Tarasenko and Offer Sheets

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Spinning off the thread on the main boards.

We all know Vlad is up for contract at the end of the year. Especially with the season he has had, I would guarantee there will be at least one offer sheet coming his way. I don't see him signing it ( unless Army tries to play hardball on term or $ ), since it seems that he genuinely likes the city/team.

In the event that he does, though, where do you draw the line? Personally, I think anything below the $8.4m/yr is a snap-match. Above that and there has to be serious consideration as to how the $ or picks will affect the team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He'll be signed before he's eligible for an offer sheet. I personally don't see him turning the screws on Army either. He's so damn team oriented. Might be wishful thinking but I see him signing a fairly team friendly contract.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
naturally, he is going to sign a 8 year 4 million dollar deal here

the nhlpa will rule that it isn't a good contract and that there is collusion in the blues office, and a judge will then give tarasenko to the devils, along with pietrangelo and 3 1st round picks

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Im not worried about it at all, Army will get it done early. Even if he doesnt we will match anything. People said the same thing about Petro and he didnt even sign until training camp.

sparkycircuit

Jan 11, 2014
naturally, he is going to sign a 8 year 4 million dollar deal here

the nhlpa will rule that it isn't a good contract and that there is collusion in the blues office, and a judge will then give tarasenko to the devils, along with pietrangelo and 3 1st round picks

#jokesthataren'tfunny

it's hard to be a Blues fan.

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Whatever they do I hope they extend Schwartz for a similar length at the same time. All last offseason we heard about how Schwartz's new deal must follow along the same pattern as the guys who had signed beforehand. Now to move away from that team ethos to sign Tarasenko long term (which they entirely should do mind you, he HAS to be locked away long term) has got to be a bit of a slap in the face to Schwartz if they don't extend him at the same time doesn't it?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
To me, this is where Army has been very good. Contracts are Army's main strength. Apart from the Shattenkirk deal(the term, not the salary) and possibly the Berglund deal, I've been very pleased with his contract decisions. I love the Steen, Stastny, Pietrangelo, Elliott, Reaves, Schwartz, and Oshie contracts. I have full faith in him in this regard.

Trading, he's been kind of hit or miss. Still like the Shatty for EJ deal(though was he technically GM at that time?), JBo trade was great for a season, but with his play slipping it's getting less and less appealing. Miller trade didn't work, at all, but I understand why it was made. Wasn't happy in what we gave up, but at least he didn't compound the problem and sign Miller(which would've cost Fabbri on top of everything we gave up). I like the Gunnar/Husso for Polak swap still. Sold low on Perron, even though Barbashev looks to be a nice pick etc.

Contracts are where he shines. I don't think we'll get to that point. If he does sign an offersheet, match it. Period. Unless it will cripple the team financially for years to come, match it. Superstar forwards, especially those that are great playoff performers, are extremely difficult to find. You just can't let him walk.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Whatever they do I hope they extend Schwartz for a similar length at the same time. All last offseason we heard about how Schwartz's new deal must follow along the same pattern as the guys who had signed beforehand. Now to move away from that team ethos to sign Tarasenko long term (which they entirely should do mind you, he HAS to be locked away long term) has got to be a bit of a slap in the face to Schwartz if they don't extend him at the same time doesn't it?

Schwartz shouldn't be anywhere near Tarasenko's deal. I can Schwartz around 5 and Tarasenko around 7 for long term deals

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Spinning off the thread on the main boards.

We all know Vlad is up for contract at the end of the year. Especially with the season he has had, I would guarantee there will be at least one offer sheet coming his way. I don't see him signing it ( unless Army tries to play hardball on term or $ ), since it seems that he genuinely likes the city/team.

In the event that he does, though, where do you draw the line? Personally, I think anything below the $8.4m/yr is a snap-match. Above that and there has to be serious consideration as to how the $ or picks will affect the team.

Which thread was this being discussed on the main board?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Schwartz shouldn't be anywhere near Tarasenko's deal. I can Schwartz around 5 and Tarasenko around 7 for long term deals

I disagree with this. I think it's a Parise/Kovalchuk or Toews/Kane situation. They each have their strengths, but it's tough to say one player is better than the other. Tarasenko will likely always put up more points, but you can't just ignore what Schwartz does defensively, especially in the neutral zone. His ability to turn pucks over is a big reason why the STL line works as well as it does. He's a beast in the corners, a great passer, and is always in the right spot. I think they are very comparable players. I'd maybe give Tarasenko 500,000 more per season because scoring 40 goals(which he would've done this year without injuries, and will almost certainly hit a few times in his career) puts you in elite company, but not much more than that. Schwartz is an awesome player.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schwartz is a very good player, but Tarasenko is an elite game breaker.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He's already got 6 goals in 5 playoff games, with most of the 5th game left. At this rate he'll score 20 playoff goals if The Blues get to The Finals. IF that happens, he'll probably ask for $10 million a year!

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I could see the Blues and Tank settling on around 7-8 mil a year, only because this is his first great season and he'll have to prove he can replicate it.

Could also see him even taking a pay cut for the team, he's such a humble player

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I could see the Blues and Tank settling on around 7-8 mil a year, only because this is his first great season and he'll have to prove he can replicate it.

Could also see him even taking a pay cut for the team, he's such a humble player

The kid definitely had a breakout season this year. No question. But thinking that that automatically translates into $7-8 million/yr. for 5-6 yrs. is a real stretch. Realistically speaking, I see Armstrong offering Tarasenko a 2-3 yr. bridge deal in the neighborhood of $5-5.5 mil./yr. That's fair to both parties. Vlad gets a huge pay increase, while the Blues get some protection in case Tarasenko can't replicate this season's success, or (God forbid) he suffers a serious injury in the next couple of years. Of course, another team could come along and sign him to some bloated offer sheet as well. That would definitely change the dynamic drastically. Alot will also depend on VT's agent & the level of hardball he's willing to play with the Blues front office. We shall see!

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
The kid definitely had a breakout season this year. No question. But thinking that that automatically translates into $7-8 million/yr. for 5-6 yrs. is a real stretch. Realistically speaking, I see Armstrong offering Tarasenko a 2-3 yr. bridge deal in the neighborhood of $5-5.5 mil./yr. That's fair to both parties. Vlad gets a huge pay increase, while the Blues get some protection in case Tarasenko can't replicate this season's success, or (God forbid) he suffers a serious injury in the next couple of years. Of course, another team could come along and sign him to some bloated offer sheet as well. That would definitely change the dynamic drastically. Alot will also depend on VT's agent & the level of hardball he's willing to play with the Blues front office. We shall see!

I somewhat agree, but I think that his success definitely translates. This year was no fluke, Vlad is the real deal. We need to lock him up for the next 7-8 years for sure.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm not too worried about offer sheets. There's been only 1 successful one since the start of the new RFA rules (Penner to EDM). And I'll note that if either the Blues or Tarasenko elect for arbitration, an offer sheet for him isn't pissible.

My guess is a deal gets done for around 7-8 years with an AAV OF $7M. Something like: $5M, $5.5M, $6.5M, $7M, $7M, $8M, $8M, $9M.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

To help mitigate the injury risk for a long range deal for Tarasenko, the Blues would definitely get it insured. Pretty much every team has their top 5-10 contracts insured...expect CLB apparently who didn't insire the Horton contract.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I somewhat agree, but I think that his success definitely translates. This year was no fluke, Vlad is the real deal. We need to lock him up for the next 7-8 years for sure.
No one said he's a fluke. He's definitely a naturally gifted goal scorer. Nonetheless, any shrewd NHL GM is going to think twice before inking any player to a long term deal---especially a player looking to sign only his 2nd contract with a club. That's a very risky proposal indeed.

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Yeah I wasn't proclaiming they should receive the same deal just that an extension should be worked out with Schwartz at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This thread has moved off the original topic of offersheets for Tarasenko. All talk about Armstrong's contracts has been moved to the season discussion thread. That's where it belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad