Teemu Selanne peak vs David Pastrnak now?

Who is the better player at their peak?

• Selanne

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • Pasta

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Even

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Selanne beats him by every metric.

Highest goal scoring placements:

Selanne: 1, 1, 1, 2
Pasta: 1, 2

Points finishes:

Selanne: 2, 2, 5, 5
Pasta: 3, 3, 5

Adjusted points:

Selanne: 122, 113, 107, 103, 99
Pasta: 112, 108, 107, 82, 81

The only thing that might make it closer is the Kariya factor.

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Selanne will win this poll handily not because I think selanne is a much better player then pasta, selanne peaked in year 1 with a few more 50 goal seasons and know for his longevity. This poll needs to be redone in 10 years. Pasta is still writing his story

Reactions: Dingo

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Selanne will win this poll handily not because I think selanne is a much better player then pasta, selanne peaked in year 1 with a few more 50 goal seasons and know for his longevity. This poll needs to be redone in 10 years. Pasta is still writing his story
To be fair the OP did specify peak play, so I don't think Selanne's lengthy prime should factor into this much (which is one of his greatest strengths)

So the comparison should be their best season (or best 2, 3 seasons) head to head

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Was selanne better than Kariya from 96-01 of whenever they played together?

Pastrnak has been 40-50 pts better than Marchand these past two years at his peak.

Selanne pt and goal scoring finishes benefited from No Lemieux for his prime while Pastrnak has the 3rd best playet ever and a top 5 goal scorer ever in matthews hes competing against.

If pastranak can put another 100-110 pt year where bruins second best player has 70ish pts then it should be him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Was selanne better than Kariya from 96-01 of whenever they played together?

Pastrnak has been 40-50 pts better than Marchand these past two years at his peak.

Selanne pt and goal scoring finishes benefited from No Lemieux for his prime while Pastrnak has the 3rd best playet ever and a top 5 goal scorer ever in matthews hes competing against.

If pastranak can put another 100-110 pt year where bruins second best player has 70ish pts then it should be him.

Selanne showed he’d score a ton without Kariya in his rookie year where he had a 35 and 50 point lead over the team’s 2nd and 3rd leading scorer. He also dominated in 97-98 when Kariya missed 3/4 of the year. Despite missing 9 games himself, and a roster where the next best offensive players were Rucchin and Mironov, Selanne still led the league in goals and was 3rd in points per game.

As far as competition, Selannne did face a reasonably healthy Lemieux in ‘93, ‘96 and ‘97. He literally was runner up to Lemieux for the Art Ross in ‘97. He also faced prime Jagr, who might not quite be McDavid, but would have also beat Pastrnak for awards. Matthews has been largely inconsequential for Pastrnak. Pasta beat him for the Richard in ‘20, and the only other year he was a serious threat for the Richard was Matthews’ down year in ‘23.

Last edited:

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Wasn’t even the only 76 goal scorer in that bizzarro season, never even scored 60 again , highest after was 52 and only reached the 50 goal mark twice .

Maybe he’s better than Pasta but “76 lol mic drop” nonsense is lame.
agreed. If that is case closed, then Selanne also trumps Ovechkin, Crosby and McDavid..... and nearly everyone ever.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Selanne's "peak" was his rookie year unfortunately. After he got his tendon got severed intentionally by a skate, he never was the same.

In my opinion, Selanne was so good, he could have gone down in the top five in NHL of all time and I don't mean just the 5th...it was possible he could have been top 3 even.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Selanne's "peak" was his rookie year unfortunately. After he got his tendon got severed intentionally by a skate, he never was the same.

In my opinion, Selanne was so good, he could have gone down in the top five in NHL of all time and I don't mean just the 5th...it was possible he could have been top 3 even.

I think that was his peak physically but he was better in Anaheim imo. He was smarter and more rounded. He was a big cherry picker and softer in ‘93. If he never had the injury though he’d likely have been even better in Anaheim.

Reactions: Rorschach

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm a Bruins fan and a huge Pastrnak fan, but this isn't a fair contest. Selanne's 93 season was something untouchable.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Maybe he’s better than Pasta but “76 lol mic drop” nonsense is lame.
No kidding.

At the end of the day, Selanne still tied for the league lead in goals as a rookie which is insanely impressive regardless of the goal scoring environment but in terms of the actual total of 76, 1992/93 was an absurd anomaly of a season.

I made a thread about that season a while back because of how peculiar it was. Of the top 100 scorers that season, exactly half had their career best point total that year. Of the top 20 rookies, 8 of them had their career season that year. A rookie season also being your career best is a very rare phenomenon. 8/20 rookies that season having that be the case (Selanne included) goes to show how easy it was to score that year.

Selanne gets all the credit in the world for winning a (retroactive) Rocket as a rookie but the 76 goals part does a lot of heavy lifting for his career legacy and it's not as impressive as it sounds. Pasta's 61 is equally impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium