Confirmed with Link: [TBL/UTA] Lightning trade Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
It kind of does reek of some kind of tampering. Not sure what the deal will be, but I hope we're not going to 9. It was reported that Carolina offered 8x8.
Sounds like he wants a change in scenery and doesn't want to re-sign in Raleigh at any price unless it is a ridiculously high 10M+ salary. That being said BriseBois just got rid of a bad contract and he doesn't need to replace it with another just to say he made a splash.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Sounds like he wants a change in scenery and doesn't want to re-sign in Raleigh at any price unless it is a ridiculously high 10M+ salary. That being said BriseBois just got rid of a bad contract and he doesn't need to replace it with another just to say he made a splash.
He's a 30-40 goal guy that actually shoots. Adding a legit top 6 winger won't come easy but if we do, that solidifies our top 6 providing Stamkos is in the plans. If not, we still have a hole.

Hage - Point - Kuch
Guentzel - Cirelli -
? - Paul - ?
Chaffee - Glendening - Eyssimont

Unless the expectation is that Chaffee is ready for a bigger role, not sure why, then he's on the third at RW. We need two bottom six players regardless, whether that is Goncalves or someone taking.one, that's a need that can't be quick fixed like the last two years.

I don't see us adding a RD unless we are moving on from Perbix. Lilleberg and Crozier are still in the mix so the #6/7 spots are locked up. I think the glaring need is to resign Moser, land a top 6 winger, and address the bottom six stylistically - if we are moving on from Stamkos.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Wait a minute, that's right. This kid survived being paired with Dumba for a full year, this kid is going to be a monster.

I seriously gotta ask what BA was thinking here.
Their farm is fine and they just got an upgrade at LD. There's also the business side to this in bringing in a household name with experience and hopefully leadership to help others with less. This seems like a win/win trade. They got their guy, we downgraded to save cap space and appropriately got a 2nd/3rd pairing guy cost wise. I'm just glad we didn't retain.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Their farm is fine and they just got an upgrade at LD. There's also the business side to this in bringing in a household name with experience and hopefully leadership to help others with less. This seems like a win/win trade. They got their guy, we downgraded to save cap space and appropriately got a 2nd/3rd pairing guy cost wise. I'm just glad we didn't retain.
I wouldn't have given Moser up, plenty of other pieces.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Along with bringing guentzel in, this is an absolutely robbery for us. We essentially traded sergachev and a 3rd for a top center prospect, top 4 defenseman, multiple draft picks and guentzel. This is the kind of trade that keeps your competitive window open.
Imagine Geekie becomes a consistent 25-25 guy? That's what everyone expected Nick Ritchie to do in Anaheim when he was drafted, would be nice to have some cost controlled, cheap youth contribute on this roster.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Imagine Geekie becomes a consistent 25-25 guy? That's what everyone expected Nick Ritchie to do in Anaheim when he was drafted, would be nice to have some cost controlled, cheap youth contribute on this roster.

Read/watched some opinions that he was Mikko Rantanen-esque

I mean that's an incredibly high ceiling, but...

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Read/watched some opinions that he was Mikko Rantanen-esque

I mean that's an incredibly high ceiling, but...
I guess you can have a similar playstyle to a player without being or becoming as good as them.

Jonathan Drouin was compared to Patrick Kane in his draft year. I still think that was accurate. Of course he didn't quite reach the same level.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I guess you can have a similar playstyle to a player without being or becoming as good as them.

Jonathan Drouin was compared to Patrick Kane in his draft year. I still think that was accurate. Of course he didn't quite reach the same level.

Rantanen also blew away expectations.

I also find it weird to compare a center to a winger for playstyle purposes, so a little confused to see multiple takes on it. Perhaps Geekie projects more as a winger? IDK, prospect camp should reveal some things.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hello Bolts fans, Zona fan here I come in peace (not sure about my relationship with Utah yet, please be respectful).

Wondering two things:
1) Whether Serg has fully recovered from injury

2) What Utah is actually getting here. This is a guy that displaced Hedman on the PP a couple years ago, but after lurking in your forums a bit it seems like a decent number of you are thinking he's at least partly a cap dump. And I do remember when he signed that deal I thought it was a couple million too high, but obviously things change esp when a player is so young.

Also happy to answer any questions about Geekie / Moser, I had season tickets for a number of years until they moved to the Mullett so was able to see at least Moser live multiple times when he first joined the team (and very impressed by what I saw especially because he had no hype to him at all). Just tag me, happy to discuss if you have Qs. Thanks in advance!

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Hello Bolts fans, Zona fan here I come in peace (not sure about my relationship with Utah yet, please be respectful).

Wondering two things:
1) Whether Serg has fully recovered from injury

2) What Utah is actually getting here. This is a guy that displaced Hedman on the PP a couple years ago, but after lurking in your forums a bit it seems like a decent number of you are thinking he's at least partly a cap dump. And I do remember when he signed that deal I thought it was a couple million too high, but obviously things change esp when a player is so young.

Also happy to answer any questions about Geekie / Moser, I had season tickets for a number of years until they moved to the Mullett so was able to see at least Moser live multiple times when he first joined the team (and very impressed by what I saw especially because he had no hype to him at all). Just tag me, happy to discuss if you have Qs. Thanks in advance!
Dude has the tools and frankly is a good dman. Just could never put it together too consistently. He’ll join the rush and dazzle in one play and then make a bonehead turnover at the blue line the next. He’s physical, can fight, is quite mobile. But some decisions he makes will leave you scratching your head. Honestly, if we didn’t have Hedman, we’d probably have kept him. I don’t think he’s a true number 1, but he slots in decently as a 2 or even better as a 3.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Many Coyotes/Utah fans were very disappointed to give away JJMoser and Geekie. We really got a haul of a return honestly
Agreed. And we got a guy who is a much better fit for Sergachev's actual role on the team. Both Moser and Sergachev are going to have a better opportunity to shine. Sergachev just couldn't justify his contract in the role that was available to him here. He will score 50 points in Utah. 60 if they have a good PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $27,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00