Post-Game Talk: Team is still broken

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Didn't watch this one. Same story so far as last year and I'm beginning to think that our little run to the finals involved quite a bit of luck. As predicted there won't be a lot of home ice advantage (if any) come playoff time. Too bad.

Not watching the Oilers feels like a good life choice at this point. I'm skipping the rest of the games in October too. F*** this s***!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TheSuperElite

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Time for some drastic measures

Skinner-McDavid-Brown
Henrique-Draisaitl-Perry
Janmark-Nuge-Hyman
Podkolzin-Ryan-Arvidsson

You want to play in the top 6? Score a goal.

You want off the 4th line? Get a point. (Hyman is lucky there are 3 other players who have done as little as him).

Ditto for the top PP unit. Until you score a goal you’re not out on the PP. Sorry Nuge, sorry Hyman. Jeff Skinner in front of the net, Henrique in Nuges spot.

Reactions: TheSuperElite

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sure it's a small sample (it's early season so samples are small for every team... both good and bad)... but point remains that in those 7 games... McDrai are contributing ~39% of the teams production.

Do we expect those 2 to produce 45% or 50% or more of the entire team's offensive production even in small samples?
Those %’s swing wildly every game. Especially when’re scoring just 2 goals a game.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
7 games into the season, 7 players without a point. Arvidsson and Hyman are 2 of them. That’s unacceptable from them, ESPECIALLY with their line mates.

Draisaitl leads the team in penalty minutes.

Currently the NHL hits leader has 44 hits, the most an Oilers has is 19 (Podkolzin) second most is Henrique with 9 then McDavid with 8. Oilers averaging 18 hits a game which is in the bottom 5.

Kulak is leading the defence in points.
It’s not just points

In goaltending stats Skinner is 40th with 3.74GA
54th in save% .866
Has 1W in 5 games

Just a pathetic start to the season again

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Any interesting sound bites from the post game interviews? Or was it the usual “we battled hard, got to improve on some areas and we will be better next game”?

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I was defending this team here and there against the haters on different posts on Facebook and what not, but it’s getting hard. Oilers are really not giving us much to defend currently. McDavid scores twice and skinner is finally rock solid and we get zero help from anyone else last night and lose. A haters wet dream that thinks the Oilers only players are McDavid and Drai

Looks like I made the right choice to skip the game, again. I have no interest in oilers hockey until game 15
Was typical oilers. Started well, got a lead, blew it and lost

Only difference was Skinner was fantastic last night. We were atrocious defensively as we usually are.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
7 games into the season, 7 players without a point. Arvidsson and Hyman are 2 of them. That’s unacceptable from them, ESPECIALLY with their line mates.

Draisaitl leads the team in penalty minutes.

Currently the NHL hits leader has 44 hits, the most an Oilers has is 19 (Podkolzin) second most is Henrique with 9 then McDavid with 8. Oilers averaging 18 hits a game which is in the bottom 5.

Kulak is leading the defence in points.

This could be a massive win for us with Bouchard's contract extension coming up. The Kulak-comparable. We'll save like $7m/year

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It was a fun, exciting, high-speed game, which I basically enjoyed. A 2-2 tie against a good club isn't shameful, but the disappointment is blowing a 2-0 lead. (I don't count goals in overtime -- that whole thing is embarrassing trash for the NHL.)

So, I've been seeing some good things from McDavid the past few games. He's been very noticeable, and obviously 2 goals tonight is good news. (Though nobody else could score.) But, here's the thing: When Gretzky got 2 goals early (which was often), he was desperate the rest of the night to get the 3rd. And if he got that, he was desperate to get the 4th. And the 5th. Connor isn't like this. He gets his 2 goals early (both beauties) and seems to have his shot and legs both going. But then he puts his shot away the rest of the net and refuses to shoot.

Anyway, Connor was great and gets 2 goals... which is far more than the rest of the club combined.

When Connor scores twice and Stu Skinner has a great night in net, the Oilers really should be winning. So, blowing the 2-0 lead was very disappointing.

The defensive game of the Oilers looked really poor in much of this game. Way too many grade-A chances given up... another PP goal given up. Even the usually dependable Janmark and Brown had poor nights defensively. I watched the Canes' broadcast, and the color-guy kept saying, "The Oilers' defence is there for the taking." Yep. Bingo.

Club is not looking good, basically. I think what they needed to do in the off-season was sign the key guy (Drai) and also lock-down the younger guys who had gotten playoff experience (McLeod, Broberg... maybe Holloway). It's fine to sign extra skilled wingers (Arvidsson, J. Skinner), but I don't think you want to sacrifice younger players who are just starting to find their NHL games and now have playoff-Finals' experience. I also don't see the point of signing and extending Perry (age 78) and Ryan (age 75). I mean, I like those guys in limited contexts, but I'd rather drop both and keep one of the younger guys who might have 12 more good years in them.

Anyway...

Very weird team.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
While I'm moaning, I'll add one more observation:

Besides Bouchard... does ANY Oiler (esp. forwards) ever try a slap-shot?
-- McDavid = no slap-shots, ever
-- Draisaitl = no slap-shots, ever (except PP one-timers)
-- Hyman = no slap-shots, ever
-- Nuge = No slap-shot ever, in his life to date
-- Arvidsson = I don't know, but I haven't seen one yet
-- J. Skiner = I haven't seen one
-- Henrique = no slap-shots, ever

As for D, I guess Kulak shot in one seeing-eye shot a couple of games ago for a goal. So, there's that. Nurse's slapper is a total muffin (and he never hits the net anyway). Ekholm gets the odd one away for a score, but not this season.

I dunno, I watch the highlights of several other clubs, and tonight I'm seeing a lot of slappers going in. I just never see Oiler forwards firing slap-shots.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Probably because the biggest things to look forward to this season. Brobergs first full season with full confidence and Paul Coffey , Holloway upward trajectory with Draisaitl and Savoie being given some time in the bottom 6.

Only 1 remains... and if we don't can this bum GM, expect Savoie to bite the bullet next in a panic move.
It's hard to look forward to Savoie either because they have absolute junk in the AHL to play alongside him so his numbers are likely to take a dip and his value as a result will also dip.
But you're right, and I'd also add in McLeod who has a goal in 4 straight games which is more than all the Oilers bottom 6 forwards combined I believe. Broberg, Holloway, McLeod. These were all guys in the development stage that were fun to watch grow and now what do we have in that respect?
Podkolzin is as vanilla as a player gets, I was looking forward to seeing Emberson play and follow his development and he's getting healthy scratched pretty regularly for Travis Dermott. What else is there? I was looking forward to maybe seeing a Philp-Lavoie duo and now one of those is gone for some unknown reason and the other is in the AHL. That's it, the rest is older guys outside of Bouchard and Skinner who looks like trash, the rest are pretty much literally ALL older guys.

When you have an old fairly boring roster you at least want wins but when you're 2-4-1 with a horrible goal differential with an old boring roster, it makes it a real chore to watch and follow the team. I'm a diehard so I'll always be loyal to the team and watch when I can but, yeah, I'm kind of bored with this group. Maybe that'll change with winning or as we get deeper into hockey season.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Last nights game was a perfect example of why you need some extra bodies around to replace guys (Janmark) that are playing lazy.

The forwards have no fear about losing playing time because the team is forced to dress everyone. Dress Broberg and go 11/7 :sarcasm:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Janmark wasn't much last season either until the playoffs. Janmark and Ryan are fine as #13 and #14 forwards and passable as 4th liners but not close to being quality 3rd liners.

Janmark has always been great defensively. Its just that he is inept offensively.

Maybe its too early. Maybe hes lost his edge after a 3 year deal. Maybe none of the other forwards not playing defense has rubbed off on him.

I know they want to accrue cap space but I think its the wrong move to run with 12F and 7D. These guys are too comfortable with their place on the roster. Their positions were penciled in before playing a preseason game. Theres no competition for spots. The Oilers don’t use their farm system (which is even more depleted after losing Lavoie to stubborness). Their afraid to play younger players for some reason.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Someone else better take a stab at the GDT for a while. Thats the problem. Plus I am heading to Vegas Friday to watch the Raiders Chiefs game.

Reactions: brentashton

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Stu had a solid night & they piss it away in OT. Still like to believe it's early season blackouts, we'll see.
That's what hurts more

You might see 2 or 3 of these types of games from Skinner all year if we're lucky. They piss it away

None of them look slow to me.
Slow is the new popular buzz word around here. That means they are the smartest team in the league generating so many high dangers every game and tops in that and Corsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad