Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Devils pick?

• Sacha Boisvert, C, North Dakota (NCAA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Igor Chernyshov, LW, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

• Trevor Connelly, LW, Providence (NCAA)

• Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Michael Hage, C, Michigan (NCAA)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd disagree about Sennecke. I think he's one of the toolsiest players in this draft class and he plays a much more impactful game than Hage or Eiserman. There's not a tool he doesn't have or at least flash offensively and considering his recent growth spurt and the improvements he's made to his game as the year has gone on I think it's fair to say he's on a clear upward trajectory with his development. I would not at all be surprised if Sennecke is a player we'll look back in a few years and wonder why he wasn't a top 5 pick.
I'm not going to debate any more about Sennecke, I've said what I have to say. He's a very good, toolsy player with a boatload of IFs and he's be a great consideration in the 15-20 range, but at #10 there is pretty much zero chance he will have the highest floor or ceiling.

But I'm replying on the basis of Hage, whom I feel is severely underrated. Did his season have an awful start? Yes, no doubt. But he was a 17 year old getting over a major injury and the tragic death of his father over the prior summer. Over the last 20 games of his USHL season he averaged 2 points per game. That's utterly ridiculous. This is why stats need to be taken in context. It's the very definition of why stats need to be taken in context.

Hage is the same size as Sennecke, he plays center, he's a far superior skater, he's got a higher compete level, and he matches Sennecke in hockey IQ and every offensive tool which Sennecke is being lauded for. To me, Hage is pretty easily superior to Sennecke.

I'm not trying to put down Sennecke, he's clearly a 1st round-worthy pick. But top 10? I just don't see it. If you're going to "jump the rankings" outside a safer Helenius or Nygard at #10, to me Hage is the better call. And while we are at it, so is Chernyshov.

What I don't get about Sennecke is that people are talking about him like he is scratching the surface of elite talent. He's not. His passing vision, offensive IQ and puck-skills are elite, but his skating, shooting, compete level and 200-foot game all need work in order for him to even approach his ceiling. I'm willing to take the risk on a player like this, but not in the top 10. I think that's fair.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm not going to debate any more about Sennecke, I've said what I have to say. He's a very good, toolsy player with a boatload of IFs and he's be a great consideration in the 15-20 range, but at #10 there is pretty much zero chance he will have the highest floor or ceiling.

But I'm replying on the basis of Hage, whom I feel is severely underrated. Did his season have an awful start? Yes, no doubt. But he was a 17 year old getting over a major injury and the tragic death of his father over the prior summer. Over the last 20 games of his USHL season he averaged 2 points per game. That's utterly ridiculous. This is why stats need to be taken in context. It's the very definition of why stats need to be taken in context.

Hage is the same size as Sennecke, he plays center, he's a far superior skater, he's got a higher compete level, and he matches Sennecke in hockey IQ and every offensive tool which Sennecke is being lauded for. To me, Hage is pretty easily superior to Sennecke.

I'm not trying to put down Sennecke, he's clearly a 1st round-worthy pick. But top 10? I just don't see it. If you're going to "jump the rankings" outside a safer Helenius or Nygard at #10, to me Hage is the better call. And while we are at it, so is Chernyshov.

What I don't get about Sennecke is that people are talking about him like he is scratching the surface of elite talent. He's not. His passing vision, offensive IQ and puck-skills are elite, but his skating, shooting, compete level and 200-foot game all need work in order for him to even approach his ceiling. I'm willing to take the risk on a player like this, but not in the top 10. I think that's fair.
Hage could be your Jarvis this year. Nygard could be my Slafkovsky this year. Chernyshov could be my Yurov. Solberg could be your Faber. Draft is fun.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Hage could be your Jarvis this year. Nygard could be my Slafkovsky this year. Chernyshov could be my Yurov. Solberg could be your Faber. Draft is fun.
And where is your Perevalov this year? :naughty:

(I"m still bitter because I picked him in our Keeper fantasy league because of your arguments that he should be a first round pick or something like that. :laugh:)

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I would not at all be surprised if Sennecke is a player we'll look back in a few years and wonder why he wasn't a top 5 pick.

Who's the last prospect that had all the tools but just needed to put it together (and then became a star)? Can't really think of anyone. Most prospects I think of who fell, were due to skating concerns or size concerns (Robertson / Point). Although in the case of the 2 players I mentioned, maybe it wasn't so much fell, but more why they weren't ranked higher. Too lazy to go back and look at their draft position vs ranking.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
And where is your Perevalov this year? :naughty:

(I"m still bitter because I picked him in our Keeper fantasy league because of your arguments that he should be a first round pick or something like that. :laugh:)
Yeah, Perevalov is my big huge miss. I still justify it with his injuries.

So... who is big physical player in junior league who is outplaying smaller players?... hm...

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Who's the last prospect that had all the tools but just needed to put it together (and then became a star)? Can't really think of anyone. Most prospects I think of who fell, were due to skating concerns or size concerns (Robertson / Point). Although in the case of the 2 players I mentioned, maybe it wasn't so much fell, but more why they weren't ranked higher. Too lazy to go back and look at their draft position vs ranking.
The problem with pulling for a toolsy prospect who lacked outside adversity to "pull it all together", by definition, those prospects' problem areas tend to be compete level and hockey IQ and character concerns.

A great area of the compete level would be Brad Lambert or Alex Nylander. A great example of the hockey IQ would be Noel Gunler or Bode Wilde. A great example of the character concerns would be Logan Mailloux or Tony DeAngelo.

The best example from this draft would have to be Trevor Connolly, who is a top 7 pick in terms of talent but in terms of character? Yikes. He's going to be on a lot of no-draft lists. You can bet the Devils will not even be considering him at #10 overall.

Of course we also have to discuss Cole Eiserman in this regard. In my opinion, Eiserman has the 3rd best shot to come out of the draft this decade after only Bedard and Matthews. But because of his questionable habits all over the ice and off the puck, you're taking a big risk that he'll make a ton of improvements all across the board when you're drafting him, which is very scary with a first round pick.

I'd say the next best example would be Parekh -- who has the potential to be a top 5 offensive defenseman in the NHL but is just so lazy and apathetic defensively that it almost bleeds the line between "compete level" and "character concern".

People are talking about Sennecke as an example of this but I don't see it because his raw talent and upside isn't even in the same league as a Connolly or Eiserman or Parekh, but to me his concerns aren't so bad either. I think he's a good pick in the 15-20 range without any crazy risk but also without the crazy potential reward of some of the the other players I've mentioned.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The draft certainly is fun.

But I still need to convert you to Michael Hage. Overcoming more adversity than any 1st round prospect for the 2024, Hage put together video game numbers over the home stretch for the Chicago Steel (about 2 points per game over the last 20 or so games) and features a high-end arsenal of tools -- skating, puck-handling, vision, scoring, you name it.

I'm sticking with Helenius or Nygard as my forward preference for the Devils at #10, but I also have to consider Hage and Chernyshov.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The draft certainly is fun.

But I still need to convert you to Michael Hage. Overcoming more adversity than any 1st round prospect for the 2024, Hage put together video game numbers over the home stretch for the Chicago Steel (about 2 points per game over the last 20 or so games) and features a high-end arsenal of tools -- skating, puck-handling, vision, scoring, you name it.

I'm sticking with Helenius or Nygard as my forward preference for the Devils at #10, but I also have to consider Hage and Chernyshov.

Man, I saw many of his games now. After you told about him in the first time I started to watch him more closely. I said about Jarvis not just by accident. I dont see first line level driving potential, but I think he should be NHLer who will be liked by fans. He reminds me Mercer or Jarvis but with potential to be NHL center.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Who is going to be my Lovejoy?

Whoever you want!
IMG_3971.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad