Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Bagel Shreaders draft?

• Dominik Badinka, D, Malmo (SHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Basha, F, Medicine Hat (WHL)

• Sacha Boisvert, C, North Dakota (NCAA)

• Igor Chernyshov, LW, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

• Liam Greentree, RW, Windsor (OHL)

• Cole Hutson, D, Boston University (NCAA)

• Aron Kiviharju, D, HIFK (Liiga)

• Henry Mews, D, Ottawa (OHL)

• Tarik Parascak, RW, Prince George (WHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Went with Luchanko, but as I said in another topic I don't really have a preference at this point. Hage, Jiricek, Freij and Surin are fine by me aswell. Best option would be to trade down if the actual draft goes like this. However, I'm still hoping someone like Sennecke, Yakemchuk, etc. will drop to us at 16.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I went with Luchanko. Hage and Solberg were next for me. Here’s why I chose Luchanko over Hage.

Hage wins in 2 categories - size and pure skill. Those are admittedly two very valuable categories. But Luchanko has the edge everywhere else, the main area IMO being hockey sense. To me, hockey sense is THE separating factor in the NHL. Look at Robert Thomas. What about his puck skills, skating, size etc is elite? None of it. He’s certainly skilled but pretty much NHL average in all of those categories. So why’s he around the 10th best center in the world? Hockey sense.

That’s what Luchanko has. Hage’s is fine. It’s average IMO. But Luchanko thinks the game on another level. He’s also one of the fastest and best technical skaters in the draft, has a motor that won’t quit, plays a good game positionally and basically does every little thing a coach wants a player to do that leads to winning hockey. I enjoyed his game more and more as I continued to watch him.

That’s the eye test. The numbers suggest there’s something there too. He led an offensively starved Guelph team in scoring. He won the CHL/NHL Top Prospects on-ice testing. You know the OHL Coaches Poll where Dvorsky showed up a couple times? Luchanko finished top-3 in 4 categories - 2nd in smartest player, 2nd in hardest worker, 2nd in fastest skater and 3rd in shootout ability. This poll included all players in the OHL. It’s usually the 18 and 19 year olds being the top dogs. This was his 17 year old season. The translatable skills are so obvious IMO. He’s not flashy and on a meh team so I think he’s a bit underrated but I absolutely expect him to pop big time next season. He’s a C and I absolutely expect him to stick at C. Not as sure with Hage. That’s why he’s my vote here.
He would be good choice too. Important thing is we get quality prospects. Everyone reaching for a d here is where I differ. Just bc we have a need doesn’t mean d is right choice. Bpa is smart way to go I think that is hage, but you explain well why it could be luchenko. The argument for one of the d here is less compelling to me bc of risk differential, where similar d are not as smart of choice as f unless d has clearly superior talent. None of the available d reach that standard for me. Ick needs to be a f and I prefer hage.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Came down to Solberg and Jiricek for me, I opted for Jiricek but I’d be fine with either. As others have said, I think it’s tough to make a compelling case for one guy over another in this range and it’ll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Hage would be a fine pick here too.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I haven’t spent as much time this year on prospects as I should have because of various reasons. I don't feel nearly as qualified to answer this poll as in any years past. But based on what I do know and have seen, even using this poll as help, I have to go with Luchanko.

Maybe I'm too optimistic because of what I've seen, but to get Hage would be a damn good player to snag at 16. I'm saying that because it was hard for me to choose between the two. The way both play and the skill they show kills any desire for me to select a defenseman here. I'm not trying to insult those that would select a defenseman here as I do like what I see out of Solberg and Jiricek. Hage and Luchanko both just strike me as talents that could become something special.

At this point, I go with Luchanko simply because the efficiency in his offensive game is something that, I believe, will yield more consistent results. I don't think the weaknesses I've seen in either player are that concerning, frankly. I've never doubted Hage's ability to read the ice, so I think his defensive game will grow to levels good enough for professional play. While Luchanko is not small, I don't think his smaller stature is going to be a problem for the NHL given how he maintains space in all zones. But with only one pick, I have to pick the more cerebral player.

Reactions: Blueston and LGB

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He would be good choice too. Important thing is we get quality prospects. Everyone reaching for a d here is where I differ. Just bc we have a need doesn’t mean d is right choice. Bpa is smart way to go I think that is hage, but you explain well why it could be luchenko. The argument for one of the d here is less compelling to me bc of risk differential, where similar d are not as smart of choice as f unless d has clearly superior talent. None of the available d reach that standard for me. Ick needs to be a f and I prefer hage.
Always agree with BPA but not sure I can definitively say none of the d-men still available aren’t the BPA. I personally didn’t get to see enough of Jiricek to feel comfortable picking him (let alone we don’t know how the knee injury/surgery might impact his game) and I haven’t seen as much of Solberg as some of the others so there’s less of a comfort level there too…but, I trust that the Blues scouts have been able to see these players enough to properly evaluate them. If they pick one of the d-men, I wouldn’t immediately question it. This scouting dept has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Always agree with BPA but not sure I can definitively say none of the d-men still available aren’t the BPA. I personally didn’t get to see enough of Jiricek to feel comfortable picking him (let alone we don’t know how the knee injury/surgery might impact his game) and I haven’t seen as much of Solberg as some of the others so there’s less of a comfort level there too…but, I trust that the Blues scouts have been able to see these players enough to properly evaluate them. If they pick one of the d-men, I wouldn’t immediately question it. This scouting dept has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.
I agree with this. I am not there that a d is bpa for reasons I described, but I do have confidence that team will have information we don’t and they might come to conclusion that a d is less risky based on that. I am good with that. But based on what I know now, I’m confident bpa is f at this point in this exercise.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Imo we go BPA and imo, that's Jiricek. Guys gonna be a really nice reliable defenceman for a long time. I like solberg alot too but I think we can utilize our 2nds to get him or use our 3rd in a trade up scenario to nab him at the end of the 1st or early 2nd.

Would be dissapointed if we went with Hage despite how much I like his tangible skill level.

Would be thrilled if we came out of rd 1 and 2 with solberg and jiricek

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Imo we go BPA and imo, that's Jiricek. Guys gonna be a really nice reliable defenceman for a long time. I like solberg alot too but I think we can utilize our 2nds to get him or use our 3rd in a trade up scenario to nab him at the end of the 1st or early 2nd.

Would be dissapointed if we went with Hage despite how much I like his tangible skill level.

Some drafts have Solberg going high even before Jiricek. It would be very difficult to get both. Although I voted for Hage I would be happy with Jiricek too.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Some drafts have Solberg going high even before Jiricek. It would be very difficult to get both. Although I voted for Hage I would be happy with Jiricek too.
Yeah I've seen a few of those. This year seems more "all over the place" then normal to me. Could see them both in the 1st, could see solberg dropping. Also interesting where teams will value emery, the swedish kids, and the other late 1st/2nd rd projected D.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

At this point, I’d say it’s more likely Solberg is gone before we pick than he lasts to the 2nd round.

Agree with your latest post that this draft is all over the place but Solberg seems to be rising late like Willander did a year ago.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
At this point, I’d say it’s more likely Solberg is gone before we pick than he lasts to the 2nd round.

Agree with your latest post that this draft is all over the place but Solberg seems to be rising late like Willander did a year ago.
Yeah, I'm not sure when Solberg goes, but I think it's safe he doesn't make it past 20ish, and good chance San Jose drafts him at 14.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Interesting reading about Jett Luchanko in this thread…I honestly don’t know a lot about him, got some homework to do!

Reactions: STL fan in MN

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I don't see as great a ceiling with Luchanko, but a very good floor. I do fear that he is too Bluesy a pick for the team to pass him up. Not that I wouldn't like to have him, but I think there's better talents. But he's much better than Greentree who is also a Bluesy pick.

Reactions: Blueston

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I went with Luchanko. Hage and Solberg were next for me. Here’s why I chose Luchanko over Hage.

Hage wins in 2 categories - size and pure skill. Those are admittedly two very valuable categories. But Luchanko has the edge everywhere else, the main area IMO being hockey sense. To me, hockey sense is THE separating factor in the NHL. Look at Robert Thomas. What about his puck skills, skating, size etc is elite? None of it. He’s certainly skilled but pretty much NHL average in all of those categories. So why’s he around the 10th best center in the world? Hockey sense.

That’s what Luchanko has. Hage’s is fine. It’s average IMO. But Luchanko thinks the game on another level. He’s also one of the fastest and best technical skaters in the draft, has a motor that won’t quit, plays a good game positionally and basically does every little thing a coach wants a player to do that leads to winning hockey. I enjoyed his game more and more as I continued to watch him.

That’s the eye test. The numbers suggest there’s something there too. He led an offensively starved Guelph team in scoring. He won the CHL/NHL Top Prospects on-ice testing. You know the OHL Coaches Poll where Dvorsky showed up a couple times? Luchanko finished top-3 in 4 categories - 2nd in smartest player, 2nd in hardest worker, 2nd in fastest skater and 3rd in shootout ability. This poll included all players in the OHL. It’s usually the 18 and 19 year olds being the top dogs. This was his 17 year old season. The translatable skills are so obvious IMO. He’s not flashy and on a meh team so I think he’s a bit underrated but I absolutely expect him to pop big time next season. He’s a C and I absolutely expect him to stick at C. Not as sure with Hage. That’s why he’s my vote here.
I went with Freij as he gives me Thomas Harley vibes, but you just sold me on Luchanko

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I get Schwartz type vibes. I think some view his production upside differently though.
Is this meant as a compliment to Luchanko or a bit of a dis? We’d be lucky to get a player as good as Schwartz at pick 16. Especially one that’s a little bigger and plays the premium position of C. Schwartz was a legit 1st line caliber winger in his prime. 11th in his draft class in points, 17th in games played.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is this meant as a compliment to Luchanko or a bit of a dis? We’d be lucky to get a player as good as Schwartz at pick 16. Especially one that’s a little bigger and plays the premium position of C. Schwartz was a legit 1st line caliber winger in his prime. 11th in his draft class in points, 17th in games played.
Compliment, I love Schwartz, and those types of players. High-end hockey sense, high-end motor, high-end skater, and goes into the tough areas to battle. More of a playermaker, and depending on who you read, the offensive upside may vary. I'm not quite saying his offensive is Schwartz level upside, but that's always a tough part to judge. Thomas exceeded his draft day production expectations, but it also wasn't surprising, I sort of view Luchanko like that, wouldn't be surprised if he's a 40-50 point winger, or someone that has a career like Schwartz.

And I like the fact that he could stay at center, but also has a profile that fits on the wing too, with a style that could in theory fit any line.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Compliment, I love Schwartz, and those types of players. High-end hockey sense, high-end motor, high-end skater, and goes into the tough areas to battle. More of a playermaker, and depending on who you read, the offensive upside may vary. I'm not quite saying his offensive is Schwartz level upside, but that's always a tough part to judge. Thomas exceeded his draft day production expectations, but it also wasn't surprising, I sort of view Luchanko like that, wouldn't be surprised if he's a 40-50 point winger, or someone that has a career like Schwartz.

And I like the fact that he could stay at center, but also has a profile that fits on the wing too, with a style that could in theory fit any line.
Agree. I think these things give Luchanko a relatively safe floor. But that doesn’t necessarily limit his ceiling either though.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agree. I think these things give Luchanko a relatively safe floor. But that doesn’t necessarily limit his ceiling either though.
Yes. That is what makes guys like him so Bluesy. High floor, multiple ways prospect can evolve into impactful player. You are maybe higher on him than I am, but guy like Luchanko or MBN is who we are likely to pick at 16, not take wild swing at d like Freij. This is who we are as a franchise , and it’s a path that has worked. That is how we will continue. People will complain that we didn’t pick higher ceiling guy, as they do every year, but overall we draft quite well this way.

Reactions: WeWentBlues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'll always push back on what it means to be a Bluesy pick. Bluesy pick doesn't mean high floor and low ceiling, but more of a certain profile of a personality with particular traits that can be easily projected to the NHL. You don't see them taking guys that are high floor in the sense that there are decent enough in all areas, but don't really stick out in any area. Snuggerud always had a high end shot, and while his complete game was probably a bit overrated at the time when he was viewed as more of the underrated worker type on the USNDT, I think he was selected because of his pro type personality and the upside in his shot, even though it wasn't obvious because of the other players around him. Bolduc was similar to Snuggerud. Bokk was a pure upside pick based on his puck skills, Thompson for his shot. Thomas was someone we really liked on this board in the lead up to the draft, and his upside was underrated, I kind of remember player comps to guys like Stepan at the time. Thomas' profile very much read like a Bluesy pick though.

Neighbours is probably the only one that was more of a high floor, lower ceiling type pick of the recent 1sts. Early on though, that's looking like the best pick of the guys selected after him. Faber went 19 picks later, so tough to really judge that one.

Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but I feel like there at least used to be an undeserved reputation that a Bluesy pick is a low-risk, blue-collar guy that has limited upside, and that's why we struggle to get higher end offensive players. Even going all the way back to Oshie, and multiple different GMs and scouting groups, that's never really been the case.

I do think we avoid taking guys that are higher on the risk skill. I didn't see us taking Benson or Cristall last season. Or I don't think we were going to take DeBrincat because of his size, I remember posters at the time being upset that we didn't take him. And I think we'll have a do not draft list for guys that don't fit a personality that we prefer.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yes. That is what makes guys like him so Bluesy. High floor, multiple ways prospect can evolve into impactful player. You are maybe higher on him than I am, but guy like Luchanko or MBN is who we are likely to pick at 16, not take wild swing at d like Freij. This is who we are as a franchise , and it’s a path that has worked. That is how we will continue. People will complain that we didn’t pick higher ceiling guy, as they do every year, but overall we draft quite well this way.

Has it worked? We have the 8th worst playoff win percentage among active franchises. We've been good regular season team often, but have had relatively few deep playoff runs. A lot of that might be settling for safe mediocrity in our drafting

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Has it worked? We have the 8th worst playoff win percentage among active franchises. We've been good regular season team often, but have had relatively few deep playoff runs. A lot of that might be settling for safe mediocrity in our drafting
I think so, I think the playoff winning percentage probably has more to do with the matchups we have had over the last 10 years or so, we were routinely matched up against power houses like Chicago, LA and then Colorado more recently, I think that has a lot more to do with why we were not making deep runs. And we got a cup out of it, which only a small handful of teams can say. I am not sure how far back that stat is going, but it really only makes sense to look at the timeframe when Army and Co took over the reigns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad