Tell us about your hockey playing background

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
As I've been slowly integrating myself into this community, I've seen little bits of people talking about their experiences not just being fans of the sport, but of actually having played the sport. As a guy who grew up in Northern California with really no hockey culture at all (the Golden Seals don't count), other than sometimes reading articles in the paper and watching what would could of the 1980 gold medal team, I had no real exposure to hockey until the Sharks came into being. We had an ice rink in town and sometimes kids would have birthday parties there, which gave kids like me the opportunity to clutch onto the side rail for dear life as we tried to figure out how to skate. I never was a particularly good athlete in any of the sports, so other than youth leagues, I never advanced far in any of them.

But I think it would be interesting to have people talk about their experiences playing hockey - What position did you play? What level did you get to? Were you a left shot or right shot and did anybody pressure you to pick one over the other.

Hopefully people will find this an interesting topic and a fun way to learn a little more about each other.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I got into hockey through video games in the late 80s/early 90s. Rollerbladed a lot back then too. I went to school in the Bay Area and after the US/CAN Olympic game in 2010, I joined a learn to play team @ 27 yrs old. Shoutout to the old Valco rink.

Been playing ever since. I like center but often stuck on D because folks are unable to understand how to play defense/read a play. Never quite understood that but here we are even in an immediate division. Maybe because I grew up playing soccer.

I've also ref'd off and on through the years. Probably ref'd ~100 beer league games so not a ton.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
My passion for hockey started with the ‘80 Miracle on Ice. I watched Rangers and Devils games on the MSG network and came to be a Devils fan due to John Maclean and Sean Burke.
Being in California, I started playing roller hockey. First on tennis courts then in organized leagues across the Bay Area. I then turned to ice hockey but roller was my first love.
Eventually, I had kids and hung up the skates. 23 years that I enjoyed thoroughly and put forth my best effort. I am a center first and foremost but I’ve played every position, even goaltender. Just to know how it is for them.
This game addded to my life and I am an absolute fan of the San Jose Sharks.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Fun to read everyone's stories!

Born in the 80s, when the Sharks came to town I became a R catch goalie (weirdo), played on the Santa Clara Jr Blackhawks and SJ Blades travel teams. Was tiny and a late bloomer, and when I stopped making the A team because of it, the B team practices were 1130pm and Mom said "F that." Did another sport through soph year college, but it was a Hockey Hiatus for 10 years until I picked up men's league and grad school club in my mid twenties.

In the upper echelon of grad school club, playing with guys who played NCAA Div 1,2,3 or college club, I was a responsible energy winger with very little offensive contribution - Grier style baby. At lower levels I played C/W. Now, in men's league, I float around wherever the team needs, often D which requires more reads and hockey sense typically, even at a B/C level. Somehow I'm still decently fast and now normal sized and solid on the skates. Still love to play a two way game but better naturally at the defensive side because of my goalie roots, so learning how to be more creative and aggressive on offense, but pretty good at making transition passes or setting folks up in the OZ. My worst attributes are probably on puck (stickhandling and finish) and you can always get better at skating, especially as the level ramps up.

I also hate offense only forwards. But the thing I hate the most is whiners and people who don't skate hard. Just play a hard game and have fun!

One of the great pleasures of hockey is it feels like I'm still getting better as a player even in my middle age.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I was a first California born kid in my family, who comes from Massachusetts. SJ is my home town. Every summer I’d go back east and watch my cousins play and I was jelly. Then the Sharks came and I got obsessed. I still remember the Mercury News story that had all the rules with drawings of ref gestures. We got some street hockey sticks and tried to play, got NHL on Genesis and learned a bit more about the game.

But it wasn’t till 26 years old (2006) did I finally try hockey on ice via Sharks Ice Saturday morning learn to play program. I joined a new team following that class and haven’t stopped playing since (except for Covid).

I’m now a beer league vet at Sharks Ice.

I shoot left, despite feeling more comfortable shooting right. Puck handling just felt better left handed.

I play all positions, but mainly D lately cuz peeps don’t wanna play it, or can’t. Some guys I know have been playing for 10+ years still can’t cross over backwards 😂.

But I like D, especially breaking out. I get to feel like a quarter back with a good first pass.

I’m a conservative D man, but when I play F I’m much more aggressive and love deeking D-men (especially considering I play D a lot).

I love C when I’m in shape. Otherwise i lose my assignments too much.

I love the game. Will never stop playing, and learning. Currently working on a my Bedard-mechanics-shot. Off ice it is getting nasty, but still trying to translate it to ice and game situations. It’s feeling more natural every practice.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I was born in the early 90s on the peninsula. My family didn't know anything about hockey but I got into it, mostly because of Owen Nolan. I learned to skate around 17 at the end of high school at ice oasis redwood city and Belmont ice (rip to both).

I went to college in Minnesota and played on a club team which 1) was full contact, and 2) had a wild variance of skill, from me who was just learning to skate all the way to a few folks would could have played juniors. I'm thankful to have escaped without a concussion. There, I got to see a bit of US hockey culture different than the Bay --- waiting for ice at Shattuck and seeing what these 10 year olds can do was crazy.

Anyway, I've played ever since in beer leagues --- playing hockey has been a highlight of my life and I'm thankful for having had the opportunity.

Reactions: Munnyro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad