Tavares vs. Marner

Who's better right now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Who's better right now?

It's a difficult comparison because they're both so good and they play together. Marner has been getting tons of hype and for good reason meanwhile Tavares has quietly been scoring goals like crazy.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
John Tavares is a great player. The fact that Marner has been far more influential than Tavares is a testament to how good Marner really is.

As good as John Tavares is, currently and based on the games they’ve played together, Marner is the better player.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it depends on what you value. Personally I think they're super close. Tavares is better without the puck, and is having a fantastic defensive season and is great at scoring goals. Marner is great at carrying the puck and dishing it out. They complement each other perfectly

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Typically the goal scorer is the easy answer but Marner is someone who makes everyone better and can take the pressure off of his linemates. Hes one of those players where all you have to do is get open and be ready to shoot.

member 157595

Marner is the play driver on that line without question, but Tavares is better without the puck and incredible from a positioning standpoint. I'm glad they have both.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Marner is the play driver on that line without question, but Tavares is better without the puck and incredible from a positioning standpoint. I'm glad they have both.

Tavares has better corsi/fenwick stats than Marner this season. Tavares also plays the more impactful position as far as driving the play and is great on face offs. Not trying to oppose what you’re saying or say that corsi is everything but the stats don’t really agree that Marner is the play driver.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Tavares has better corsi/fenwick stats than Marner this season. Tavares also plays the more important position and is great on face offs. Not trying to oppose what you’re saying or say that corsi is everything but the stats don’t really agree that Marner is the play driver.
Easily 9 out of 10 shifts Marner is more influential. It couldn’t be any clearer by watching them.

If anything, those numbers are a perfect example of why stats (although a great tool in aiding with player valuations) without the context of the visuals are often useless and even many times misleading.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Marner for me. Hes the best and most valuable player on his team

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I love Tavares but anyone who votes for him here probably hasn't watched them play enough this season to know better.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Easily 9 out of 10 shifts Marner is more influential. It couldn’t be any clearer by watching them.

If anything, those numbers are a perfect example of why stats (although a great tool in aiding with player valuations) without the context of the visuals are often useless and even many times misleading.

Bingo. It's honestly naive to believe Tavares has been better this season. I would go as far as to say Marner is better on the pk, powerplay and even strength, and that's no knock on Tavares.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How is this even a question? Look, Tavares is certainly doing his part by knowing how to get open around the net and finishing plays, but anyone who has watched that line all years knows which of the two is actually driving the offense and creating the chances.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Wow this is a hard one. For the Leafs fans how is their defensive play? Honestly they are both great offensively but you have to believe Tavares is as good as he will get where as Marner could still improve. Marner for me I guess then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad