Team Board Mock Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who will the Hawks take?

• Oliver Bonk, D, London Knights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ethan Gauthier, RW, Sherbrooke Phoenix

• Kasper Halttunen (RW) HIFK

• Michael Hrabal, G, Omaha Lancers

• Theo Lindstein, D, Brynäs IF

• Charlie Stramel, F, Univ. of Wisconsin

• Otto Stenberg, C/W, Frölunda HC J20

• Koehn Ziemmer,RW, Prince George Cougars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
perreault is a Below AVG skater when you factor in size. that would seem to go against what KD looks for. Sale is inconsistent on his effort so that would be a the 2nd most important factor. danileson, But, Honzek, yager Benson, Edstrom. Morre, Barlow

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I have to say, I didn't see that one coming. I feel like that was a vote from non-hawks fans. I haven't heard of anyone mention Perrault in the Hawks forums. I have heard of the other 4 Cristall, But, Sale, and Honzek though.

Reactions: Muffinalt

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I know some people dont like Corey from the athletic but his new Mock does seem to take into account who he has talked to in the league and team needs more then just his opinion. he has 4 D going top 16 so that would be solid for the hawks: 17-25, benson, barlow, moore, yager,ritchie, sale stromel, edstrom. Musty. if that is how it plays out I would be happy we have a pick of a few forwards.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
At #19 my targets woud be Edstrom/Honzrk/Stenberg..

While Honzek is a left shot who is listed as C/LW ..but I think he projects best as a RW playing his off side..

Edstrom is a true Center ...

Stenberg can pkay Center or LW (he played LW at u18s where Edstrom was his center).

Not sure if all3 are still on the board at#19...Maybe Honzek or Stenberg goes off the board few spots before #19...I doubt all 3 are off the board by#19.. so barring some move up I think we can land 1 of these 3 at#19 and maybe 2 of them if we can move up to early 20s (using 2 of our 4 2nd rounders )..I have suggested maybe Minn woukd take #35 and#45 for #21 ...Thatcwoukd give them 4 seconds but our 2 seconds are much earlier thn the 2nds rounders they own...plus tgey do not own 3rd and 4th roubd picks..so they might go for such a deal?

Some of the other options listed above I woukd not pickand reason I would not is listed below:

Riley Heidt...lacks big size.for Center..like how he creates chances but for me too often fails to finish grade A chances..

Daniel But...has big size for the Wing..But (pardon the pun) he is a Russian and the Hawks are not a Russian shop..Also sjatibg is an issue he must improve on. So cannot see KD taking him...plusxasxA Russian there are always issues with how long will they stay in Russia before coming over. And still Putin's Ukraine war which could drag on beyond 3 years or whenever itvis expected But might cone over...Putin passed a new law that allows Russia to withhold passports of conscripts to tgeir Armed forces whije serving in this wR...If tgey conscripted a But or a Michkov then pass ports withheld till Ukraine War is over and Peacce Deal signed...who knows how long till that happens? Not saying But or Michkov or any Russian eligible for this NHL Draft will be conscripted ...but if Russian soldiers keep dying then it may be desperate Putin puts on mandatory conscription for young men to serve in this war .
So just too much risk and uncertainty now for me to pick any Russians this draft

Strammel=big but slow and not enough skill..Do not like him atcall

Perrault...after u18s more likely picked early teens than as late S #19...Very skilled with high hockey I.Q. ...but below average skatingvspee...which hurts him defensively to get back on the back'check
..so this is an issue unless a team is convinced his offensive skill can help outscore his defensive lack of speed concerns..
Benson goes top ten ...so no way he lasts till #19...love how he creates scoring chances...but no way he lasts to#19...Hawks would need to trade up ...If
However even if Haejs traded up to land Benson ...his size vs. NHL Pros is a concern..
He is a LW not a Center...Hawks need more size and net front guys...Hawks already will have Bedard and Nazar to create...
There isvonlyv1 puck and you cannot have a team of too many smaller fast andd skilled guys...none of which are with defensive impact and all who want to puck to flash and put up their own scoring.. I just think Hawks need some different types..
Calum Ritchie ...bug enough 2 way Center but to me is inconsistentvas to impacting games ..I still woukd take Edstrom as the best Big C 2 way.. 3zone solution...or Honzek for his potential =size +skill and some decent 2 way game but his flaw is that he does not shoot a lot from high danger areas nor pass to the crease much...whije he can beat dmen with rushes with speed and agility for a big guy and has a hard shot,tgere might beca concern that once recovering pucks in board battles he does not take it to the net but either psses back to the point ,or he carries it around tge o-zobe to get free and fire a longer range shot himself.. So notcsure he usxa classic power forward ...ratherxa Big forward with skill and agility...but maybe this is still worth drafting as to what he does well...

Edstrom on the other hand has high hockey I.Q.,great sense of always being in the right spot to both aide in offensive scoring and on position tonintercept passes or defend and close and check with his long reach..
He is not goibg to dazzle lugging the puck himself to create scoring...but he excels over short distances and in tight checking where he eitgerctakes pucks to the net or does give and goes through traffic ..His scoring is not from long or medium distance but mostly around the net in close.. He is Suoerb...absolutely the best in this draft at netfront presence and screening goalies..This is trouble for dmen to try to move hom or defend him in close and it occupies them making it much easier how his wingers to move around in greater space.
He is just solid in all 3 zone of the ice ...you can use hom on the pk or at the netfront on tge Pp.
He is nit fancy...but so good in the mature game and small details us his knack for beibg in the right positions for offensive or defensive supoort.His game already looks more pro than junior level.
To me he is a combination of Barkov (good in all 3 zones) ,Pavelski with scoring in close and defelection goals/goid hand-eye...and Thomas Holmstrom(Netfront goalie screener par excellence)..SO I think he adds so many elements Hawks need...we cannot have a team of all flashy smaller I want the puck to dazzle skill Forwards..
Hawks need a mix of styles and size for balancing out the lines and the team.
EDSTROM is not going to drive play himself ..but he may be tge best support forward in the draft...doing the heavy lifting helping thise on shift with him to shine the best they can be.To me there ids great value in this type of player added to our mix for the future contender team the Hawks will becone again in a few years down the line.

Finally...my 3rd target after Edstrom and Honzek is Otto Stenberg ...at his best (like at u18s for Sweden) he looks like a too ten talent.. Hard to ignore such an impact potential...but in his domestic leagues back in Sweden (J-20 and SHL stints) he wss not proficient scoring ..and so you wonder what happened with that? A sort of Jekyll and Hyde in impact performances..Which is the real Stenberg.
If you think the u18 version you saw play terrific hockey is his real ceiling in talent maybe you cannot pass that instead of taking the safer know what you get consistent performer with Edstrom?

It may come down to Stenberg has to be a featured star winger on yourctop line and scoring on the PP with Bedard as his Center and trying to wed their speed and skill on a line then trying to find a Big Winger to provide support and heavy lifting for them OR using Honzek instead as the bigger wing option for Bedard to play with...OR using edstrom as the Big 1C and ljaying Bedard at RW ....OR using Edstrom as 2C and Bedard at 1C but having both on the PP (Edstrom creating even more space for Bedard by screening the oppositionalie).
Not sure what KD is thinking on this...but I think as value at #19,I woukdvhave Edstrom,Honzek and Stenberg as my top 3 targets for picking at that spot.
At least 1 of them is there,probably 2vof them,maybe even all 3 ...
If all 3 are gone before#19,I would be surprised...but it would show that NHL GMs picking before#19 were thinking my very thoughts o the potential value proposition these 3 different prospects have that could help their team get better in a few years.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Perreault talent is undeniable. His style doesnt seem to be what KD wants but he would absolutely put up numbers on Bedards right side.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Who dies KD want at #19 ?

Since he puts a priority on Skating tgat wiukd leave out Oerraukt who is nit a hiid sjater..But Oerraukt still probably goes earlier than#19 so we do not need to consider him anyway at this spot..

Who would KD most kije? NATE DANIELSON ...one if the premium skaters at this draft ..But I do not see him lasting to #19 ...so unless Hawks move up/not gonna get hom.

Otto Stenberg=checks the box of skating and skilk and compete (when he brings his A game)...Scoribg fron thecwing(when he beings his A game)...but concerns over why he did not show much in his Swedish domestic leagues (J20 and SHL stint) ...but tge relent on display at u18s and other international tournaments for Sweden was top ten draft worthy...So who is tge real Otto Stenberg?can he be consistently inoactful over the long season?
IHexwss captain if Sweden u18s so there is leadership quality too...when he wants to take charge.

Samuel Honzek...Big Size...listed as a Center but probably pkays on the wing at NHL level...Sjatibg needs more work. Especialky His first step...but surprising agility and edges forca big man...Has longer range shot and one -tiner...Defensiveky ok but not excellent level ...Does nit do much in neutral zone...A bit inconsistent in that sonetines he puck watches...Best quality is his puck possession/puck protection...ability to control the puck for long time as hevoritectsvitcso wekk with his big body...Goiod on the biards in battles to get puck...1 big flaw with hisxsizeos tgat hevis more skill ratger than physical .. He could use his size better to hit and be physical on checks...Once he gets going he can do powrrxrushescpast defenders...His oasdibgbis ok but not excellent...esoecialky notva lotvof slot passes as he prefers to dig oucksvoff tge boards and send passes back tobtgebloubts...but that may be more system driven than a flaw in his lack of skit passing.He is thus a mixed bag but a big guy with skill and scoring abiity has potential to be a force if he can can just improve his skating and his consistency.
I do not think he merits an A in any category.. but a lot of B+,B, and B- with room to improve on consistency and defensive awareness aspects and on getting faster by working on his skating with more explosiveness..intriguibgboitential.

Davis Edstrom...another Big guy at 6'3 187 who will only get strongerxas hexaddsxto his frame...
Defensively =Excellent in all 3zones ...awareness...positioning...intercepts passes...back checks.closes off...
Offensively = great around the area and in smaller spaces with tight checking on him...Excellet net front presence.. Best screener of goalies inthe draft.Hard to move off the crease front.
Can do quick give and goesvib tight spaces.. Always in goidvpisition for support to hisxwibgers.. Goid hand-eye and hands for tips and defekection gialsxandcgolsvin tight to the net.

Hos flaws=average skater...not dazzling...not hoibf to go end-to-end or streak by dnen on rushes...Not going to drive the play but acts to support the play drivers.. So you geta solid reliable but still imoactful player despite nit having a great shot fron distance or not having pull away speed..
Versatile as you can use him on the pk and on the PO (as net front presence where he excels )..
His scoring willcome mainly in close to the net.
So a completely different style that compliments puck carrying abd goidxshoitung wingers...thus he can be useful and imoactful despite things he dies not bring in tge toolkit....because what he does bring is so good and reliable consistent.

If KD sticks yo his mantra tgat skatibg is paramount the Stenberg woukd be ranked higher than Honzek or Edstrom.

If size matters then the big guys woukd priced Stenberg in ranking..

If Honzek can improve his skating speed then you get excited at what he could becone.As is he looks like safe 2nd line winger with a ceiling of a1st line winger star player if he develops to his max.

Edstrom's game is already very nature..Not going to develop much more in skills.. Versatile...Pk and Pp effectiveness...a plug and play 3 zone consistent player you coukd use as a support C doing tge heavy lifting for his wingers as a Big C on any of the top 3 lines..

If Bedard stays as 1C then Edstrom could make line 2 very goodin a 2C roke if a top scoring wing or 2 scoring wings are on it

Or you could use him as a shutdown 3C if you wanted that line to check the #1line of the opposition

If they move Bedard to RW then Edstrkm is perfect to be his support 2C and provide defensive help to the line .

Edstrom's game is already advanced...ug and play.

So I do not know which of these 3 KD would take off the board if all 3 were still there at #19..
To me tgey arexall better options than Calum Ritchie who neither dazzles me notes consistent enough in my books.. I am not sold that he can improve to a higher impact in games.

I see imoact from Stenberg bringing g his A game ...but can he do it consistently?

I see impact from Honzek whose game I think can be developed to a higher level .
Big guy with skill is hard to ignore.

I see value,versatility,mature reliable and consistent play from Edstrim...And what hecdoes well only gets better as he adds more weight to his frame..
But not sure how KD views roster construction... construction..

Maybe he just goes BPA for speed and skill ..or maybe he is thinking he better balance out the smaller skill guys like Brdard and Nazar with a few more big bodies and/or 2 way guys who can support defensively and help offensively in some areas Hawks not good at now(like a net front impact guy)?

So not sure what type of player KD targets at #19..

But if we land any of the 3 targets I have identified above I woukd not complain...

And I think Hawks may be able to trade back into the 20s ...using #35 +either #44,or#51 and 4th roubder ..so if KD can pull that off we might get one of tge 2 bigs (Edstrom or Honzek and stoll get Stenbetg also).

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad