Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Looks like Scooby and the gang finally ripped McD's mask off.

Pretty happy the Leafs didn't pony up what Rangers fans wanted (Marner, KK, Lily and a 1st :laugh:)

Always teams regretting give up futures for shortened Cup room. At least McDonagh and Miller are returning to the Tampa next year, so the trade wasn't a complete playoff push trade only.
Funny how is "almost all" Leaf trades to improve their defence short term, the Leafs had to trade Nylander or Marner and more, but no other team had to give it's young NHL stars, in such a deal
Actually I'm somewhat optismistic about. the Leaf defence next year and in future years. Dermot, Borgman and Liljgren look like NHLers. Along with Reilly and hoping Zaitsev returns to form, that's might be a good cost effective base in 2019.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
So if Tampa wins last night this is a good trade, but after getting shut out in back to back games its a terrible trade?

Ya'll daft.

It was a bad trade regardless because McDonagh has been mediocre at best and we gave up two damn good prospects (not to mention the two high picks) to get him. I was against trading for McD from the start; when it happened I was happy that we at least didn’t give up Foote and that we traded from positions of strength, but thus far McD simply hasn’t been worth what we gave up for him and I stand by my opinion that we should have traded for a less costly defenseman who could give us solid play and keep Sustr and Dotchin off the ice. We could have gotten what McDonagh gave us without it costing two of our best prospects.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So if Tampa wins last night this is a good trade, but after getting shut out in back to back games its a terrible trade?

Ya'll daft.

I'm not saying it was a bad trade for Tampa. What McDonagh is now is still a solid defensemen, especially in a secondary role behind Hedman.

Being shocked at how much Mac has fallen off isn't a knock against him, its more a compliment to how f***ing awesome he was in 2014.

I think the return on the trade reflects this. Or the fact that McDonagh was even available.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
No Rangers fan legit asked for that. Most said Nylander straight up was fine or KK+Liljegren+1st.
I know most didn't think that but like every fan base there are some wild cards and I definitely saw that demand

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I used to like the leafs. I find the mindless bashing of all things Toronto, like it’s some rival city to mine, silly and annoying.
Maybe it's finally time to sign the divorce papers then? Because you spend more time in Leafs threads then some die hard Leafs fans i know.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
STILL A GOOD trade for Lighting because they have Miller and Mcdonaugh for 1 more year.

People here overrate prospects so much, when they don't even realize that a team's playoff window is very small. You go all out for the cup.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Let’s honestly not forget that McDonagh missed a lot of time and pretty much jumped straight into the playoffs in a new system. Tampa fans will see who he is next year with a full offseason with the team.

Miller though, I could have told you like anyone else that he wouldn’t keep the pace he was playing at the end of the regular season. He is either very noticeable or invisible, and that was clear in the playoffs again this year.

Reactions: bl02

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Looking back retrospectively at TBL's move here, McDonagh is still a very good blueliner. The lightning got him from us for cheaper than a lot of fans expected.

Whether going all in for a 1st pair defenseman to play 2nd pair minutes behind Hedman is good asset management is another matter. TBL looked more like they needed a power forward rather than extra defensive depth that series.

Hindsight is 20-20, though.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
STILL A GOOD trade for Lighting because they have Miller and Mcdonaugh for 1 more year.

People here overrate prospects so much, when they don't even realize that a team's playoff window is very small. You go all out for the cup.

I think the Bolts win it next year. McDonagh was injured this season and he clearly never recovered. Give him the offseason to rest and watch how good he is next year. He won't have to carry the load all by himself anymore and I think that will help keep him healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad