Speculation: TDL - Is it time for Dubas to mortgage the future to bolster The Leafs?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Rakell-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Thornton-Simmonds
Engvall

Reactions: zeke

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
With us already using LTIR I wonder about a retained Namestnikov+ Zetterberg for a pick. He's not having a great start to the year but is versatile, scrappy, and skilled enough that if the chemistry is there he could be a 3rd wheel in our top 6

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think the Leafs, like most organizations, are always on the search for upgrades. As long as the team keeps winning, there isn't any pressure. It would be more likely a luxury move to add depth than to replace a current roster regular.

I would have made a bigger move last years offseason before the pandemic hit, but that's just me. The pickups were available for this season only due to the pandemic, there is no foreseeable scenario in which we would attain so many veteran players on short term deals if not for this global scourge. Dubas was smart to recognize the nature of the season.

The Dell waiver aside, we are deep in all other positions and able to ice an NHL calibre team on any given night. So, much of the work has already been completed.

My personal belief is that if someone steps in and performs well and the team continues to win, they should receive opportunities in the lineup. It's only fair to reward success. Of course, once the season continues, if there are teams which are clearly out of it and they want to move a major piece and it can greatly benefit the Leafs, they have to listen. I suppose time will tell as the season shapes up.

Reactions: Jeypic

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Trading a late 1st round pick isn't mortgaging any future.

We have a very nice pipeline of youth coming up. Lots of ways to use that.

Might be smart to do something like a 1st + Dermott for a good winger on an affordable contract.

I agree in principle, although I don't want trading first rounders to become habitual either.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not a fan of mortgaging the future unless it's for a core piece - like a winger upgrade in the top 6 or even a better defender.

Still the Leafs only have 5 picks in the upcoming draft. While the prospect pool is deep, it's good to keep the cheap talent coming in given the cap situation.

Reactions: Bust

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Look no further than Tampa and STL who made bold trades to make their teams world beaters. Tampa gave an arm and a leg for McDonough, and good young assets for Goodrow/Coleman.

I know Dubas doesn't have a lot of cap space to improve the team, but average to mediocre players like Kerfoot/Engvall/Dermott can all be moved for better fitting players. More futures and draft picks can be offered for retention of salary too.

Does Dubas try it this TDL? Can we improve the defense even more? Do you want more forwards?

Depends where they are at and who is out of it. Plus who is healthy and who is hot on the Leafs. It would make some sense for the right guy because this is hardly a bulletproof lineup. In terms of an add it would probably need to be someone on an expiring deal because of the X draft and they have no money coming off. Maybe Kerfoot ++ to move some salary out and get someone better for the top 9 but he has to be producing or there will be no bites and if he is producing why would you deal him?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm not to well versed on how the salary would work to make it happen but by the deadline the most clear and obvious needs are upgrades in the form of a two-way winger physical winger, think Coleman or prime Leo Komorav type. And for defence while Bogosian isn't useless an upgrade on him would be just perfect. Another Justin Holl type defender with size and grit. (yeah not many of those right).

This would get Simmonds and Bogosian who are our worst 5 on 5 players off the ice more. I don't mind Simmonds in a 4th line RW spot but his time should be very limited 5 on 5 especially in the playoffs. Use him as an occasional 5 on 5 scrappy fighter and net front guy on the P.P. In the playoffs play this guy 5 minutes a night, max.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-physical winger
Anderson-Engvall-Simmonds

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl (shut down pair)
Dermott- Upgrade Defensive D

Campbell
Andersen

I think this type of team could win a cup

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Freddy is a core piece and big contributor. Bozak and JVR were ahead of Martin at ES.

Most of the other pieces you mention are league minimum fillers who won't net a return. Hyman is the exception and he, like Freddy, is a big contributor. Not sure where you are struggling here?

You said we have let to many guys walk for nothing so I'm asking do you think they should move the players I mentioned off what is currently a 1st place team, not just in the North but the entire NHL

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So you are saying we should be looking at TBL as a comparison? Cool.

Palat Point Kucherov
Killorn Cirelli Johnson
Coleman Gourde Goodrow
Maroon Paquette Verhaeghe

Is this correct?

Mikheyev Matthews Marner (1st line comp)
Hyman Tavares Nylander (2nd line comp)
Vesey Kerfoot _________ (3rd line comp?)
Engvall Boyd Simmonds (4th line comp)

Out of the guys we have, do we have comparables? I think so. If not, what do we need exactly to be a comparable? Do we have this player in our system currently?

Remaining:
Robertson Thornton Spezza Anderson Barabanov Brooks

I think this team could use a LW, I'd be calling the ducks to see if Rakell is available, or maybe Pittsburgh about Bryan Rust, although I doubt Pittsburgh moves Bryan Rust.

But if you could add Rakell you'd have

Rakell Matthews Marner

Hyman Tavares Nylander

Mikyehev Kerfoot Vesey

Engvall Boyd/Spezza Simmonds

That looks like a complete forward group.

I think they could use 1 more piece on defense too

Reactions: Tmart335

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think this team could use a LW, I'd be calling the ducks to see if Rakell is available, or maybe Pittsburgh about Bryan Rust, although I doubt Pittsburgh moves Bryan Rust.
It's been a while since I've watched either play, but aren't both RW? I didn't think either played their offside.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
its hard to mortgage a future when you have NO CAPSPACE ... we dont even have a roster player that would be tradeable to increase capspace ...
who would be a possible upgrade and making less than 900k ?

you would be basically trading for depth or a player on an ELC.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m not opposed to making a big move to acquire a winger, but we have to keep in mind that that would force us to protect 7 forwards, 3 defenceman and 1 goalie leaving Holl unprotected as well. Wouldn’t be a major loss and personally I could still see Seattle taking Dermott.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dubas doesn't like rentals. If he adds someone it will be someone with term and my guess is that it will be someone who is able to play center (as they may lose Kerfoot in expansion). I think of someone like coleman last year.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I’m not opposed to making a big move to acquire a winger, but we have to keep in mind that that would force us to protect 7 forwards, 3 defenceman and 1 goalie leaving Holl unprotected as well. Wouldn’t be a major loss and personally I could still see Seattle taking Dermott.
I am pretty sure we are protecting:

Tavares Matthews Marner Nylander Rielly Muzzin Brodie Holl and Campbell

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
I agree in principle, although I don't want trading first rounders to become habitual either.
Agree this Franchise has dealt many 1st round and high prospects over the last 50 yrs for old worn out fogies always out of their prime, hence the drought and myriads of mistakes. This yrs. 1st round I would have let go with a package for 1 player but he is already taken and that is a Josh Anderson who would fit this team better than anyone for a bonafide stud power forward who has speed, goal scoring, Big brutal beast that will run over peeps, oh and can fight. Unless the criteria is for a player with a caliber like this, I hold on to my 1st and figure something else to move.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You could improve the team substantially without going all in per say. You can get a good top 6 heavy forward without giving up your big prospects. It will likely take your 1st though and maybe depth from your roster.
I wouldn't go all in but if Dubas gets an opportunity to add a mid level piece, I'm sure he will consider it. They shouldn't cost too much.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You said we have let to many guys walk for nothing so I'm asking do you think they should move the players I mentioned off what is currently a 1st place team, not just in the North but the entire NHL
You already got your response (it's literally right there in what you quoted). What is it you are looking for?

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How do you gain talent at the level that will be a difference maker when your team is at the cap? Difference makers tend to be paid well. How do you fit them under the cap when we are pretty much spending every penny we can already?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Forwards with an extra year and cap hits under 2m. Not a rental, and can be retained to match the substitution cost of the players they'd be replacing. (Screened the list for players that would be interesting adds)

Nick Cousins -1.5
Calle Jarncrok - 2
Vlad Namestnikov -2
Noel Acciari - 1.67
Nicholas Deslauriers - 1
Johan Larsson - 1.4
Tyler Pitlick 1.75

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How do you gain talent at the level that will be a difference maker when your team is at the cap? Difference makers tend to be paid well. How do you fit them under the cap when we are pretty much spending every penny we can already?

We've got lots of room to make Tbay-style deadline additions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad