Confirmed with Link: Tanev Signs With Leafs | 6 Years $4.5 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

horner

May 22, 2007
Good player, but why did we have to give him 27m and a NMC to sign here? I hate this contract, the cap circumvention is obvious and the league never hesitates to make an example when we’re involved. Happy to have Tanev, but this contract is going to have real consequences for us down the line.
There was alot of crazy signings today.
RD were a priority
None of these deals will look great down the road.
When you don't draft dman this is what we are left with.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I don't get the criticism, the Leafs needed to improve their d and their window to win is now. If you have to give a dman that should make you better in the short term more money or term than is ideal who cares? It almost seems like some people just assume that all the other good d men who signed today had interest in signing with the Leafs and the Leafs could've chosen those players instead.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That is not at all how retirement works
This retirement comment always amazes me. Athletes generally don't want away from years of salary. It's entirely likely that this contract eventually ends with a Leaf buyout.

A lot of his injuries were caused by blocking so many shots. They usually don't have long term effects like muscle or ligament damage does.

He still does block a lot so it'a always a possibility, as he did block a shot with his face in the playoffs this year, but this guy is a legit warrior. It's exactly what the Leafs needed and 4.5 mil is nothing for someone who can play at his level for 20 mins a night agaonst the league'a best.

Crazy the over reaction. I would be fine if he givea the Leafs 3 years of great play. In 4 years the cap will be 100 million. He will make 4.5% and it will be no big deal
Exactly. When the time eventually comes, be it year 4 or 5 of the contract, the Leafs will simply buy it out.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The leafs always have to give everything, never get a discount. 6 years, 80% signing bonus, and a full NMC the whole way through and still couldn’t get him lower

Glad to have him, but who the f*** is negotiating these contracts
Unfortunately it’s not a premium destination for players with higher taxes, cost of living, media scrutiny and lack of playoff success. So they do the best they can. Term isn’t an issue for under 35 contracts and they’re getting decent value in these signings.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
At this stage I don't think it matters that this is the Leafs. I think the USA vs Canada is becoming a big pain point for Canadian teams to get players at good values. It's too bad there's a cap because the cap impacts a team like the Leafs where it gives US teams with warm climates and better tax situations a huge advantage

This is why I will continue to cheer for every Canadian team. Bettman has handicapped the Canadian teams and he doesn't give a shit.

Reactions: Jojalu

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Can you talk about the Leafs being the local team you watched growing up? You are from here, and you know Brad Treliving. Did all of those factors play into the decision to come to Toronto?

Tanev: It is a team with elite talent and some of the best players in the world. They have had a ton of regular-season success. It has been impressive watching their top-end guys.

I am from here. I grew up in East York, so I am a Toronto kid. I am definitely excited to raise my family here.

I worked with Tre for three years in Calgary. He is a stand-up guy and really a good human. He wants to win just like I do. There are a lot of similarities there.

How did the last few days play out? Did you figure it was inevitable once the Leafs traded for your rights?

Tanev: It was a stressful last few days for me. Once I realized it wasn’t going to happen with Dallas and Toronto was able to trade for my rights, I wouldn’t say it was inevitable. I think my agent, Tre, and Brandon (Pridham) grinded over the last day. They figured out how we could make this work.

It is super exciting for me to come home and play for a team that has so much history and so much expectation. Obviously, winning in Toronto is everyone’s ultimate goal.

After such a strong, deep run in Dallas, why didn’t you sign there?

Tanev: Cap constraints is one reason. Family is another reason. I have my second child on the way in a couple of months. Being close to home and being around grandparents is important.

The main thing is that I think this team is really good. There are so many elite players here.
It is not like I am leaving Dallas to a team that hasn’t been successful over the last number of years. There is a ton of elite talent here. There is a new coach coming in who is a Stanley Cup champion. He is going to bring a different aspect and game style, maybe, to how we want to play here. Super excited for all of that.

When a state such as Dallas has such a low income tax, is it something you consider when making this choice?

Tanev: That stuff comes into play, obviously. I can’t thank Dallas enough for how they helped me — ownership, Jim Nill, and the coaches were amazing. They welcomed me with open arms. I really appreciated that a lot.

There were a few things that didn’t work out. You do have the lower state tax there, but I played in Canada for 14 years. I am from here. My wife’s family is from close to here. There is also a tax when you leave Canada to become a U.S. citizen. There is a departure tax to leave Canada, so that plays a role in it. And there are family reasons.

Coming to a good team is a big part of it. I didn’t want to leave Dallas and go to a team that wasn’t trying to win. That was a huge reason why this happened.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
At this stage I don't think it matters that this is the Leafs. I think the USA vs Canada is becoming a big pain point for Canadian teams to get players at good values. It's too bad there's a cap because the cap impacts a team like the Leafs where it gives US teams with warm climates and better tax situations a huge advantage

This is why I will continue to cheer for every Canadian team. Bettman has handicapped the Canadian teams and he doesn't give a shit.

someone pointed it out - that the Canadian teams should come together and have some legitimate hits at the next CBA meeting. if the majority of your revenue is coming from Canada, then quite frankly Canada deserves a little bit of leeway in things.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Can you talk about the Leafs being the local team you watched growing up? You are from here, and you know Brad Treliving. Did all of those factors play into the decision to come to Toronto?

Tanev: It is a team with elite talent and some of the best players in the world. They have had a ton of regular-season success. It has been impressive watching their top-end guys.

I am from here. I grew up in East York, so I am a Toronto kid. I am definitely excited to raise my family here.

I worked with Tre for three years in Calgary. He is a stand-up guy and really a good human. He wants to win just like I do. There are a lot of similarities there.

How did the last few days play out? Did you figure it was inevitable once the Leafs traded for your rights?

Tanev: It was a stressful last few days for me. Once I realized it wasn’t going to happen with Dallas and Toronto was able to trade for my rights, I wouldn’t say it was inevitable. I think my agent, Tre, and Brandon (Pridham) grinded over the last day. They figured out how we could make this work.

It is super exciting for me to come home and play for a team that has so much history and so much expectation. Obviously, winning in Toronto is everyone’s ultimate goal.

Tanev: Cap constraints is one reason. Family is another reason. I have my second child on the way in a couple of months. Being close to home and being around grandparents is important.

The main thing is that I think this team is really good. There are so many elite players here.
It is not like I am leaving Dallas to a team that hasn’t been successful over the last number of years. There is a ton of elite talent here. There is a new coach coming in who is a Stanley Cup champion. He is going to bring a different aspect and game style, maybe, to how we want to play here. Super excited for all of that.

When a state such as Dallas has such a low income tax, is it something you consider when making this choice?

Tanev: That stuff comes into play, obviously. I can’t thank Dallas enough for how they helped me — ownership, Jim Nill, and the coaches were amazing. They welcomed me with open arms. I really appreciated that a lot.

There were a few things that didn’t work out. You do have the lower state tax there, but I played in Canada for 14 years. I am from here. My wife’s family is from close to here. There is also a tax when you leave Canada to become a U.S. citizen. There is a departure tax to leave Canada, so that plays a role in it. And there are family reasons.

Coming to a good team is a big part of it. I didn’t want to leave Dallas and go to a team that wasn’t trying to win. That was a huge reason why this happened.
Hammering the hometown angle? Yeah, ok dude - why'd it take so long to close and you squeeze every dollar on a ridiculous term?
Sorry, I know it's cynical and Brad/Leafs mgmt got bent yet again, but it's bloody frustrating that he gets absolutely absurd term and a damn good chunk of money considering the length. Jesus.

From my side, it's 2nd pair money for a guy who's a killer PK guy and a very capable of top pair tough minutes, so 4.5m for that is actually very good value, but the term is horrendous and is going to bite us hard IMO. I guess I got my hopes up that we'd actually get a nice discount for the long term based on the rumors prior to today.

I like the player, looking forward to his play style the next two years, but he's gonna fall off a cliff - if he's even healthy - and he'll either sit on LTIR for 3/4 years or we're stuck watching a 40 year old making 2nd pair money.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Hammering the hometown angle? Yeah, ok dude - why'd it take so long to close and you squeeze every dollar on a ridiculous term?
Sorry, I know it's cynical and Brad/Leafs mgmt got bent yet again, but it's bloody frustrating that he gets absolutely absurd term and a damn good chunk of money considering the length. Jesus.

From my side, it's 2nd pair money for a guy who's a killer PK guy and a very capable of top pair tough minutes, so 4.5m for that is actually very good value, but the term is horrendous and is going to bite us hard IMO. I guess I got my hopes up that we'd actually get a nice discount for the long term based on the rumors prior to today.

I like the player, looking forward to his play style the next two years, but he's gonna fall off a cliff - if he's even healthy - and he'll either sit on LTIR for 3/4 years or we're stuck watching a 40 year old making 2nd pair money.
What dman that can play top mins against the very best and have success is playing for less than 4.5?

Just look at what every other team paid for defenders today. Aome not nearly as good as Tanev.

Who cares about 4 years from now? They spread it out so he could get close to fair market value but keep the cap hit reasonable.

The cap will be much bigger by the end of his contract and he will take up less than 4% of it.

That is if he doesn't retire before that.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don't get the criticism, the Leafs needed to improve their d and their window to win is now. If you have to give a dman that should make you better in the short term more money or term than is ideal who cares? It almost seems like some people just assume that all the other good d men who signed today had interest in signing with the Leafs and the Leafs could've chosen those players instead.
Some people would only be happy if we had signed Prime Pronger, Lidstrom & Bourque all at their salaries from 15-20 years ago.

Nah they'd complain about that too.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What dman that can play top mins against the very best and have success is playing for less than 4.5?

Just look at what every other team paid for defenders today. Aome not nearly as good as Tanev.

Who cares about 4 years from now? They spread it out so he could get close to fair market value but keep the cap hit reasonable.

The cap will be much bigger by the end of his contract and he will take up less than 4% of it.

That is if he doesn't retire before that.
Who cares about 4 years from now? I mean, a lot of people do, including me. I assume you were saying that about Tavares signing too? Now look, we are and have been for a couple seasons stuck with a guy who makes 11m but skates like he's got an anchor on his back and has no business as a captain.
Trust me, I'd love to have such a narrow-minded illusion to think only today (i.e.: this coming season) matters, but I can't help assessing thing as wholistically as I can, which for me takes entire length of the contract into strong consideration.

You're welcome to disagree of course, a number of posters will, and that's cool, not gonna change my POV though.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Who cares about 4 years from now? I mean, a lot of people do, including me. I assume you were saying that about Tavares signing too? Now look, we are and have been for a couple seasons stuck with a guy who makes 11m but skates like he's got an anchor on his back and has no business as a captain.
Trust me, I'd love to have such a narrow-minded illusion to think only today (i.e.: this coming season) matters, but I can't help assessing thing as wholistically as I can, which for me takes entire length of the contract into strong consideration.

You're welcome to disagree of course, a number of posters will, and that's cool, not gonna change my POV though.
11 million and 4 million are quite a different number. At 4 it is quite reasonable to buy him out. 11 would hurt for awhile.

Tavares was never going to retire before his contract was up, Tanev is a real possibility given how hard he has played the game.

Reactions: Kurtz

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I wish the term was better but I think Tanev will be a really good fit for a few years. I've been a bit of Grinch today but I still think Rielly is a good dman and Tanev should help him excel.

Great shutdown D + bringing out the best In Rielly should be worth it.

Question is, can this team's actually contend while Tanev is still effective? Things don't look great this year.

Reactions: Sypher04

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Every new Leaf player and every new leaf manager/coach always says the right things. Been hearing things like this for decades. I'm not interested anymore in people that say the right things. Just give me results and save the bullshit.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Cap hit is fantastic. Term is obviously terrible. Hope some combo of LTIR, buyout or massive jump in cap renders that moot.

Is the back end of his deal reasonable to buyout in terms of structure?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wish the term was better but I think Tanev will be a really good fit for a few years. I've been a bit of Grinch today but I still think Rielly is a good dman and Tanev should help him excel.

Great shutdown D + bringing out the best In Rielly should be worth it.

Question is, can this team's actually contend while Tanev is still effective? Things don't look great this year.

I’d say the answer is unequivocally yes, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Even as early as this season and if NMCs keep us from making the core change the fanbase is crying for.

People want to act like we are running back the exact same team as last year if we can’t move off a core piece, but at the end of the day, we have never seen this group with defense this good. Tre talked to it in his media availability this evening but we now have shutdown guys, we have strong PKers, we have puck movers, we have a couple D who can shoot the puck well, we have size, we have physicality, we have both left and right shots. We have options and I’m excited to see how that, in conjunction with new coaching and system adjustments can transform how this team plays.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
We got Tanev for 1.5-2 mil less than what he likely gets on a shorter term.

Pesce, who by all accounts is cooked and was easily let go by Carolina, got the same term @ 5.65. Tanev surely gets a higher ticket than Pesce under normal circumstances.

Reactions: bax

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How much money did the Leafs truly save by going 6 years on term?

I would have expected a cap hit of $3.5M - $4M. What was the point of going long on term if that was the AAV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad