Proposal: Tarasenko to the Sabres

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
That said if I knew that that pick ended up top 2, I don't think I'd be able to let it go :laugh: So I dunno how well waiting until May would actually work lol.
Could you imagine Rantanen & Kaapo together + Mckinnon et al , now that would be terrifying for the whole league . If it was No2 & if i was you i wouldn't trade it 1 for 1 . Rantanen mentoring Kaapo , holy shit it scares me thinking about it .

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Could you imagine Rantanen & Kaapo together + Mckinnon et al , now that would be terrifying for the whole league . If it was No2 & if i was you i wouldn't trade it 1 for 1 . Rantanen mentoring Kaapo , holy **** it scares me thinking about it .

Yeah if it's top 2, or even top 4 / 5 depending on how the rest of the season plays out for Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach, et al...as I'm really high on Podkolzin & think his style would fit our team perfectly; especially if we just had a Zibanejad / Schenn (or better yet ROR) to center Jost & him...I think we should keep the pick and try our luck hunting for that missing star forward to anchor our 2nd line with quantity over quality packages.

But right now, while it's still a mystery box, it's a lot easier to give up for a superstar like senko lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weiss1604

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
"Here, take some picks and junk for your star player..."

That's what that reads like.
Scandella is a top 4 defenseman with term. So I'd imagine he'd hold some pretty significant value if shopped. Nylander has largely underwhelmed since being drafted, but has looked pretty good in Rochester this season and is still only 20. Okposo is definitely overpaid and probably even still overpaid at 20% retained so that's about the only "junk" in the proposed deal. Those picks are nothing to sneeze at either especially given the Blues struggles this season. I could see Blues fans having a legitimate argument that that the OP's offer is too light in value, but let's refrain from the exaggerations like calling the offer "picks and junk".

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Scandella is a top 4 defenseman with term. So I'd imagine he'd hold some pretty significant value if shopped. Nylander has largely underwhelmed since being drafted, but has looked pretty good in Rochester this season and is still only 20. Okposo is definitely overpaid and probably even still overpaid at 20% retained so that's about the only "junk" in the proposed deal. Those picks are nothing to sneeze at either especially given the Blues struggles this season. I could see Blues fans having a legitimate argument that that the OP's offer is too light in value, but let's refrain from the exaggerations like calling the offer "picks and junk".

Calling Scandella a top 4 defenseman is a stretch and a half.

Again, the value sucks.

Scandella is a bottom pairing defenseman.
Okposo has some injury concerns, a bad contract, and a term that isn't great either.
Nylander is a change of scenery project at this point.
The firsts? Cool, that's a good start, but the rest fails.

Not to diminish those players, but that isn't a good return and a classic quantity over quality for a damn good quality asset.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
So to recap:

To Buffalo - Tarasenko

To St. Louis - Mittelstadt, Pilut, Okposo, 1st, 1st, + prospect.

Are you adding Petro or Parayko too? Cause that's what the Sabres are sending you gets you.

Basically, I was insinuating that we aren’t moving senko. And it would have to be massive overpayment

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Calling Scandella a top 4 defenseman is a stretch and a half.

Again, the value sucks.

Scandella is a bottom pairing defenseman.
Okposo has some injury concerns, a bad contract, and a term that isn't great either.
Nylander is a change of scenery project at this point.
The firsts? Cool, that's a good start, but the rest fails.

Not to diminish those players, but that isn't a good return and a classic quantity over quality for a damn good quality asset.
You are flat out wrong on Scandella. Ask Wild fans what they think of him as a defenseman. His 20 some poor games this season don't determine his worth. He's a solid top 4 guy on a good contract. Calling him otherwise reeks of stat watching. He'd garner a very good return if shopped. Like I said before Nylander hasn't had a great start with the Sabres since he was drafted, but he's 20 years old. Let's pump the brakes on the "change of scenery" remarks. He hasn't even had a chance to play anything more than a handful of meaningless games at the NHL level. If this time next year he hasn't cracked the lineup the "change of scenery" remark could start to be considered.
As I said before I think the offer is light, however it's not the pile of garbage you are claiming it to be. It does lack a high-end piece which I'm sure most Blues fans would want to see in return for a great young player like Tarasenko, but as Sabres fans and Blues fans are well aware of, good players in their prime, with term don't always fetch what their fanbases think they will.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You are flat out wrong on Scandella. Ask Wild fans what they think of him as a defenseman. His 20 some poor games this season don't determine his worth. He's a solid top 4 guy on a good contract. Calling him otherwise reeks of stat watching. He'd garner a very good return if shopped. Like I said before Nylander hasn't had a great start with the Sabres since he was drafted, but he's 20 years old. Let's pump the brakes on the "change of scenery" remarks. He hasn't even had a chance to play anything more than a handful of meaningless games at the NHL level. If this time next year he hasn't cracked the lineup the "change of scenery" remark could start to be considered.
As I said before I think the offer is light, however it's not the pile of garbage you are claiming it to be. It does lack a high-end piece which I'm sure most Blues fans would want to see in return for a great young player like Tarasenko, but as Sabres fans and Blues fans are well aware of, good players in their prime, with term don't always fetch what their fanbases think they will.

I'm betting most Wild fans would re-do that expansion draft and Scandella would be a VGK.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Sure and Buffalo was just "listening to offers on O'Reilly". The reality is we don't really know what Armstrong has planned. Smart money would be on them keeping a youngish player who can pot 35 goals a year, but what the fans want and what Armstrong wants may not align. Making asinine demands that will never come to fruition really contributes nothing to any sort of discussion on "if" Tarasenko is actually moved (Thats not a shot at you).
Listening to offers for a guy who publicly stated he lost his passion for hockey =/= Armstrong listening to offers from other teams hoping to swoop in like a vulture and try to buy at dimes on a dollar.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Listening to offers for a guy who publicly stated he lost his passion for hockey =/= Armstrong listening to offers from other teams hoping to swoop in like a vulture and try to buy at dimes on a dollar.
That remark was and still is a complete nothing burger. Any Sabres fan with half a brain knew that O'Reilly played his ass off here and was a very underrated and underappreciated player. A small ridiculous contingent here in Buffalo and leaguewide shouldn't change the perception of him by knowlegable fans.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
If we completely disregard the deal, just imagine if Tarasenko was simply added to Buffalo (also pretend cap doesn't exist)

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Tarasenko

All kidding aside. Keep dreaming

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Do we need to wait till Orielly retires?
No, but seeing as it was a mostly futures based trade for Buffalo I’d say that it at least makes sense to see what the St. Louis 1st turns into, and how Tage Thompson develops, before we decide how Buffalo did in the trade.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
No, but seeing as it was a mostly futures based trade for Buffalo I’d say that it at least makes sense to see what the St. Louis 1st turns into, and how Tage Thompson develops, before we decide how Buffalo did in the trade.
So a couple years? that 2020 pick is going to have to be top 10

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
St Louis fans just gauging maybe Ill make a thread... looking from the CBJ to make a move for Tarasenko to help keep Panarin here. We have one of the deepest goalie pospect pools in the league which could help long term. The main piece going to you would likely be Zach Werenski (unless you would prefer Ryan Murray and before people make ignorant comments on Murray please look at the numbers). Multiple 1sts on the table. Also likely your choice of F prospects not named Foudy.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
The likelihood of ever drafting a guy outside of the top 10 that is a perennial 35 - 35 player is very very unlikely. The Sabres look like they're close to ascending the hump. In my opinion though, I don't necessarily disagree with you that right now is not the year that Buffalo should be doing so. They should try to draft one more elite defenseman and solidify the goaltending position before ponying up for a player such as Tarasenko.

From the Blues side for what it's worth I don't think it makes sense to trade our best goal scorer and pretty much only goal scorer when we at times struggle to score goals.

We have Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin and to a lesser extent Reinhart. We aren't short on high end talent.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Nope. Not trading our best player to make up for trading away the 1st. I'd personally rather tank this season, and see how we do in the lottery. Cuz right now it seems like we are gonna end up with it this year anyway and buffalo will get 2020 instead
I agree with this post. The deal doesn’t make St. Louis better in any way. Draft picks and spare parts. It’s awesome for Sabres. Dump some so do contracts and extra picks for an elite player.

Reactions: Yakupov64

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
So to recap:

To Buffalo - Tarasenko

To St. Louis - Mittelstadt, Pilut, Okposo, 1st, 1st, + prospect.

Are you adding Petro or Parayko too? Cause that's what the Sabres are sending you gets you.
If I’m St. Louis I’m asking for something like this package. I need young cost controlled talent. Now I seriously doubt Sabres would trade Pilut. His first 2 months in AHL and handful in NHL suggest he’s a serious asset. Mittlestaedt on paper seems really valuable but he all potential at this stage. The picks would be a must.

Not sure this is a direction the Sabres need to go. Seems rash. Would Tarasenko put the Sabres over the top and allow us to compete with Tampa? Nashville? Seems highly doubtful. Defense would be too suspect. I don’t see Tarasenko to Buffalo as a realistic idea.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The likelihood of ever drafting a guy outside of the top 10 that is a perennial 35 - 35 player is very very unlikely. The Sabres look like they're close to ascending the hump. In my opinion though, I don't necessarily disagree with you that right now is not the year that Buffalo should be doing so. They should try to draft one more elite defenseman and solidify the goaltending position before ponying up for a player such as Tarasenko.

From the Blues side for what it's worth I don't think it makes sense to trade our best goal scorer and pretty much only goal scorer when we at times struggle to score goals.

Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin are all making or are soon going to be making a lot of money.

Trading away a bunch of assets to add another expensive player instead of cheap young ELC talent is not how you rebuild.

St. Louis really shouldn’t be trading him anyway, he’s awesome.

STL has been a team trading 1st for established player. Tampa has done this too. They also have going to UFAs. Toronto is too top heavy and their contracts likely aren’t staggered.

Buffalo had a large number of picks and prospects in such a short window that they had to trade some away.

They tried to follow something like what Chicago did with Kane and Toews on their ELC. It didn’t go as planned. They traded ROR and Kane out and got back stuff that is roughly equivalent to what got traded out.

Buffalos needs to be careful with cap crunch issues. Yes ideally you want ELC to balance out high contracts.

I’d like to have Skinners extension be 5 yrs because nylander after his ELC and bridgecould replace him.
Mittlestadt on a 3 yr bridge after his ELC takes him to when Okposo ends his contract.
With one of the 4 1sts in the next 2 years would be used to target a Dman that isn’t part of the team until after Dahlin goes on his 2nd contract...or he could be looked at as a Ristolainen replacement and they trade him for stuff in 21 when he has a yr left.

I’d rather get a veteran that has 4 yrs on a contract left than try to sign open market player for 7.

If buffalo was going after Tarasenko it would have Reinhart likely going back both from quality and cap cost.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If I’m St. Louis I’m asking for something like this package. I need young cost controlled talent. Now I seriously doubt Sabres would trade Pilut. His first 2 months in AHL and handful in NHL suggest he’s a serious asset. Mittlestaedt on paper seems really valuable but he all potential at this stage. The picks would be a must.

Not sure this is a direction the Sabres need to go. Seems rash. Would Tarasenko put the Sabres over the top and allow us to compete with Tampa? Nashville? Seems highly doubtful. Defense would be too suspect. I don’t see Tarasenko to Buffalo as a realistic idea.

If i'm the Blues, I ask for that package while taking a combination of those assets. If I'm the Sabres, I'm targeting Petro instead. Or both for that entire package. Or at least trying to swap out Mittelstadt for some other centre prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad