Confirmed with Link: Tanev Signs With Leafs | 6 Years $4.5 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I can guarantee you were the same guy excited about signing Clarkson and Tavares to those albatross contracts. Homers never learn and management doesn't either apparently. Just try the same thing every year and hope for different results. It's going to be funny to bump this thread in a few years. Treliving sucks
what options does the present GM have that you think he's passing on ?

oh that's right they should trade Marner who will absolutely waive to the highest bidder and force him to sign an extension so we can maximize the return , i also see no reason why Marner wouldn't be so obliging to what we feel is best for the team

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Good lord. I like Tanev, or what Tanev was in his prime, but what the hell is this term. He's already old and about to fall off soon.
Stupid, stupid short-term thinking, and it didn't even lower the price.

Reactions: calder candidate

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Tanev and OEL. $4M/yr on avg between them. Better than what they got now I guess, but not exactly great signings. Tanev NMC to age 40 is insane.

These signings will probably look bad in a year or two There is no way Tanev later in the contract will look worth it.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I've never disputed Tanev's quality, but UFA isn't the only avenue to find top 4 Dman. Off the top of my head, John Marino was just traded for pennies on the dollar. 4.4m for 3 years, 27 years old.

There is no proof the Leafs could have made a similar deal.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I can guarantee you were the same guy excited about signing Clarkson and Tavares to those albatross contracts.

Nice try, but no.

Homers never learn and management doesn't either apparently. Just try the same thing every year and hope for different results. It's going to be funny to bump this thread in a few years. Treliving sucks

Send Pelley your resume and I'm sure he'll be tripping over himself to hire you based on your vast experience and obvious genius. I look forward to you bringing the Cup home within one season and creating a perpetual dynasty.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He just did this playoffs against top competition. 22.17 and was a stud!
Shit deal for shit player for the role hes going to play. He isnt a #1RD and cant play 23-24 minutes a year against top competition.

Predict we buy this one out after 3 years. This is a horrific committment that wasnt needed
Love the move, he’s exactly what this defence needed. I could care less about years 5 and 6, he wlll retire or we send him to the Island. People are going to LOVE his game and he obviously has a lot left, was fantastic with the Stars.

Reactions: CincoHolio

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
He just did this playoffs against top competition. 22.17 and was a stud!

Love the move, he’s exactly what this defence needed. I could care less about years 5 and 6, he wlll retire or we send him to the Island. People are going to LOVE his game and he obviously has a lot left, was fantastic with the Stars.
A lot left? In what world? He's a 34 year old defenseman with a terrible injury history. You don't need to worry about years 5 and 6, years 2 and 3 could be the problem.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I feel like teams like Anaheim that we helped draft their guy at 23 will do us a solid later on and eat this for us for a 6th rounder or something. They're a decade away from being relevant and probably will need the cap floor help anyways.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A lot left? In what world? He's a 34 year old defenseman with a terrible injury history. You don't need to worry about years 5 and 6, years 2 and 3 could be the problem.
Pay attention, he's been the healthiest of his career the last three seasons and he was stud a month ago in the playoffs. 2 and 3, fine all day long.

Reactions: bax

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Pay attention, he's been the healthiest of his career the last three seasons and he was stud a month ago in the playoffs. 2 and 3, fine all day long.
A lot of his injuries were caused by blocking so many shots. They usually don't have long term effects like muscle or ligament damage does.

He still does block a lot so it'a always a possibility, as he did block a shot with his face in the playoffs this year, but this guy is a legit warrior. It's exactly what the Leafs needed and 4.5 mil is nothing for someone who can play at his level for 20 mins a night agaonst the league'a best.

Crazy the over reaction. I would be fine if he givea the Leafs 3 years of great play. In 4 years the cap will be 100 million. He will make 4.5% and it will be no big deal

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A lot of his injuries were caused by blocking so many shots. They usually don't have long term effects like muscle or ligament damage does.

He still does block a lot so it'a always a possibility, as he did block a shot with his face in the playoffs this year, but this guy is a legit warrior. It's exactly what the Leafs needed and 4.5 mil is nothing for someone who can play at his level for 20 mins a night agaonst the league'a best.

Crazy the over reaction. I would be fine if he givea the Leafs 3 years of great play. In 4 years the cap will be 100 million. He will make 4.5% and it will be no big deal
Amen.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Ignoring the fact that he missed like 15 games last season, are we really going to pretend a player that has had as many serious injuries as him is magically going to be healthier in his mid to late 30s because he had two relatively injury-free seasons?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Ignoring the fact that he missed like 15 games last season, are we really going to pretend a player that has had as many serious injuries as him is magically going to be healthier in his mid to late 30s because he had two relatively injury-free seasons?
I'm ecstatic, best defensive D man this organization has had in I don't how long.

Reactions: William Johnson

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It feels like Treliving had a case of tunnel vision with this signing: Roy and Pesce both signed for $5.5M and 6y and, while there's no guarantee either would sign here, I think I'd prefer either of those deals.

Tre wanted his man from Calgary, though. GMs going back to players they know and like (look at Dubas in Pittsburgh: he just signed Mac Hollowell). The positive is that Tanev is still a very good defenseman. For how long? Well, that will make or break this deal, won't it?

If Tanev can be a top-pairing D for the next couple seasons, be top 4 for another one or two after that, and then is a liability in years five and six, do you take this deal? I think my answer is yes and I suspect the Leafs have made that same calculation. It's a gamble, but it isn't one without upside. If the chemistry works, Rielly's game could also reach a new level when paired with Tanev.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Nice try, but no.

Send Pelley your resume and I'm sure he'll be tripping over himself to hire you based on your vast experience and obvious genius. I look forward to you bringing the Cup home within one season and creating a perpetual dynasty.
All you have is your silly attitude and then you'll turn around and criticize Dubas and not apply the same logic to yourself. Listen buddy, this is a Leafs forum. The whole purpose is to discuss things you have no influence over. If you don't like people doing that find a happier use of your time. Yet you're the one with 12000 posts here over more than a decade. You sound miserable so have a good day.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good player, but why did we have to give him 27m and a NMC to sign here? I hate this contract, the cap circumvention is obvious and the league never hesitates to make an example when we’re involved. Happy to have Tanev, but this contract is going to have real consequences for us down the line.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I like Tanev and was hoping he’d win a cup in Dallas last spring. Thought he would prioritize chasing a cup in the twilight of his career but I guess the term was too enticing.

Oh well, welcome to the Leafs.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's really a question of how good he'll be in the next three to four years.

Defensemen who play his style can fall off a cliff quickly. He's good now and I'm sure he will be an upgrade next year. If he's good for two years and then decent for the next year two and then he sucks and/or retires, who f***ing cares about the last year or two? The cap should be higher and the Leafs may not even be actively trying to contend by that point.

It may end up being a bad deal, but if it does, it won't be because of what happens toward the end of it.

Reactions: Da Mash

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Don't understand the comparisons to Brodie, Tanev is a great skater, Brodie not so much and if you can skate you can stay in the league longer. Saying that I see a major drop off in the last 2 years of this contact ala Giordano. Hopefully we've won a cup or two by then. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: bax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad