Weekes: Teams trying to trade for Sasha Chmelevski

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think Weekesy is never in the frame because it's not about him, the focus should be on the players and the news he's breaking. But his forehead has to be there or else we might suspect it being a fake or a hacker.

If it was my forehead on his twitter, we'd know instantly, who is this bum and can we trust him?!

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I never understood this. “This $10 bill in my pocket was in my pants when I put them on. I better trade it for 3 singles”

It actually makes a lot of sense. Every GM in the league has their own views on the kind of players they want, and if player A doesn't have what they like, they move on to someone who fits what they want. Lots of coaches and GMs don't want just offence guys because a large portion of the game is played in your own end and with the puck on the other teams stick. Unless you are a star player, who is very good offensively, just offence and nothing else guys will struggle to get a lot of playing time with most hockey coaches.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think it is because Mike Grier has a certain style of play that he wants the team to do that Chmelevski does not seem to have. When Chmelevski was with the Sharks and in the AHL he was clearly skilled offensively but did not seem to engage defensively like he needed to which frustrated the coaching staff and I think prevented him from getting better opportunities with the Sharks.
Agreed, he scores goals which definitely isn't the Sharks style of play.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I doubt there would be that much interest if was a winger instead of a center.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It says he's originally from Huntington Beach and grew up practicing in Anaheim.
Wouldn't mind the Ducks acquiring an OC native with talent like him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why wouldn't San Jose give him another chance, or he doesn't want to there ?

I'd imagine it's a pretty mutual, two-way street on not revisiting that.

Grier doesn't seem too keen on the sort of players the previous regime drafted and he inherited. He's building his own team his own way, from the ground up basically. Bringing back a holdover probably just isn't worth it given where they're at, and trying to build a new culture with the organization. Don't need links to the past like that.

From the player's end, i'd imagine it was also expressed by his agent that if he's coming back to the NHL, he'd probably rather do it somewhere fresh where he didn't already flame out once. Probably doesn't want or need reminders of that past either.

Also totally unsurprised the Canucks have apparently kicked some tires on Chmelevski. He's a Dan Milstein client. Which means Canucks are automatically interested. I have a hard time seeing him as a Rick Tocchet sort of player whatsoever, unless he's radically overhauled his game over in the KHL. But basically "free talent" is hard to turn your nose up at.

I'm assuming the "price" to acquire his rights will be a pittance, and the contract will be a cheaper "prove it" flyer type deal. Once players have made a go in North America and washed out, it tends to create a bit of a stigma, compared to "fresh meat" from the KHL that hasn't already proven they can't hack it once. Every now and then it happens, Dadonov comes to mind...but he was a lot better in Florida than Chmelevski ever was, and probably a better KHLer too.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
His game is built for the KHL. Needs lots of space to produce, and there’s lots of space in that league these days, for ANY skilled player. Even if those players can’t create space themselves.

At some point, people are going to figure out how far the KHL has fallen. It’s like watching roller games anymore. Very few dmen, with great 1 on 1 defensive skills. Much less than the SHL these days, and laughable when compared to the AHL. Lots of really bad teams that play zone systems, because of that same lack of talent, that gives space to players like Leivo, etc.

Its why you always have to be concerned with giving too much respect to players who pile up stats in the league. Completely different game, than playing in the NHL.

He’ll get another chance because he’s skilled. That’s a given at his age, but there’s a reason SJ gave up on him, and isn’t very interested in his return.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
His game is built for the KHL. Needs lots of space to produce, and there’s lots of space in that league these days, for ANY skilled player. Even if those players can’t create space themselves.

At some point, people are going to figure out how far the KHL has fallen. It’s like watching roller games anymore. Very few dmen, with great 1 on 1 defensive skills. Much less than the SHL these days, and laughable when compared to the AHL. Lots of really bad teams that play zone systems, because of that same lack of talent, that gives space to players like Leivo, etc.

Its why you always have to be concerned with giving too much respect to players who pile up stats in the league. Completely different game, than playing in the NHL.

He’ll get another chance because he’s skilled. That’s a given at his age, but there’s a reason SJ gave up on him, and isn’t very interested in his return.
The odds are very good that you’re correct. The most likely outcome is he’s not a valuable NHL player. But late bloomers like Michael Bunting and Conor Garland (etc) aren’t unique to North American pro leagues. Occasionally a guy comes out of nowhere, a bit later, in Russia. Every once in a while they end up being solid NHLers.

Is this guy the next one? Maybe, maybe not.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

You say this like it’s fact. Maybe they didn’t want to promise him NHL time. He left in the Grier turnover era and I’m pretty sure he signed there before Grier was hired. Sharks really didn’t have a chance to sign him. Also who knows maybe sharks want him back but Chmelevski wants to go somewhere to win.

Chmelevski looked fine in SJ when he was there. He had very high work rate and great skating. He had a little bit of offensive pop that was continually creating chances that his linemates couldn’t finish. He did play with Couture a bit but he also played with trash like Gregor, Nieto, Weatherby, Reedy, Gadjovich, etc. and if you aren’t saying who to over half of those names well I’d be a bit surprised.

He will be a fine bottom 6 option. He PKed, he generated chances, he will provide solid depth to a team like Tampa or Colorado for cheap.

Reactions: Grantham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad