Value of: Tanev and Markstrom to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Cap issues, I know I know.

Hypothetically how could the Oilers get both of these guys from their southern rival?

Obviously money would need to be retained on someone? (Tanev?)

Calgary could be entering a rebuild mode and the Oilers are getting ready to roll here....

What kind of picks, prospects and salary dumps get this deal done?

Remember the Oiler's almost had Markstrom so I don't think it would be an issue for him to head up north.

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom
Chris Tanev 50% retained

To Calgary:

2-1st round picks
2 -2nd round picks
Cody Ceci
Jack Campbell
Raphael Lavoie

Does this do it?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Jack Campbell = 2 1st (I say this as a recent article pointed out that’s the current asking price from teams to dump the contract, but that’s also not from a high end source)

So Marky + Tanev @ 50% for 2 2nds, Ceci and Lavoie?

That’s terrible value when they could likely get better as individual trades without taking on Campbell

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This trade would be fair if the Oilers retain on JC because they were stupid enough to sign a contract thinking he was JC.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Assuming Calgary commits to a full rebuild that package is somewhat intriguing and its only because they get 2 1sts and 2 2nds and most importantly 2 players (Campbell and Ceci) that will absolutely help the Flames bottom out this season and next.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Not happening, the cost to move campbell himself would be pretty high. Just buy him out and then see if this trade could work by then.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I actually don't think the Oilers are going to go after a 5M goalie, as they have Skinner playing so well at 2.5ish. I think instead of having a starter-salary goalie, they are more likely to go after another 2-3M guy who can share the load and take over if Skinner falters.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Assuming Calgary commits to a full rebuild that package is somewhat intriguing and its only because they get 2 1sts and 2 2nds and most importantly 2 players (Campbell and Ceci) that will absolutely help the Flames bottom out this season and next.
Ceci is actually a good player. He doesn't produce much offense, but he is absolutely a good defender and would be a good depth addition for the Flames.

Not sure I want Markstrom for the playoffs. He's leaky under high pressure
The good news would be that he doesn't have to worry about falling apart against the Oilers anymore.

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ceci is actually a good player. He doesn't produce much offense, but he is absolutely a good defender and would be a good depth addition for the Flames.

The good news would be that he doesn't have to worry about falling apart against the Oilers anymore.
That's true. It was the Oilers that made Markstrom leaky

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No thanks to Markstrom.

Tanev with retention for 2nd or Broberg could be a good base at the trade deadline

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Cap issues, I know I know.

Hypothetically how could the Oilers get both of these guys from their southern rival?

Obviously money would need to be retained on someone? (Tanev?)

Calgary could be entering a rebuild mode and the Oilers are getting ready to roll here....

What kind of picks, prospects and salary dumps get this deal done?

Remember the Oiler's almost had Markstrom so I don't think it would be an issue for him to head up north.

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom
Chris Tanev 50% retained

To Calgary:

2-1st round picks
2 -2nd round picks
Cody Ceci
Jack Campbell
Raphael Lavoie

Does this do it?
That's not even close. I'd want 2 1sts to take Campbell. I'd want a 2nd to take Ceci. Your offer is basically Lavoie and a 2nd for Markstrom and Tanev at 50%.

No thanks to Markstrom.

Tanev with retention for 2nd or Broberg could be a good base at the trade deadline
I'd want to 2nd round picks or your 1st for Tanev.

Not sure I want Markstrom for the playoffs. He's leaky under high pressure
A .913 in the playoffs is leaky? The Oilers might win a cup with .913 goaltending.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
No. No interest whatsoever in trading anything to the Oilers that might help them win a cup, let alone absolving them of Campbell. They can enjoy the buyout of that one for the next 6 years.

Oh and the cost to dump Campbell's 5M per for the next 3 years is at least 3 first rounders. The extra year on Ceci's contract makes him a non starter.

Reactions: Boomstick

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
That's not even close. I'd want 2 1sts to take Campbell. I'd want a 2nd to take Ceci. Your offer is basically Lavoie and a 2nd for Markstrom and Tanev at 50%.

I'd want to 2nd round picks or your 1st for Tanev.

A .913 in the playoffs is leaky? The Oilers might win a cup with .913 goaltending.
If Ceci is a capdump I think it's safe to say 95% of the league are cap dumps.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If Ceci is a capdump I think it's safe to say 95% of the league are cap dumps.
He might not be. I may be overstating it. He's a bottom pairing 31 year old guy making 3.2 though. That has negative value to the Flames.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
No. Helping them solidify their issues would be worse than catching bubonic plague. Absolutely would stop following the Flames if this went down.

Reactions: Boomstick

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He might not be. I may be overstating it. He's a bottom pairing 31 year old guy making 3.2 though. That has negative value to the Flames.

I'd disagree with this take. He's not a top pairing guy where he gets exposed, but is perfectly comfortable on a second pairing. With only one year left after this year, he'd be very easy to move next year if the Oilers or any other team that gets him chooses to do so.

Not sure if this trade works though. Flames could probably get a 1st for Tanev with retention on his own without taking on Campbell. Comes down to if they want to dump Markstrom that badly.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Honestly I'd be okay with him as the #4 on the second pair. He's played well in his time as an Oiler. Unfortunately he's routinely been tasked with top pairing responsibilities, and he just isn't cut out for it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Honestly I'd be okay with him as the #4 on the second pair. He's played well in his time as an Oiler. Unfortunately he's routinely been tasked with top pairing responsibilities, and he just isn't cut out for it.
Which of Hanifin, Andersson, Weegar, Tanev or Kylington is he better than? He's a #6 for us. He moves up to 4 if we move out both Tanev and Hanifin.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What this trade needs is way more moving parts to make it more convoluted and messy.

Remove the draft picks and throw in Huberdeau with retention in there.

Huberdeau ($7m AAV)
Tanev (50%)
Hanifin (50%)

Campbell
Ceci
Kulak

And if the cap works or not, add or remove Foegele.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Which of Hanifin, Andersson, Weegar, Tanev or Kylington is he better than? He's a #6 for us. He moves up to 4 if we move out both Tanev and Hanifin.
Well the thread proposes that Tanev is dealt, so he wouldn't have to outplay him in Calgary.

I'm not here to argue whether the deal is good or bad or whether the Flames should or should not do it. Just that I don't think it's fair to insinuate Ceci is a capdump or at best a bottom pairing defender. With a decent partner he'd be completely fine as a compliment to the second pair, even if I think he's ideally suited to being on a third pair.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Ya, I'd hope we weren't in the buisness of helping out the Oilers.
And for sure not for crap & late picks.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well the thread proposes that Tanev is dealt, so he wouldn't have to outplay him in Calgary.

I'm not here to argue whether the deal is good or bad or whether the Flames should or should not do it. Just that I don't think it's fair to insinuate Ceci is a capdump or at best a bottom pairing defender. With a decent partner he'd be completely fine as a compliment to the second pair, even if I think he's ideally suited to being on a third pair.
I guess I'm going to a league average blueline when I rate defensemen. Ceci is kind of like Zadorov, very different style, but similar slotting for me. He's ideally a bottom pairing guy. He can play or your second pairing at times. He doesn't bring the thunder that Zadorov brings though. I wouldn't sign him at 3.2m. It's not a horrible contract like Campbell or Huberdeau obviously. It's not even a bad contract like Kadri or Nurse. I do believe we can sign a better defenseman with that money though, so for me it's negative value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad