Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season \ Canada Soccer: MLS Refocus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The lost last night to the worst team in the east….congrats.
I watched it.. Kerr had a beauty to tie it off the bench on a rare great Laryea cross. They gave it away immediately as their back 3 were two time zones apart from each other.. The back 3 with this personnel is suicidal.. John seems to love back 3's with little speed and the one guy with some athletic ability is brain dead (Gomis)

Reactions: LeafsNet

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo
I watched it.. Kerr had a beauty to tie it off the bench on a rare great Laryea cross. They gave it away immediately as their back 3 were two time zones apart from each other.. The back 3 with this personnel is suicidal.. John seems to love back 3's with little speed and the one guy with some athletic ability is brain dead (Gomis)

Yeah not sure what he was thinking there….still think JH is a good manager.

I’m just glad Manning was booted out….here’s hoping for bigger changes next season and maybe more input from Herdman about what players he needs.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Big win for Canada today. Took an offside goal and the ref refusing to call US fouls to keep it close.

By my count, Canada is at 1501.03 for points which would be 38th in the world. That would put them 1.31 behind Panama which is significant because Nations League seeds based on where they are when the draw happens.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Just a quick note, here is the exact text about Nations League:
12.10.1. The top four (4) teams in the ranking have been pre-seeded in theQuarterfinals matchups, using the Concacaf Rankings after the InternationalWindow of October 2024 as follows:

Canada dropped to 39 (when other games happened) but are directly behind Panama.

A win against Mexico and Canada would pass Panama. A draw and Canada would be 0.03 behind Panama.

The October window has Canada playing Panama (while Panama plays Canada and the US but no one this window). Winning all three games for Canada would allow them to play the lower of the two group winners (which are likely Honduras and Costa Rica).

Another quick Nations League note: The Semi-finals are ranked based on how teams did in the quarterfinal (with ranking being the last tiebreaker).

Edit: I've been reading that wrong. Canada is now 3rd in the Concacaf Rankings (Men's National Team) which is not based on the world rankings.

The Concacaf system is a lot harder to calculate, but right now, Canada is 1769 and the US is 1805. If Canada beats Mexico, I believe that they would go to 1792 (I believe that a neutral site game follows basic ELO principles), but calculating for any game where a team is home or away is more difficult because the calculation isn't public (though the implications of each game are made aware to the clubs). The US's game against New Zealand does count towards CONCACAF rankings and is a home game for them, so if NZ gets slotted in as a Honduras level opponent, the US would likely only need to win that game and draw Panama to stay above Canada.

Without being able to compensate for home/away and putting New Zealand in as a direct Honduras comparable (they are pretty close in world rankings), a win add 2 points to the US (before the home field adjustment), but a loss would drop them to 1772 and a draw would drop them to 1790 (both numbers would be lower because of home field and both would be below Canada if Canada were to beat Mexico).

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Hard fought draw against a Mexico squad who fouled every chance they got and played not to lose.

By my quick and dirty math, the draw should move Canada to 1502.31 in the world rankings (38th). The updating sites seem to have everything but this friendly.

The official rankings come out in a week and the window only allowed 2 matches to count as in-window (all matches outside of a window get an importance score of 5 where a an in-window friendly is worth 10 and every other tournament is worth more). The window also closed at the end of games last night.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ugly game against Mexico... of course the constant Mexico fouls didn't help the flow of the game, but then we certainly didn't control the ball particularly well either. Too many unforced errors. You can see the growth overall though.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
It’s crazy how far we have come that a draw against Mexico doesn’t like an out and out success.

I thought Canada did well especially considering Mexico gameplan was heavy in the dark arts. We have matured a lot.

Can’t wait to see this team play a home game.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It’s crazy how far we have come that a draw against Mexico doesn’t like an out and out success.

I thought Canada did well especially considering Mexico gameplan was heavy in the dark arts. We have matured a lot.

Can’t wait to see this team play a home game.
North Guatemala weren't going to allow this to turn into a football match which is a bit of a show of the hand for when we meet Aguirre's men in a game that may be for a trophy. Frustrating to watch but a good test match.

Reactions: fancy lad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad