Confirmed with Link: [TBL/UTA] Lightning trade Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
From what I've read Geekie has 2C potential as an option as well. He could, it's way too early to have him be the Cirelli replacement...but I'm glad we have 2 potential top 6 prospects with Howard and Geekie.
With the rising cap, Cirelli's contract won't look as bad. Especially if he's taking the toughest defensive assignments. Supposed to hit 93 next year.

I respect it.

Sergachev was the most logical move, I don't like the return though, feels like Seattle could've given us something better.
I like the return we got a high end prospect + cap space to get a player rather than just the player. I mean, the deal is good so long as we use the money wisely, because we get a guy more suited to play Sergachev's role than Sergachev, and we add a 6'4 center in a couple of years.

I respect it.

Sergachev was the most logical move, I don't like the return though, feels like Seattle could've given us something better.
I like the return. we got a high end prospect + cap space to get a player rather than just the player. I mean, the deal is good so long as we use the money wisely, because we get a guy more suited to play Sergachev's role than Sergachev, and we add a 6'4 center in a couple of years.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Hate to see Sergachev go, loved him as a person and was amazing to see him battle back from the injury this year, dude is a beast.... but this is the move that made the most sense to clear space and get a few more runs out of this team.

Also, excellent return on the trade, I was worried his contract would diminish the return.

Now hes got a chance to reach his full potential in Utah.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Hate to see Sergachev go, loved him as a person and was amazing to see him battle back from the injury this year, dude is a beast.... but this is the move that made the most sense to clear space and get a few more runs with out of this team.

Also, excellent return on the trade, I was worried his contract would diminish the return.

Now hes got a chance to reach his full potential in Utah.
I think Utah was one of the better trade partners we could have asked for. They've gathered a decent prospect pool over the years, as well as probably needed some higher contracts to reach the cap floor, while also getting a younger D similar in age to their other core.

I just wish the 2nd rd pick was Utahs and not Torontos

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
To be honest, the team is all in over the next two years and after that is rebuild time.
Yeah I said in another reply earlier. The team hasn't even drafted their Heddy replacement yet. They roll Heddy and McD and when the window closes and they sell shop the tanking /rebuild begins and they hopefully get lucky enough to strike on a #1 D prospect

Ideally they re-do what was done in 08 and 09 with back-to-back franchise piller picks

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
1719688999139.png

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sucks to see Sergachev go as many hoped he would eventually be the Hedman successor but after last season that wasn't looking likely. Hopefully he stays healthy and come blossom in Utah.

I really think we won't drop off much with Moser as he has most of the offensive abilities that Sergachev has, not a cannon though, so puck movement won't be the issue. He's smaller and not as good on the defensive side of the game. Kinda a left handed Raddysh?

Geekie looks like he's going to be the 2C of the future but is still a few years away from that. He has compete issues so we will have to work those out but his offensive ceiling and playmaker are high. Maybe a half season in Syracuse to learn the system then 3C for a year plus and then he can push Cirelli to the 3C where he belongs.

Really think BriseBois did well in both deals as we got a Sergachev replacement, Moser, a future 2C, Cirelli isn't it, and draft capital to wheel and deal. Just need a banger for the 4th line because we have no toughness on this team especially with Cernak health issues.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
It's a sad day to see him go, but at least the return is respectable. I'm interested to see what BriseBois does to get a future #1 dman back into the system.

Hedman/McDonagh/Moser/Lilleberg/Carlile is a solid left side, but the clock is ticking. At least with Sergachev, you knew who was going to take over as the #1 when father time caught up with the vets. Now it's hard to imagine who is capable of filling those shoes in 1-2 years from now.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Yeah I said in another reply earlier. The team hasn't even drafted their Heddy replacement yet. They roll Heddy and McD and when the window closes and they sell shop the tanking /rebuild begins and they hopefully get lucky enough to strike on a #1 D prospect

Ideally they re-do what was done in 08 and 09 with back-to-back franchise piller picks
Gosh I hope you are right, and the organization starts to hang on to draft choices as this core gets older using those picks to once again build the BEST farm system in the league.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Wow. I saw this break on my phone and my wife asked me why I was so shocked. This was a sad day because I loved Serge but this is a business and we needed cap space and some flexibility if we're going to try to win one more time in the two year window we have.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Geekie and Moser already sounds better than jeannot and sheary. Now get rid of sheary. Does Utah need any more vet leadership?

Reactions: ultra63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad