Claimed off Waivers: [TBL] Alex Barre-Boulet claimed off waivers by the Lightning from the Kraken

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So like, 12 teams decided not to put a claim on him?

Montreal? Chicago? Hello?
I think it has more to do with waiver rules. Since TB originally lost him to Seattle they had first claim on him. And, as I said in another post, that may mean they can send him straight to their AHL team if they want.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Claim a guy with potential, fly him across the country, give him 4th line minutes for 2 games and then waive him? Why?

Probably wanted to see what he can bring and they noticed/thought that he wasn't good enough to replace some other guys on their roster.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
I think it has more to do with waiver rules. Since TB originally lost him to Seattle they had first claim on him. And, as I said in another post, that may mean they can send him straight to their AHL team if they want.

Wouldn't the other teams (if any) after Seattle tried to claim ABB the first go around, have first priority?

Although that would mean that no other team tried to claim him the first time

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Lots of waiver misconceptions here.

The Lightning had no special right on reclaiming him. The only special circumstance is if no other team put in a claim, they can send him to AHL without waivers.
Waiver priority is still based on last season’s standings until Nov 1st. Then it’s based on points percentage (god remember that yahoo last season who argued for pages that points percentage never meant anything to the league…anyway).

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Thats always been the rule. Thats how a player bounced around a few teams a couple years ago.

Yea. Thats what I thought. But apparently it was floated around Twitter verse that Tampa had priority.

It just means a bunch of teams below Tampa didnt make a claim which is nutty to me. Montreal could have used him lol

Reactions: stlwahoo

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yea. Thats what I thought. But apparently it was floated around Twitter verse that Tampa had priority.

It just means a bunch of teams below Tampa didnt make a claim which is nutty to me. Montreal could have used him lol
Twitter, the source of all knowledge and truth.

Pens could use him too with covid/injuries. Mildly surprised he cleared.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Claim a guy with potential, fly him across the country, give him 4th line minutes for 2 games and then waive him? Why?

Kraken Have Five Players in COVID Protocol on Eve of Opener
Kraken have 5 players in COVID-19 protocol who are unlikely to play opener

Seattle Kraken coach Dave Hakstol said Calle Jarnkrok, Marcus Johansson, Jared McCann, Jamie Oleksiak and Joonas Donskoi are all on the COVID-19 protocol list just one day before the NHL's 32nd franchise prepares for its debut.

All five players are unlikely to play Tuesday against the Vegas Golden Knights.

Hakstol said the Kraken are working to fill out the roster now and are hoping to get recent waiver claim Alex Barre-Boulet on the team in time to play in Vegas.

Final rosters were due to the NHL on Monday at 5 p.m. ET.

Easy to forget now, but Seattle had four forwards go on Covid protocol right as the season was about to begin so they were potentially desperate for forwards. So they had the option of calling up an AHL guy(s) or combing the waiver wire for potential warm bodies. Three of the forwards ended up being cleared for the opener and the last one (Calle Jarnkrok) got cleared this week. Mix in Yanni Gourde being cleared with his shoulder injury and Seattle just ran out of roster spots.

Just a matter of circumstance. If they didn't have the Covid scare, then they probably don't put in a claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad