, or by becoming transfer candidates who could theoretically help recruit new players and possibly generate more TAM.

The second thing is the supplemental roster spots. These are essentially the prospects of the team. You need more from them.

The last quality player developed by TFC for themselves is likely Osorio.

They signed Petretta and used TAM money to be slightly better than JMR at the time (knowing that JMR could catch him in as little as a year). They signed Owusu using TAM money to take reps from the front guys (all of them are worse, but none used TAM). They signed Rosted as part of signing every defender they could find (and not playing any from their own academy). They signed Flores to fix a gap in the midfield (which Longstaff actually fixed better when they found him).

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If you want to see a visual representation of TFC's problems, check out: 2024 Toronto FC Roster

Basically, they have two quality DP, they have Laryea and Osorio who are high quality TAM candidates, then they are using TAM on Owusu, Petretta, Rosted, and Flores, who are a mixed bag, and who require Laryea to be DP because of the use of TAM on those guys.

If TFC hadn't signed Owusu, they could likely have bought Laryea down to TAM and brought in a DP striker.

But the problem isn't this at all. This is an overstatement of what is bubbling further down the list.

Why did TFC sign Owusu, Petretta, Rosted, Flores? The answer is because their system is heavily reliant on a high level of quality with little regard for the development of that quality.

Two things on that page should jump out. 1 of them are the guys further down the list. If you are paying peanuts for Sean Johnson and Longstaff and Coello and Franklin, then these guys actually playing and developing would either ease the cap situation by becoming guys who outperform their contracts down the road giving cheap options, or by becoming transfer candidates who could theoretically help recruit new players and possibly generate more TAM.

The second thing is the supplemental roster spots. These are essentially the prospects of the team. You need more from them.

The last quality player developed by TFC for themselves is likely Osorio.

They signed Petretta and used TAM money to be slightly better than JMR at the time (knowing that JMR could catch him in as little as a year). They signed Owusu using TAM money to take reps from the front guys (all of them are worse, but none used TAM). They signed Rosted as part of signing every defender they could find (and not playing any from their own academy). They signed Flores to fix a gap in the midfield (which Longstaff actually fixed better when they found him).
It's a brutal roster.. It's a non factor in developing Canadian talent which is what I thought the whole point of launching teams in this country would be. I know the Italian league is having similar complaints.

Is MLS next pro doing anything or should more players be in the CPL?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It's a brutal roster.. It's a non factor in developing Canadian talent which is what I thought the whole point of launching teams in this country would be. I know the Italian league is having similar complaints.

Is MLS next pro doing anything or should more players be in the CPL?
The Academy isn't necessarily bad. The issue is that it doesn't generate players for TFC.

Some academy graduates are Jacen Russell-Rowe, Shaffelburg, Nelson, JMR, Liam Fraser, Prison, Perruzza, Petrasso, and Kerr.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Academy isn't necessarily bad. The issue is that it doesn't generate players for TFC.

Some academy graduates are Jacen Russell-Rowe, Shaffelburg, Nelson, JMR, Liam Fraser, Prison, Perruzza, Petrasso, and Kerr.
Yeah - If it is generating talent and you sell to help the team, that is good. A combo of both is better.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
One thing that Molinaro clarified on Twitter is that TFC would have bought down Laryea's contract plus acquisition to make him a TAM this year (which is a fairly big number). Next year, it is just contract, so the JMR money can be used towards that.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 9