Team Identity

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
1_Mf4a0uGH4VYgRIlKAYNqXA.png

EDIT 1: I don't think they have any identity at the moment. Feels very much a mish-mash of whatever players they can get

EDIT 2: Here is the team's 2024-2025 goal song

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
it's kind of like after the duck series where they got a bit younger and took a step back the next seasons, just a better version of that that should still make the playoffs

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What is the team identity going into this season?
It’s definitely not toughness.
Personally I don’t think it’s speed.
What do you say?

Good question. Arniel seems to want us to play faster and be more offensive.

The identity I've always envisioned is more of an early to mid 2000's Redwing style puck possesion type game. They weren't the fastest skating team, nor where they the biggest/meanest team, but they had a bunch of highly intelligent players that could posses the puck at will.

We tend to draft more cerebral types so I'd like to see us play an intelligent puck possesion game, based around precision puck movement and using intelligence to jump in and out of space.

But what we likely see is more of the same as the first half of last year with maybe some wrinkles added in the ozone.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Good question. Arniel seems to want us to play faster and be more offensive.

The identity I've always envisioned is more of an early to mid 2000's Redwing style puck possesion type game. They weren't the fastest skating team, nor where they the biggest/meanest team, but they had a bunch of highly intelligent players that could posses the puck at will.

We tend to draft more cerebral types so I'd like to see us play an intelligent puck possesion game, based around precision puck movement and using intelligence to jump in and out of space.

But what we likely see is more of the same as the first half of last year with maybe some wrinkles added in the ozone.
So craft the future around Perfetti... didn't see that coming :)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So craft the future around Perfetti... didn't see that coming :)

Cole isn't the only Cerebral player we've drafted and developed. Most of our core and many of our prospects are Cerebral and excel in a robust 5 man switch type cycle offense. The loan exception would be Ehlers.

I actually came up with it to get the most our of our offensive dmen like JoMo, Ville and to a less extent Pionk. None save JoMo have the ability to walk teams and use their skating to pull teams completely out of shape like a Makar or Hughes. But they are intelligent at reading when to jump/rotate in. Incorporating more 5 man rotations imo allows us to get the most out of our dmen offensively.

Let's now get to our skilled forwards. Scheifele is our best forward and he's neither the fastest, grittiest, or most skilled. But he's a very smart player who is excellent at holding the puck, finding open ice, and finding people in open ice. He does his best work off of extended cycles in which quick switches create those seams for him to exploit.

You bring up Perfetti but he's just another high IQ player that this org likes to draft. He like Mark also excels at exploiting space created off of those 5 man cycles.

While KC and Vilardi aren't as Cerebral with the puck, both are excellent at finding those seams and holes and then finishing in tight. A player like Barlow is cut from the same mold.

I've been arguing to come up with an offensive scheme that plays to the strengths of our skilled players for ages. My wanting a possesion based offense preceeded Cole even being drafted by the team. I have long felt our coaches have dumbed down our offensive schemes when we have the smarts to run more robust systems.

I

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It is a good question but until i see how Arniel is going to run the team i really have no idea. We seem to have a little bit of everything but all of those things have to come together or we are just a average team.

Reactions: Buffdog and ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad