Tell me why I shouldn’t worry about the Canucks slipping

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
From a talent perspective it would be some sort of travesty if they managed to miss the playoffs with a roster that good.

That said, "having a coach like Tocchet" is a statement that really means nothing when he's made the playoffs in 2 of his 9 seasons as head coach. I'm not hopping on that hype train just yet, maybe in due time.
to be fair, a cohesive organisation will make everyone look good. The Panthers were a laughingstock team not too long ago until Zito changed all that. Maurice wasnt a tier 1 coach until he stepped into a good organization and he got the support to shine, you can see that extra bounce his step during the run.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One answer: PDO
The PDO thing with Vancouver last year was kind of a meme.

They got off on a bender the first third or so of the season, but they finished the season 7th in CF% and 8th in xGF%. They were legitimately one of the top teams at 5v5.

They did end up 1st in PDO but it was buoyed by a ridiculous start, and it's not that meaningful when you have other metrics to back it up.

That's not to say they'll definitely be a good team, because who knows the future, but they were last year.

Reactions: Bgav

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
to be fair, a cohesive organisation will make everyone look good. The Panthers were a laughingstock team not too long ago until Zito changed all that. Maurice wasnt a tier 1 coach until he stepped into a good organization and he got the support to shine, you can see that extra bounce his step during the run.
I agree, people here still think Benning is managing the team and forgot we changed all of our staff, management, coaches, assistant coaches etc. Heck Canucks fired even their writers, hotdog stand person etc. Plus we now have Sedins, Malhotra, Gonchar, Foote, Tocchet and others that have cup experience or been in this business for ages. Definitely the opposite of mickey mouse ran organization that was headed by Benning and a guy who couldnt fax paperworks to NHL in Weisbrod 🤣

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Stranger things have happened. I know you’re emotionally bound to them. Good luck this season.
Going back 26 points with their current roster would be something. But yes - we shall see

From a talent perspective it would be some sort of travesty if they managed to miss the playoffs with a roster that good.

That said, "having a coach like Tocchet" is a statement that really means nothing when he's made the playoffs in 2 of his 9 seasons as head coach. I'm not hopping on that hype train just yet, maybe in due time.
Fairest thing that's been said in this thread. If they take a step back sounds like people think they will be going down 20 plus points. lol

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The PDO thing with Vancouver last year was kind of a meme.

They got off on a bender the first third or so of the season, but they finished the season 7th in CF% and 8th in xGF%. They were legitimately one of the top teams at 5v5.

They did end up 1st in PDO but it was buoyed by a ridiculous start, and it's not that meaningful when you have other metrics to back it up.

That's not to say they'll definitely be a good team, because who knows the future, but they were last year.
Only thing that could make them miss playoffs would be slew of major injuries. Otherwise it would not be likely at all for them to miss playoffs especially playing in a weak division. Calgary, SJ and Anaheim are pretty much rebuilding teams guaranteed to miss playoffs. Which leaves a weak seattle team that cant score much and LA without Doughty now. Even Vegas is neutered with the ampunt of players they have lost over the years in Stephenson, Tuck, Marchy, Pacioretty etc. Edmonton will be tops and probably the only road block for Canucks.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Want to bet your house on it? I doubt you would if you have one 🤣

Imagine all that depth and having a coach like Tocchet, foote and Gonchar not only miss playoffs but finish in bottom 10. Man the things i read on HFboard is hilarious. It woulf be similar to me saying Oilers or Florida will miss playoffs.

Canucks forward group

Sprong-Miller-Boeser
Lekker-Pettersson-Debrusk
Joshua-Raty-Garland
Hoglander-Bluger-Suter
Sherwood, Heinen, Blais

Yeah i cant imagine a team that has 2 20 goal scorers on line 4, 2 20 goal scorers on line 3, 2 30 goal scorers on line 2, 2 40 goal scorers plus a 20 goal scorer on line 1 plus players like sherwood, Heinen, Blais, Di Giuseppe as extras miss playoffs 🤣
The depth of our forward group is so.much we might have to waive players like Heinen or Di Giuseppe.

That's arguably the worst LW lineup in the entire NHL. Sprong won't play there, he needs to be hidden on the 4th line(average of 11:25 on Seattle, 12:00 on Detroit) so his atrocious defence isn't exposed and Lekker is a 20 year old rookie who will most likely spend time in the AHL. As for the RW, you have 3 2nd liners. Boeser never had more than 56 points before last year, Debrusk 50 points high, Garland 52 points high, there's no game changers here either. That team lives and die with Petey and JT. The rest is very mid. Wouldn't call that incredible depth.

They're not missing the POs with that horrible western conference but that lineup doesn't scream elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad