Tarasenko Is Taking Over

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I had Schmaltz ahead of Fabbri.

I look forward to being proven very, very wrong.

Well Schmatlz does have 8 points in 9 games so far, so it's not like Schmatlz has been playing poorly. I had Fabbri just ahead of Schmaltz, would've been happy with either, but slightly annoyed if we took Schmaltz ahead of Fabbri, especially with Barbashev falling into our laps allowing us to get an offensive center that still plays hard defensively and a more of a true 2-way center.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Everyone should go check out the Tarasenko article Cotsonika just posted on Puck Daddy, it's a really good read. I'd add a link but I'm on my phone.

Yep, absolutely terrific read. I'm on my phone at work as well so I can't link it but it's been retweeted by some Blues writers.

On the Fabbri vs Schmaltz debate, I also had Schmaltz ahead of Fabbri and was pretty choked to see him go before us. I think both players will have good careers, Schmaltz will have a later impact since he's going the college route, but that doesn't mean he'll be a worse player. Fabbri should be on the roster next season, and I have high hopes for him. Will be interesting to see who's better 6-7 years down the road.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The Blues still didn’t take Tarasenko with the 14th pick. They took Canadian winger Jaden Schwartz instead. They liked Schwartz, obviously, and they wanted a sure thing because they felt the organization was at a stage where it couldn’t afford to come out of the draft with nothing. “It would be disingenuous to say we weren’t a little nervous,” Armstrong said. “We would have taken him at 14.”
This little bit in particular really makes me think they had Tarasenko higher than Schwartz. I'd bet a lot higher.

Link: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/blood...arasenko-was-born-to-score-161919923-nhl.html

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Thanks for posting the articles guys they are excellent reads! I had a feeling that Lehtera was legit and would help this team before he came over, but man I had no idea he would be this important to the Blues this early on in the season. Having 2 skilled playmaking centers has completely changed the offensive dynamic of this team.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Dominant again.

When you watch the difference between him and everyone else on the ice against him, its obvious. Every point is earned and he's deserved more TBH. Its not like hes getting fluke bounces or BS assists, he's creating every chance it seems.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I've noticed in the last couple of games a difference in Tarasenko's explosiveness and overall speed from last year to this year. He seems to be an incredible amount faster and much more explosive first 3 steps. Am I imagining things, or has Frank really improved his overall speed and explosiveness as drastically as it seems like to me?

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I noticed it as well. He has always been just slightly above average as far as speed goes, but he really seems to have added some pop to his skating. Not quite Mackinnon first steps, but he's not too far off. Definitely reminding me more and more of Bure every game ( which is a good thing, as Bure is my favorite player of all time).

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
What's amazing to me with Tarasenko and friends is that entire line is on a point-per-game pace. I know it has only been 16 games, but we haven't seen that here since the late 90s. And Shatty isn't too far behind either.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What's amazing to me with Tarasenko and friends is that entire line is on a point-per-game pace. I know it has only been 16 games, but we haven't seen that here since the late 90s. And Shatty isn't too far behind either.
Yeah those 4 are absolutely driving the offense.

Sure it'd be nice if other players scored, but I absolutely have no problem with being top heavy to be honest. When you have 4 players scoring around a PPG, you're gonna win games, and that's all that matters right now. As long as other players get into their groove by the playoffs, I'm not concerned at all. In fact it's fun to watch because I've always been envious of the teams like the Ducks, 'Hawks, etc. who could rely on their big guns to score. Now, we finally have something like that. The scoring by committee is a nice approach, but that just signals that you don't really have many true 1st line guys. Now we do.

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013

Sure it'd be nice if other players scored, but I absolutely have no problem with being top heavy to be honest. When you have 4 players scoring around a PPG, you're gonna win games, and that's all that matters right now. As long as other players get into their groove by the playoffs, I'm not concerned at all. In fact it's fun to watch because I've always been envious of the teams like the Ducks, 'Hawks, etc. who could rely on their big guns to score. Now, we finally have something like that. The scoring by committee is a nice approach, but that just signals that you don't really have many true 1st line guys. Now we do.

Berglund had a really good game last night with Oshie back. And you just know Stastny and Steen will start clicking eventually. I'm not worried at all either.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I'd agree with that for the most part. I really wish Stas, Backes and company would start generating scoring chances more consistently though. If our top line continues to play well, and the second line starts showing the effectiveness they had last season, we'll be in good shape. Backes, Steen, and Stas have been consistently productive for long enough that I'm not worried about them, but it would be nice if we could see more games like last night where our top line didn't have to create every goal for us.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Projected scoring over full season - (doesn't mean much)

Tarasenko - 50 g 55 a 105 p
Lehtera - 30 g 50 a 80 p
Schwartz - 30 g 50 a 80 p
Shattenkirk - 5 g 65 a 70 p

Shows how hot these guys are right now

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tarasenko is on pace for a +72 lol.

The crazy/scary part, he is on pace for 323 shots and a shooting percentage of 15.9%, both of which are pretty sustainable and reasonable enough numbers for him.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's pretty clear to me that he put a lot of time in to improve his skating and explosiveness this year. That's the biggest difference I'm seeing from last year. The crazy part is he does appear to have had to drop any weight to do it.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
It's pretty clear time that he put a lot of time in to improve his skating and explosiveness this year. That's the biggest difference I'm seeing from last year. The crazy part is he does appear to have had to drop any weight to do it.

Believe he went from 229 (JR confirmed that he came into camp last year at this weight...insane) to 219 now. Cut some fat, maintain the muscle. Tarasenko is a deceptively big dude.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Believe he went from 229 (JR confirmed that he came into camp last year at this weight...insane) to 219 now. Cut some fat, maintain the muscle. Tarasenko is a deceptively big dude.

Was he that big last year? I could have sworn they had him coming in to camp around 220. I could be wrong though.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Projected scoring over full season - (doesn't mean much)

Tarasenko - 50 g 55 a 105 p
Lehtera - 30 g 50 a 80 p
Schwartz - 30 g 50 a 80 p
Shattenkirk - 5 g 65 a 70 p

Shows how hot these guys are right now

They're definitely going to slow down; Frank is shooting at around 16%, and Lehtera is at an absurd 22.2%. Still, Frank is shooting enough that he could finish the year with 40 goals, and if he does, I'm betting Lehtera could finish with 60 points. Schwartz is going to have a great year too: he's shooting 30% more than last year and is playing with better linemates, scoring-wise.

My projections (assuming everybody stays healthy):

Tarasenko - 40g, 30a
Schwartz - 30g, 40a
Lehtera - 15g, 40a

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
They're definitely going to slow down; Frank is shooting at around 16%, and Lehtera is at an absurd 22.2%. Still, Frank is shooting enough that he could finish the year with 40 goals, and if he does, I'm betting Lehtera could finish with 60 points. Schwartz is going to have a great year too: he's shooting 30% more than last year and is playing with better linemates, scoring-wise.

My projections (assuming everybody stays healthy):

Tarasenko - 40g, 30a
Schwartz - 30g, 40a
Lehtera - 15g, 40a
Id give Tara around 75-80 points, Think Schwartz will be around where you say, but I cant see Lehtera only scoring 9 goals the rest of the way with those two setting him up. Have him around 20-23 goals, 40 assists.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Id give Tara around 75-80 points, Think Schwartz will be around where you say, but I cant see Lehtera only scoring 9 goals the rest of the way with those two setting him up. Have him around 20-23 goals, 40 assists.

So combined, close to 100 goals? WOW. A 100 G line.

Who are the hockey gods, and how do I make my sacrifice?

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
e9ipm.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad