News Article: TBL chasing Karlsson is way for Wings to get Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Why wouldn't we just go after Karlsson ourselves rather than helping a divisional rival for an extra 2nd round pick/b prospect?

On this point specifically - we are so far away from competing with TBL as a division rival that it shouldn't be a consideration. The only important thing is to continue develop and improve our team. Passing up the opportunity to add assets that will help the rebuild because we are scared of helping someone in the division is silly in my opinion.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
On this point specifically - we are so far away from competing with TBL as a division rival that it shouldn't be a consideration. The only important thing is to continue develop and improve our team. Passing up the opportunity to add assets that will help the rebuild because we are scared of helping someone in the division is silly in my opinion.

Here is a novel way to rebuild and improve our team:

Sign Erik f***ing Karlsson.

My point is moreso about our focus rather than worrying about Tampa. Why nickle n dime for 2nd and 3rd round picks when we can prioritize a first pairing dman.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Sign Erik ****ing Karlsson.

My point is moreso about our focus rather than worrying about Tampa. Why nickle n dime for 2nd and 3rd round picks when we can prioritize a first pairing dman.

We know that going in though. I don't expect we take on dumps before June 23rd when we can talk to people. Also, we should be able to back channel through Zetterberg if he will even consider us well before that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Sign Erik ****ing Karlsson.

Yeah, he looked really good limping throughout the playoffs and being a defensive liability. At this point I would only sign him to a contract under 8 million and for less than 5 years, and I would still put some hard thought into converting him to wing.

Reactions: FMichael

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yeah, he looked really good limping throughout the playoffs and being a defensive liability. At this point I would only sign him to a contract under 8 million and for less than 5 years, and I would still put some hard thought into converting him to wing.

Injuries come and go but talent lasts a career.

Also, Karlsson is 5th in scoring while being injured. 16th if you want to sort by points/game. Once he heals properly he'll be even better, again.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It remains to be seen that Chris Ilitch wants to spend money on either team. He might be okay with spending the current amount or spending out on guys that they have no alternative but to spend out on (Franzen, Z, etc.) But I'd need to see a longer term commitment than what he's doing. Maybe he's just waiting out some of the bigger deals (and knows that given what is going on with the Tigers right now, he'd be vilified to no end if he pulled the exact same stunt with the Wings he did with the Tigers (signing off on a full-blown blow it up)
I mean, they did have the highest payroll this season... But in all seriousness, I don't see the hiring of Yzerman as a sign that they're planning on holding back, it was an ambitious move and I imagine they have ambitious plans to match. They've basically been at or near the cap since it was instituted and that clearly hasn't slowed. I'd say they've earned the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why in the hell would we need Johnson in the first place?

We don't need him. Maybe as a three-way, if he goes straight to Winnipeg on their 2nd line Center spot.

And we'll get Trouba.

Most proably we can take Callahan and picks/prospects for selling that cap space.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Injuries come and go but talent lasts a career.

Also, Karlsson is 5th in scoring while being injured. 16th if you want to sort by points/game. Once he heals properly he'll be even better, again.

I wouldn't bet the farm on him aging like a fine wine. He scored a ton of points in one round, when getting a ton of powerplay time, on a team much more talented than Detroit. There is no reason to believe that he will fully recover, he's got bad ankles and a bad groin, at an age and number of games played that many players start to slow down.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I wouldn't bet the farm on him aging like a fine wine. He scored a ton of points in one round, when getting a ton of powerplay time, on a team much more talented than Detroit. There is no reason to believe that he will fully recover, he's got bad ankles and a bad groin, at an age and number of games played that many players start to slow down.

Any team that signs Karlsson to a long term contract will be making a huge mistake.
There are multiple things that are wrong with him, including the groin and achilles, just to name a few.
And he doesn't play defense anyways.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Karlsson is going to win at least one Norris during his next contract if not more

feel free to quote me on that

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Where did you hear this? I have heard it was/is a hip issue that he is getting fixed this off season? Not that throwing 8 mil for 5 years is a good move in my mind either.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I see Karlsson signing to Philadelphia. They have nice mix of cap space, veterans, bargain contracts, youth, and RD PP QB spot open.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean, they did have the highest payroll this season... But in all seriousness, I don't see the hiring of Yzerman as a sign that they're planning on holding back, it was an ambitious move and I imagine they have ambitious plans to match. They've basically been at or near the cap since it was instituted and that clearly hasn't slowed. I'd say they've earned the benefit of the doubt on this one.

With one team, I think the Tigers are eventually sold to Gilbert to the benefit of Detroit sports fans, I am not sure Chris is up for the kind of spending it takes in baseball.

The Wings make money and are worth a fortune. I am curious why we haven't heard much on the Ilitch owned sports network that was floating around a year ago.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
With one team, I think the Tigers are eventually sold to Gilbert to the benefit of Detroit sports fans, I am not sure Chris is up for the kind of spending it takes in baseball.

The Wings make money and are worth a fortune. I am curious why we haven't heard much on the Ilitch owned sports network that was floating around a year ago.
Wait! What?
They brought Yzerman back to START making money again.
They've been barely breaking even for a while now, with Kenny' still spending most in the NHL
According to the Forbes, local TV viewership declines and empty LCA

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wait! What?
They brought Yzerman back to START making money again.
They've been barely breaking even for a while now, with Kenny' still spending most in the NHL
According to the Forbes, local TV viewership declines and empty LCA

The Red Wings print money, they aren't struggling.

Those are all down, but they still easily making a profit and the value of the franchise is still increasing.

It is one of the reasons we are having a thread where we are talking about taking on money. We are at the cap to leverage our LTIR! I seriously don't know how we can be half a decade in and have this argument come up as often as it does... Insurance pays for both Zetterberg and Franzen not the Ilitch family. They are laughably above any problem currently.

Hockey team payrolls don't cost that much, Cabrera, JV and one other dude made pretty much what the Wings did last year combined for most of our last glory run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad