Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
As far as comparisons between Rheinhart vs Guentzel— it’s not about the best guy, but the right guy, and Guentzel over Rheinhart is definitely the right guy for Tampa.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
JBB just needed to be up front about it. He wasn't very transparent about Stamkos being a non-priority
That’s not really fair either though. For all we know it was a priority, but just fell further one notch further down the list than this signing. Teams have to make difficult decisions all the time and it wouldn’t have looked great if Guentzel fell through and Stamkos knew he wasn’t the first choice.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That’s not really fair either though. For all we know it was a priority, but just fell further one notch further down the list than this signing. Teams have to make difficult decisions all the time and it wouldn’t have looked great if Guentzel fell through and Stamkos knew he wasn’t the first choice.

Naw. Up until 36 hours ago not a single Lightning fan thought we needed an upgrade to Stamkos at forward, the theme of the summer was how we could create cap space to sign Stamkos.

You are not a priority if your exact role is being actively replaced.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
For real; a “complimentary” offensive player who is 15th league-wide in points per game (1.15), sharing that stat with Crosby, Forsberg and Reinhart.
That is above Point, Tkachuk, Barkov, Eichel
I love Jake but he’s a complimentary player. He’s probably the best one in the league.

Not an insult either sometimes those guys are harder to find than the play drivers. Watched the Pens struggle to find guys that fit Malkin and Sid’s game for years.

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
I love Jake but he’s a complimentary player. He’s probably the best one in the league.

Not an insult either sometimes those guys are harder to find than the play drivers. Watched the Pens struggle to find guys that fit Malkin and Sid’s game for years.
What’s your criteria for non-complimentary?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t know how to properly quantify it- best way I could put it is Guentzel ain’t going to be the one getting the line he’s on exits, entries, going end to end, beating guys one on one and drawing defenders. Not his game, doesn’t create his own space. To be really effective he needs a guy to carry the puck and someone to create.

He’s a sneaky guy off the puck, will make little plays to keep possession and is really good as a one touch passer and finisher from dangerous areas, especially the low slot. For instance he’d legit score 70 goals with McDavid but Pens don’t win a Cup with him instead of Kessel on the Hagel-Bonino-Kessel line.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’m fascinated to see Tampa’s PP sans a hall of fame one-timer at the left half wall. That was a perfectly constructed PP personnel-wise for a long time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I really like this move by Tampa. I think the writing was on the wall for Stamkos. He was clearly regressing 5v5. The one-timer on the left side will be missed, I’m sure, but Guentzel is just a far better player at this point and moving forward.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I’m fascinated to see Tampa’s PP sans a hall of fame one-timer at the left half wall. That was a perfectly constructed PP personnel-wise for a long time.

They had a lethal PP in 2017 and 2020 without Stamkos, the PP revolves completely around Hedman and Kucherov. For as much goals as he scored on the PP Stamkos was turning it over twice as much at the slightest sign of pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad