Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CAR] Lightning trade 2025 3rd for Jake Guentzel

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
It would be possible to keep Stammer even if Jake signs for 8.5 or 9.5.
...but would it be in the best interests of the team moving forward? Depends on the cap hit
It’s a very good question that I’m familiar with as a Pens fan. But if you can sign Stammer, give him a legit star winger, and have two very dangerous lines, I don’t think it’s a terrible line of thinking.

Reactions: Outl4w

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
The amount of people here overvaluing draft picks after the 1st round is too damn high. We essentially gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 5th for Jeannot...the latter two picks being peanuts...in hopes that we could get a 20+ goal scorer who was physical as hell. It didn't work out. Oh well. But you have to take some risks. And the more successful teams as of late are built through FA/trades...not the draft.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
JBB is about to be really pissed when he sees this tweet.
I imagine he knows something he doesn't want to happen, such as another GM willing to offer way more that knocks us out of the running. Doesn't seem like Brisebois is taking the chance again of missing a player he wants. That's a pretty common trend with him given the prices paid, Hanifin debacle excluded.

Also, he seems very confined to a plan.

- Doesn't resign Stamkos all year
- Brings back McD during playoffs
- Trades Serg
- Trades Jeannot
- Still not resigning Stamkos
- Verge of adding a top line winger

Seems like he was waiting this season out before saying "enough is enough" and getting it together. I'd still like to see Stamkos signed. Our top 6 would be a f***ing nightmare.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I imagine he knows something he doesn't want to happen, such as another GM willing to offer way more that knocks us out of the running. Doesn't seem like Brisebois is taking the chance again of missing a player he wants. That's a pretty common trend with him given the prices paid, Hanifin debacle excluded.

Also, he seems very confined to a plan.

- Doesn't resign Stamkos all year
- Brings back McD during playoffs
- Trades Serg
- Trades Jeannot
- Still not resigning Stamkos
- Verge of adding a top line winger

Seems like he was waiting this season out before saying "enough is enough" and getting it together. I'd still like to see Stamkos signed. Our top 6 would be a f***ing nightmare.
I still don't see the point of Guentzel signing early at all. Like he knows he is going to get paid huge. Why not just wait the 24 hours?

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
It isn’t just the Jeannot trade it’s how he has treated Stamkos as well.

Gimme a break. The guy is a professional athlete who has had 16 years of steady employment and $100M+ career earnings on a team that produced 2 Cups (one basically without him) and ran into cap issues that are somewhat inevitable when you're at the top. It's JBB's job to ice a competitive team, not give out handouts. You can't just write Stammer a blank check purely bc of loyalty when you have a handful of other roster spots to fill in the off-season.

JBB did what he had to do to reload for next season, and, if that meant having to tell Stammer he had to wait on his contract to see how everything played out, so be it.

I would love to see Stammer back, but this is a business, and JBB knows damn well that more fans value winning and losing than "doing the right" thing...despite the virtue signaling.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Excited to see what Guentzel can do with Point and Kucherov.

Concerned how the PP will do without Stamkos in his office, presuming he walks in UFA.
Can it be that Stamkos only wants to re-sign if the Lightning re-arm significantly. He may want to make sure he gets a shot at the Cup in this last contract.

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
It will be 7x$9.25 million AAV or higher at a minimum if he signs with Tampa. This will be Guentzel's last big contract and the Canes offered 8x$8 which was Guentzel's original ask.

So he is going to want to maximize the value. Would not be shocked if he gets 7 x $9.5 or even $10. When you are the top free agent and you get to market, you usually get a little overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad