Rumor: Tarasenko will not be protected in expansion draft

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think they take Dunn too. The D that could be available in this draft is better overall than the forwards. I saw one preview that had Seattle picking Giordano, Dumba, Dunn and Shattenkirk.

That's a pretty good top four until you need them to actually play defense.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don’t really get the “I told you so’s” in here.

Either they take him and we free up $7.5 mil in cap, or we still keep him and deal him. Win/win scenario for the Blues since he wants out.

Let's just say that there were some people that handled themselves less than diplomatically when discussing his trade value

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The guy is owed almost 10M actual dollars next season and has a cap hit of 7.5M.

Also, he's put up 24 points since the summer of 2019 and had major surgeries.

Someone might get a steal if he's truly healthy, but all the teams with cap space usually don't have an extra 15M over the next 2 years kicking around to find out, and those teams that do have the money usually don't have the cap space for a 7.5M forward who hasn't scored more than 7 goals in the last 700 days.

Yeah, I am not sure why your description of the facts is so hard for most of the posters on this board to grasp.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m pissed my Devils didn’t trade for Tank . Could have been had for next to zero assets too . I guess they felt 7.5 (9.5 in actual $) was too risky

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Seattle is got to take him right? No way they don’t. 2 years left on contract and they will have cap space.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
There was a core group of fans that was adamant that someone would offer something good for him and that he was too valuable for St. Louis to expose.

Many of who are crowing right now were the ones that agree with you. St. Louis was better off exposing him and getting out from that contract without having to pay anything or take anything back.

I mean, they could still make a decent trade if Seattle doesn’t take him. I just think Army is taking the chance on freeing up the cap room.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I’m pissed my Devils didn’t trade for Tank . Could have been had for next to zero assets too . I guess they felt 7.5 (9.5 in actual $) was too risky

We may not have had the opportunity. Didn't seem like he was open to going to crappy teams. Never saw us mentioned as a possibility or a team he'd waive for

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah but they could probably do a 3-way trade or get someone to take him with max $1-2.5M going back to STL, no?

Who knows. Even if they did, the less cap they're taking in return, the lesser the value of the remaining parts would have to be.

In the end, losing him at the ED might be more or less equivalent to his trade value.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What on earth? Certainly he still has value even with his health concerns? Weird!

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I mean, they could still make a decent trade if Seattle doesn’t take him. I just think Army is taking the chance on freeing up the cap room.
I think the best thing St. Louis can do at this stage is trade him for a conditional return if he scores or plays a certain amount. A team out there might be willing to take that risk if they send back some salary or something. Or, equally, it happens at the deadline when most of his salary is paid and teams have seen him playing a bit more.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Taking those players seems like a great fastrack to end up exactly where a team like the Sharks is now
Doubtful. Other than Duchene, none of the star players getting exposed have term. Hockeying is hard to understand for some, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad