Post-Game Talk: Team is still broken

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I noticed every other post isn't hating Nurse. Does that mean he was passable on the right side?
In all fairness, I thought he was serviceable. But one game does not create a trend for future performance.

And frankly there were so many hotter tire fires to extinguish in the game.

I do hope they don’t abandon the experiment. Give it a chance to confirm either way. It’s on that I’m struggling to have faith in this staff. They seem to have lost the trademark patience they once showed.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Henrique we knew was going to be surrounded by stone hands in the bottom 6 and it would likely tank his production and sure enough that's happening already. Sure again... small sample... but that trend looks like it could definitely continue with the speed and ages and finish those players have exhibited in the recent past.
Poor Adam. He’s only been in the league for 13 seasons. I guess he can’t be expected to show some balls and make anything happen. On early returns this guy has not been much at all. He’s barely even noticeable on most shifts. Skating round collecting his checks like a half dozen other guys on the roster.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
In all fairness, I thought he was serviceable. But one game does not create a trend for future performance.

And frankly there were so many hotter tire fires to extinguish in the game.

I do hope they don’t abandon the experiment. Give it a chance to confirm either way. It’s on that I’m struggling to have faith in this staff. They seem to have lost the trademark patience they once showed.

If hes passable on the right side, they can find a higher upgrade LD than a RD. Assuming we actually are in the playoff hunt by TDL lol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We're only 4 points behind Vegas for 2nd in the division, 6 behind Calgary but I think they come back down to earth. The team has been playing better as the season progresses but they need to find Nurse a partner and tighten up defensively.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
No offense, but why is Hyman getting shifts on OT?

There's literally no part of his game that is OT-friendly.
Nostalgia. Favoritism. Same reason why Ryan Nothing-Hopkins gets OT ice time (or any pp or top 6 ice time). Because this org favors old vets over skill/youth and now that's all that's left on this roster. There's literally nothing else to draw from.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Not the reason we lost, but how did Darnell look on the right side? I noticed a little bit of confusion but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Maybe Darnell is the Broberg replacement and Dermott is the Nurse replacement

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'll take responsibility. Heard it was a pretty high pace game and turned it on mid way through :P
I saw McDavid had 2 goals and was thinking he must of heard me call his shot accuracy crap in the pre game thread haha.
Then I watched him in the second half and man he was flying.. generating so much. And to be quite honest.. making a mess of the plays when it came crunch time to score. That one pass that has been mentioned may have been the worst look off I've seen yet from him. I'm not saying this to slag him. I'm saying this because I think it's a microcosm of what's wrong with the team. There's a mental block in place right now up and down this line up when it comes time to finish a scoring chance.

Every game goalie x plays great.
Every game they score lower then any of the fancy stats say they should.

This team has confidence/mental issues when it comes to scoring. Which with the talent on the team it's quite a contradiction to what's expected. Which is funny enough, not shocking considering it's the Oilers.

I hope they break out of it quickly but I've said this a lot lately. They usually get out of this by introducing a real sense of Urgency.
I'm just not sure if it's the threat of the season being lost or if it's the guilt of a coach getting fired.

In 2021-2022 they weren't all that good until Tippet got fired about mid point in the season? Caught fire after to finish the second half.
In 2022-2023 they were a pretty average team at the quarter pole or even half way into the season with Woodcroft before having a big second half
In 2023-2024 they were awful and didn't respond until Woodcroft was fired near the quarter pole. Then were pretty damn good.
In 2024-2025 they're 2-4-1 and can't score for the life of them despite generating chances like a top scoring team. Will this continue until a sense of urgency or guilt is introduced? Season slipping away? they can't really fire another coach can they?

I hope they turn it around sooner than later. But history tells me there's probably another 5-10 games of this.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
McDavid scored twice and was still bad. That absurd pass he attempted to Hyman after he picked the puck off right in front of Freddy was so ridiculous. That’s a grade A look thrown away in a tie game. Then he just abandons the play in OT. Just low IQ hockey.

The painful part is he started the game playing a shooting, north/south, fast, effective style of hockey that we are used to from him. Was driving to the net as well.

Then slowly, but surely, he went back to his new old ways. That stupid pass to Hyman the highlight. The team followed right along too, started with fast, quick possession, shooting hockey, then slowly decided that plodding around the ice looking for cute plays was more fun.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
7 games into the season, 7 players without a point. Arvidsson and Hyman are 2 of them. That’s unacceptable from them, ESPECIALLY with their line mates.

Draisaitl leads the team in penalty minutes.

Currently the NHL hits leader has 44 hits, the most an Oilers has is 19 (Podkolzin) second most is Henrique with 9 then McDavid with 8. Oilers averaging 18 hits a game which is in the bottom 5.

Kulak is leading the defence in points.
We have a winnable stretch of hockey coming up. Penguins, red wings and jackets. See how we do against those 3. We are currently 2-1-1 in our last 4 and playing some pretty terrible hockey. If Hyman and Arv get it going we are capable of getting on a winning streak

It’s a shame. Skinner played his best game of the season, and made a couple absolutely incredible saves. I can’t believe we still f***ing lost.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We have a winnable stretch of hockey coming up. Penguins, red wings and jackets. See how we do against those 3. We are currently 2-1-1 in our last 4 and playing some pretty terrible hockey. If Hyman and Arv get it going we are capable of getting on a winning streak

It’s a shame. Skinner played his best game of the season, and made a couple absolutely incredible saves. I can’t believe we still f***ing lost.

Traditionally over the past few years we play like shit against the Red Wings and Jackets, I don't expect those to be lay ups either for this group. We normally destroy the Penguins, so let's hope that they're the ones to get this team scoring.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Traditionally over the past few years we play like shit against the Red Wings and Jackets, I don't expect those to be lay ups either for this group. We normally destroy the Penguins, so let's hope that they're the ones to get this team scoring.
We have Nashville after that too and we normally play strong against them

But then it gets nasty after thaT

Flames who are rolling right now
Devils strong
Vegas
Canucks

If we don’t do well in this 4 game stretch it doesn’t get any easier for us unfortunately

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Anybody moaning the "old and slow" trope needs to re-watch the first 10-15 mins of that game again. The group was making fast, crisp passes in all three zones and were making plays towards the net with speed. I suspect that they were harassed into playing this way from the start, because slowly, but surely they reverted into their shell of over passing and dusting off every single puck touch.

They play a slow game because they have slow brains and have bad habits. They can play a fast game whenever they want to, they just don't want to right now. When will they want to? Well usually that's around January 1 every year.

It's stupid, it's unfathomable, its embarrassing, and its frankly pathetic that this group takes 3 months to remember how to play hockey every season no matter how many "lessons" they claim to have learned over the years. It is what it is though. Just how things are in the Oilers organization.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Really sucks was happy with how the offseason started but not how it ended

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Anybody moaning the "old and slow" trope needs to re-watch the first 10-15 mins of that game again. The group was making fast, crisp passes in all three zones and were making plays towards the net with speed. I suspect that they were harassed into playing this way from the start, because slowly, but surely they reverted into their shell of over passing and dusting off every single puck touch.

They play a slow game because they have slow brains and have bad habits. They can play a fast game whenever they want to, they just don't want to right now. When will they want to? Well usually that's around January 1 every year.

It's stupid, it's unfathomable, its embarrassing, and its frankly pathetic that this group takes 3 months to remember how to play hockey every season no matter how many "lessons" they claim to have learned over the years. It is what it is though. Just how things are in the Oilers organization.
There is clearly a pattern there.
The question is...why?

The leadership group is the obvious answer but many want to point fingers at the bottom 6.
The bottom 6 doesnt drive a team...the leadership group does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad