Post-Game Talk: Team is still broken

OilfaninTO

Aug 1, 2020
Just because someone writes some junk article in a newspaper that no one reads anymore or hosts an internet podcast doesn’t give them some sort of otherworldly knowledge on hockey.
So you agree then? You think you, random Joe Blow, know more than the people who have been covering hockey their entire careers? Good on you little buddy.

Reactions: Stoneman89

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
So you agree then? You think you, random Joe Blow, know more than the people who have been covering hockey their entire careers? Good on you little buddy.
Listen "little buddy" - a lot of the American journalists who get to vote for NHL awards are straight up homers and dummies who don't know jack

There are at least five journalists in this City who supposedly cover hockey for a living and nearly everything that comes out of their mouth is moronic

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean, it happens all the time.
I hear people whose jobs are to cover a single topic get shit wrong all the time. And easily verifiable shit too.
“journalists” and sports media aren’t infallible. Like shit look at how many old timey guys are left that clearly have had the sport pass them by.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I mean, it happens all the time.
I hear people whose jobs are to cover a single topic get shit wrong all the time. And easily verifiable shit too.
“journalists” and sports media aren’t infallible. Like shit look at how many old timey guys are left that clearly have had the sport pass them by.
Nah, remember , these writers are the experts. Hell, the year everybody voted for McDavid for the Hart, we had one PWHA member from Pittsburgh be the only one in hockey to not vote for 97 (He voted Crosby with his hilarious homer vote). But hey, he's an expert.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They were just in game 7 of a Cup Final where the result is a coin flip. McDavid just won the freaking Conn Smythe trophy too. They already proved they can play a style that gets you there.

We're just shooting a ridiculously low shooting percentage and everyone wants to point fingers at 5000 different things.
It's never one thing though, and this is definitely not the same team as last year.

Last edited:

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
They were just in game 7 of a Cup Final where the result is a coin flip. McDavid just won the freaking Conn Smythe trophy too. They already proved they can play a style that gets you there.

We're just shooting a ridiculously low shooting percentage and everyone wants to point fingers at 5000 different things.

There have been a lot of changes with this team though. Personnel wise, I tend to agree with those who are saying that we are worse and there definitely need to be more changes, especially on the back end

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It's never one thing though, and this is definitely not the same team as last year.
The style includes a young and fast team through the middle of the lineup.

They abandoned that, the minute Holland took off. OK I get Jackson took a calculated risk, but Bowman turned stupid and walked away from both players. Instead opting to sign pylons as replacements. Some fans lauded this move.. those fans probably also lined up at 3 am at WEM to get Emberson and Dermotts autograph

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hockey world disagrees.

Maybe was a bad time for Oilers fans, but I think many people did watch Crosby absolutely dominate 2-way hockey to get his last 2 cups. The first one more than the 2nd to be fair and there were all kinds of crazy goaltending messes that the Pens worked through with Fleury. Crosby had a 0.960 PDO in 2016, but he came up big when it mattered and played hard minutes.

That said, Crosby never dominated offensively like McDavid did last playoffs. McDavid did all you could ever ask of a player to try to win a cup. He ended the playoffs with 2 completely useless wingers, and his 2nd line C being an injured mess and Florida was able to just swarm him all night long in the series with multiple players. Not really his fault.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe was a bad time for Oilers fans, but I think many people did watch Crosby absolutely dominate 2-way hockey to get his last 2 cups. The first one more than the 2nd to be fair and there were all kinds of crazy goaltending messes that the Pens worked through with Fleury. Crosby had a 0.960 PDO in 2016, but he came up big when it mattered and played hard minutes.

That said, Crosby never dominated offensively like McDavid did last playoffs. McDavid did all you could ever ask of a player to try to win a cup. He ended the playoffs with 2 completely useless wingers, and his 2nd line C being an injured mess and Florida was able to just swarm him all night long in the series with multiple players. Not really his fault.
Agreed with all you said. And of course McDavid is a marvelous talent and did great last year in the playoffs. But there is always room for improvement and to round out his game. At this point, no one is going to consider either he or Draisaitl a serious threat for the Selke award, and that is an understatement. Plenty of time for that to happen, but this is now.

Crosby could retire tomorrow and rest his case.

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Agreed with all you said. And of course McDavid is a marvelous talent and did great last year in the playoffs. But there is always room for improvement and to round out his game. At this point, no one is going to consider either he or Draisaitl a serious threat for the Selke award, and that is an understatement. Plenty of time for that to happen, but this is now.

Crosby could retire tomorrow and rest his case.

Yeah, if I had to guess, I think McDavid in his 30's is gonna end up dominant on faceoffs and more of a 2-way guy. Too much passion for the game for him to not keep trying to add things to try to stay effective as his speed declines.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad