Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season \ Canada Soccer: MLS Refocus

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Also, TFC pulled off a bit of a stunner in Leagues Cup, beating Red Bulls in penalties.

If Pachuca (reigning Leagues Cup champ) beats Red Bulls on Tuesday, TFC moves on regardless of result against Pachuca.

For tiebreakers, H2H is 1st in a 2 way tie, so if Pachuca wins a shootout, Red Bulls are out.

Looking ahead, the winner of TFC's group gets the 2nd place in East 3 (likely one of Tigres or Puebla). 2nd in TFC's group likely plays Inter Miami.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I haven't really followed the drone story too closely other than the headlines, but what has been the connection of all this to John Herdman?

Surely if you connect the dots, he's massively implicated right?

When i look at it, i think the whole thing is so stupid. so unnecessary. Like how much of a possible edge would they have actually gotten from watching drone footage of a team's practice? Teams play the way the play and just watching game footage would the same effect. I don't know who is behind it, but they should be outcast.

God forbid this bad energy seeps into the mens program and Jesse Marsch resigns or something.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
What an embarassment this whole scandal is for all Canadians. Bev and her minions should be embarassed. So happy for the players though, great effort in the second half against France.
Herdman is being accused of doing the same thing against Uruguay in 2021 with the men's team. What an embarrassment indeed. I find it funny both these coaches are British and really it seems they took such risky measures not really caring about Canada's reputation or legacy because they don't actually give two shits about Canadian soccer and just wanted a paycheck. Herdman was also awful during the World Cup. Seemed like a waste of talent.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I didn't get to watch given how late it was, but Canada lost a heartbreaker to Panama at the U20 in extra time. This will improve their CONCACAF ranking, which is important on getting better draws for this tournament (Canada was 12th of 12 teams going in).

TFC advances to League Cup round of 32 with a Pachuca PS win over Red Bulls. Sunday's game will decide the group, with the loser likely getting Inter Miami.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Herdman is being accused of doing the same thing against Uruguay in 2021 with the men's team. What an embarrassment indeed. I find it funny both these coaches are British and really it seems they took such risky measures not really caring about Canada's reputation or legacy because they don't actually give two shits about Canadian soccer and just wanted a paycheck. Herdman was also awful during the World Cup. Seemed like a waste of talent.
Whoa, let's calm down just a touch here. John Herdman transformed Canadian soccer in a way that we can't understate. He turned the women's team into a perennial contender and one of the best teams in the world. Even helped us get a home Women's World Cup. He then took the men's team, qualified for the World Cup for the first time in 36 years by topping the Octagonal, ahead of both Mexico and the USA. That's no joke of a legacy.

The drone situation isn't really that embarrassing either. It's a big topic right now, but at the end of the day, they didn't do it because they didn't care about Soccer Canada, they did it because stuff like this is common place in football. Like someone above said, no one else in football does this? It's squeaky clean and Canada, of all countries, are the only ones trying to watch other teams practices in nefarious ways? I got some ocean front property in Arizona for anyone who actually believes that. Even Drogba was like "are y'all new?" when they asked him about it.

I hope they win again today and don't stop until they have another gold hanging around their necks (though honestly, I don't know how they could have the energy to go all the way given what they have been through).

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
That would be incredible. Will we know whether their Appeal was successful before the match?
Appeal was denied. Game is at 3pm today if anyone is wondering.

Also not getting into Herdman conversation. I never liked how he had handled all the talent the team had and I think he was cringe. Now he's implicated in the drone controversy. Glad he's no longer coach.

Reactions: ACC1224

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Also not getting into Herdman conversation. I never liked how he had handled all the talent the team had and I think he was cringe. Now he's implicated in the drone controversy. Glad he's no longer coach.
You can think he's cringe, you can think he didn't handle the talent wisely (the majority of the talent never seemed to mind, however), you can hate him... and none of that changes the impact he has had on Soccer Canada.

When he took over the women's team, they were fresh off a last place World Cup finish, a time Christine Sinclair calls the low point of her career (Sinclair, the best player Soccer Canada has ever seen, loves Herdman, btw) and immediately won the Pan American Games, qualified for the Olympics, and then won bronze in London. He then guided them top spot in their group at the next World Cup, and won another bronze in Rio. He then takes over the men's team, gets them to a spot they've never been at in the world rankings, wins the Octagonal over the likes of Mexico and the USA, and gets Canada to it's first Men's World Cup in 36 years. The guy is one of the most influential people to ever be a part of Soccer Canada, possibly the most influential who is not a player. Even the talent liked him. Most of the women have only great things to say about him and many of the men came out immediately when he went to TFC to debunk any myth about how he was no longer wanted.

Should he still be the men's coach? No, he should not. He took them as far as he could and Marsch is far more tactically sound. But he took the men's team a long damn way, farther than anyone before him had. All after doing the same for the women.

So again, you can not want to get into the conversation about Herdman all you want, but it doesn't change what he means to football in this country. His influence is massive.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
So again, you can not want to get into the conversation about Herdman all you want, but it doesn't change what he means to football in this country. His influence is massive.
No it's not.

And all he really did was have the best woman's player in history do her thing.

His legacy is tarnished. Disrespectful cheater.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-08-03-11-43-47~2.png

Screenshot_2024-08-03-11-29-56~4.png

Ad

Upcoming events