Movies: Terrifer 3

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Who's ready for the next bloodbath in the Terrifier series? I'm going with a group of eight people to see this Oct 11 and with the movie taking place at Christmas time who knows what our friend Art the Clown has in store for everyone :x):
art-the-clown-clown.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Btlegend082

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm intrigued by the Christmas setting and Art as Santa, but found Terrifier 2 a chore to get through. According to IMDb, this is 125 minutes, which is less than 2's 138 minutes. That's good, but I think that it's still way too long for a horror film like this. I'll certainly watch it, but I'll wait to stream it in December.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've been meaning to watch these but never have cause I've seen such mixed reviews so I always say I'll eventually get to it. I believe the makers are from the tri-state area too.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
NJ/NY/CT I believe some of the makers are from Staten Island and filmed some of the movies there too
I've met the cast a few times at a Horror convention in Niagara Falls and David Howard Thornton told me it was a short drive from where he lives in New York to get there

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
“We can only deplore this unexpected final decision, which will seriously hamper the release of the film, awaited by tens of thousands of French viewers and scheduled for October 9 (and of course maintained). Terrifier 3 is a film d’auteur in the purest tradition of the slasher genre, with perfectly “grand-guignolesque” and unrealistic violence. The film never takes itself too seriously, and we know that viewers will have the necessary distance and maturity to understand and appreciate this artistic approach.”

“In addition, for over 2 years now, we’ve been working daily and tirelessly to defend free, creative and radical genre cinema, systematically acclaimed by the press and audiences alike,” the teams continued. “The audience for these films, even teenagers, is a passionate cinephile, respectful of the works and the cinemas that show them.

“The history of genre cinema, its excesses and outrages, is intimately linked to the history of cinema itself. Restricting access to audiences will always be a serious decision with a disturbing message, isolating authors and distancing them from their public.”
Clearly, the French don't appreciate the art of cinema.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Clearly, the French don't appreciate the art of cinema.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Went with a group of people last night and everyone really enjoyed the movie. David Howard Thornton is the Mr Bean of horror with all his actions and facial expressions which was generating some laughs in the theater last night.

The gore is heavy once again in this one so I can see if someone is only used to a certain level of horror, would cringe at a few parts in this movie but it's done really well and Damien Leone is really giving that part of the horror community what they want. The shower scene is something lol...

Bring on Terrifier 4......

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Didn't realize there was a thread for this but here are my thoughts that I posted in the horror thread:

I took the dive into the Terrifier series this week, watching the first two in the same day and seeing the third installment in theaters today.

Terrifier - 6/10

I was pleasantly surprised with this one despite the shortcomings. For such a low budget it made quite the impression (which resulted in me watching the second film later in the same day). I thought David Howard Thornton's performance as Art the mute clown was exceptional, otherwise the acting wasn't great. Having a killer clown with no motive or background helped enhance his creepiness, and his willingness to just stroll around town like he's a normal member of society.

The plot was weak, two college age girls encounter Art on the sidewalk during Halloween and so starts their night of misery. For the next hour and a half Art spends his time stalking his prey and mocking them as he pantomimes.

Everything but the level of gore was predictable. If you're squeamish then this definitely isn't for you. Great practical effects.

Terrifier 2 - 6/10

While the sequel has some issues, it was nice to see some better acting and an actual attempt at a plot in this one. Laura LaVera is introduced as the new protagonist and she does a great job with what she's given. The production quality has definitely gone up in this film and it's noticeable.

The two glaring issues with this entry are that the runtime is way too long (~2:30) and the plot dives into the paranormal side of things and I think that makes Art significantly less interesting. There are entire scenes that just didn't need to be in the film or could've been cut significantly shorter, and the ending dragged on for quite some time. There's a "is the killer really dead" rinse and repeat phase that just didn't need to be there.

Some of the gore in this one managed to outdo the original film and I was pretty surprised by that.

Terrifier 3 - 5/10

This was easily the weakest of the three movies I've seen.

The runtime issue was addressed and chopped off 30 minutes so it's just two hours, which is plenty. This one deviates from Halloween and is around Christmas, with our favorite killer clown donning a Santa costume through most of the movie.

While there has always been an element of comedy to Art, this one goes to that well a bit too much for my liking. Overall the portrayal is still good but he's just not as menacing in this one because he spends too much time on screen making jokes.

Diving deeper into the paranormal stuff isn't doing this franchise any favors, as I think it's a lazy way to just explain away anything a writer doesn't want to have actually deal with. I've read that the writer Damien Leone has mentioned that the next installment will actually have a definitive end to that aspect of the films (and there's supposed to be a fifth movie after that) so that's kind of interesting...(maybe?).

The acting from the secondary characters in this one is the most over the top and unbelievable of the series.

Part of what made me want to watch the series was recent reviews talking about how over the top and disgusting the opening scene of the film was. While I understand why some people would say that, it didn't outdo the previous two films for me. The ending had a bit more of what I've come to expect but I still like the execution in the previous movies better.

Overall: I'm glad I watched these three movies. Art is up there for me as one of the better villain portrayals. He's legitimately creepy and fun at various points. The gore is so over the top with excellent practical effects. It constantly has me shaking my head questioning how the f*** they came up with the idea for some of these scenes. Lauren LaVera deserves to get more recognition and opportunities after seeing her in these.

If you're looking for a well written horror movie, this isn't it. If you're looking for an over the top gruesome gorefest then this is for you.

No, and now I'm more upset by not receiving one than I am from anything in the movie.

That's a great little promotional gimmick though.

To just address the supposed public freakout to the gore in this one:

The level of gore and depravity wasn't far off from what we've already seen in the earlier movies so I tend to think the outrage/freakout is manufactured to help drive people to see the film.

What is different from most movies that could get people to say the director crossed a line is that murdering and dismembering teenagers is a perfectly acceptable part of horror movies, doing the same thing to children is generally a no-go. Sure, there are films that show children turn into zombies, demons, etc. or get killed off, but it usually happens rather quickly and/or off screen. That's where Terrifier 3 dared to be different, showing the audience children getting hacked to pieces by an overly excited clown in a Santa Claus outfit.

During the lead up I found myself wondering if they'd actually show it. I was definitely a little turned off by seeing it, but at no point did I think it crossed a line that would make me get up and leave or need to vomit into a bag. It was more of a, "wow, they really don't give a f***" and a "that's uncomfortable to watch" reaction.

Later on in the movie blows up a bunch of children but most of that happens off screen so it wasn't nearly as bad for the viewer.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Didn't realize there was a thread for this but here are my thoughts that I posted in the horror thread:
We all said if you've seen the first two movies you will be fine with this one so I would agree the hype is overblown which is usually the case with movies...

Nobody left my theater during the movie but we did want those Terrifier 3 barf bags as a souvenir but there were none at our theater either.

Lauren Lavera is fantastic

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad