Proposal: Tampa & Utah: Cernak+Jeannot for Picks

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve seen a lot of Bolts fans online calling for Cernak and Jeannot to be traded for capspace. It seems Tampa lacks flexibility and may want to keep some other players they value more highly.

I noticed Tampa has no picks in the first four rounds of this upcoming draft. Utah has nine (including 3x 2nds and 3x 3rds).

Does a 2nd+3rd in this draft and then another 2nd+3rd in a future draft move the needle? Is that too little or too much?

Example:

To Tampa:
WSH’24 2nd
EDM’24 3rd
OTT’26 2nd
CAR’26 3rd

To Utah:
Cernak
Jeannot

I honestly don’t know if this is a huge overpay or a huge underpay.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I would only trade Cernak if I thought it's something I can't refuse. Some in our boards have lost some faith in him but I still think he's the kind of player we need to win.

Jeannot is yours for a 3rd no take backs

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I would consider Sabres 2024 first (#11) for those two so I would think they would like that over the 2nd and 3rds

Reactions: Jacob582

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Don't think Tampa would want strictly picks for him.

If he were to be on the block, I'd imagine they'd want cheaper players to fill holes the roster

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It seems like taking Jeannot is really doing the Bolts a favor, but the commitment to Jeannot is just one year, and then he's a UFA in July 2025. That's nothing. It doesn't matter if he's a waste of space. On the other hand, Cernak is signed to long term and at a reasonable rate. He's a good player and age 26. That's very good term.

That Tampa defense was shredded without Sergachev and expecting Cernak to do all the heavy lifting in his absence was never realistic. Some TB fans need to back off the criticism. I doubt GMJBB has the same low opinion of him as some of their fans, who have been spoiled by recent success.

I don't think those picks are enough, not without including a first. Understandable if that's too much, but I don't really think this player is on the trade market, nor do I think the Lightning are contemplating a wholesale rebuild. I think they let Stamkos walk and they retool.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That’s what I get for taking Bolt fan chatter on Twitter seriously. Should’ve checked with the Tampa sub forum here first.
Is Soderstrom still a decent prospect or is he trending towards bust? Maybe he could be involved if they'd need a RD

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
There's no way we trade Cernak unless JBB has another RHD lined up in a separate deal.
Only way we are moving Cernak is if we acquire a better RHD with some other player asset or draft picks we don't have. Ideally need to move out Sheary , Perbix, and possibly Jeannot. JBB should offer Jeannot a league minimum or near minimum extension to lower his cap hit. He is okay for a 1 to 1.5 million but he got a raise for 2.665 per year against the cap he didnt earn by his play in TBL. We dislike him because we paid a lot of picks and gave him a raise for average at best 4th liner that was out produced and outplayed by a a league minimum Watson.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Only way we are moving Cernak is if we acquire a better RHD with some other player asset or draft picks we don't have. Ideally need to move out Sheary , Perbix, and possibly Jeannot. JBB should offer Jeannot a league minimum or near minimum extension to lower his cap hit. He is okay for a 1 to 1.5 million but he got a raise for 2.665 per year against the cap he didnt earn by his play in TBL. We dislike him because we paid a lot of picks and gave him a raise for average at best 4th liner that was out produced and outplayed by a a league minimum Watson.
Doesn't Perbix only make like 1.25? I thought he was a solid bottom pairing guy

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Doesn't Perbix only make like 1.25? I thought he was a solid bottom pairing guy
He took a major step back this year. It could be he was partnered with fleury,Dehann, and Dumba a lot. He looked lost a lot more. I am just saying he would be ideal to try to trade in a package. He could be useful to the right team. Dumba and him togther were a complete trainwreck. Reason why I said package him with Sheary to try to get out of a bad contract and give someone a potential bargain contract.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He took a major step back this year. It could be he was partnered with fleury,Dehann, and Dumba a lot. He looked lost a lot more. I am just saying he would be ideal to try to trade in a package. He could be useful to the right team. Dumba and him togther were a complete trainwreck. Reason why I said package him with Sheary to try to get out of a bad contract and give someone a potential bargain contract.
Fair. I guess you don't really want either of he or Raddysh in the top 4 so could make sense to trade him and try and get someone better

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Fair. I guess you don't really want either of he or Raddysh in the top 4 so could make sense to trade him and try and get someone better
Raddysh can move the puck out the break out much better, passes better, but is below average defensively.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I’ve seen a lot of Bolts fans online calling for Cernak and Jeannot to be traded for capspace. It seems Tampa lacks flexibility and may want to keep some other players they value more highly.

I noticed Tampa has no picks in the first four rounds of this upcoming draft. Utah has nine (including 3x 2nds and 3x 3rds).

Does a 2nd+3rd in this draft and then another 2nd+3rd in a future draft move the needle? Is that too little or too much?

Example:

To Tampa:
WSH’24 2nd
EDM’24 3rd
OTT’26 2nd
CAR’26 3rd

To Utah:
Cernak
Jeannot

I honestly don’t know if this is a huge overpay or a huge underpay.
I don't think you're out of line with this thinking, but if a top 4 D and Jeannot are leaving its likely they'll want at least one warm body back to eat minutes, especially after the ending of this season. I also just don't think they can get past getting rid of Cernak over Cirelli first as they're already thin on the blueline, but can likely sort out some way of a player or players replacing Cirelli.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It seems like taking Jeannot is really doing the Bolts a favor, but the commitment to Jeannot is just one year, and then he's a UFA in July 2025. That's nothing. It doesn't matter if he's a waste of space. On the other hand, Cernak is signed to long term and at a reasonable rate. He's a good player and age 26. That's very good term.

That Tampa defense was shredded without Sergachev and expecting Cernak to do all the heavy lifting in his absence was never realistic. Some TB fans need to back off the criticism. I doubt GMJBB has the same low opinion of him as some of their fans, who have been spoiled by recent success.

I don't think those picks are enough, not without including a first. Understandable if that's too much, but I don't really think this player is on the trade market, nor do I think the Lightning are contemplating a wholesale rebuild. I think they let Stamkos walk and they retool.
Jeannot can take a shift and all but he only has one more year. I don't think any of us thought Cernak would be doing the heavy lifting so to speak because he is a very specific style of defender and if you're expecting him to be a big skater or breakout guy, yeah, you'll be very upset with him. Thats not his game. If you don't have someone with wheels with him (Hedman, Raddysh, Fleury) he will look slow, lumbering and ineffective. His "ineffectiveness" was more a byproduct of having someone who can't move the puck for him (and also why i've brought him up a few times in Buffalo proposals). What really hurt was the Sergachev injury, but what secretly hurt and upset the balance of a thin blueline was the loss of Haydn Fleury. Behind that was Calvin de Haan, and 3 rookies. Its for that same reason I just don't see them moving Cernak unless they're blown away with some kind of offer.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think a lot of teams would be interested in this deal. Cernak would help a lot of teams improve a great deal, and while Jeannot isn't very good, his buyout penalty is low, or a team could bury him next year and only have 1M sitting in the minors for him if he really doesn't fit. Plus teams might want to just give him a chance, as he played well in Nashville, so if it's just an issue with the fit, he might be an okay bottom six player again in the right situation. As an Edmonton fan, I'd make a big offer for Cernak as I feel he would really round out our defense core - and I would take Jeannot back as part of the deal as well, so I imagine others would too. The issue would be sorting out the cap space with adding 6.3M.

To Tampa - Edmonton's 1st round pick in 2025, 2nd in 2026, 3rd in 2026

To Edmonton - Cernak and Jeannot

Finding cap space via Campbell's buyout, trading Ceci and ???.

Overall, I think if Utah wants to make this deal more likely to happen from their end of things, they might need to include their 1st round pick this year, or offer a young roster player or nearly ready prospect that could fit in to Tampa's future plans as a depth player for the long haul.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Jeannot can take a shift and all but he only has one more year. I don't think any of us thought Cernak would be doing the heavy lifting so to speak because he is a very specific style of defender and if you're expecting him to be a big skater or breakout guy, yeah, you'll be very upset with him. Thats not his game. If you don't have someone with wheels with him (Hedman, Raddysh, Fleury) he will look slow, lumbering and ineffective. His "ineffectiveness" was more a byproduct of having someone who can't move the puck for him (and also why i've brought him up a few times in Buffalo proposals). What really hurt was the Sergachev injury, but what secretly hurt and upset the balance of a thin blueline was the loss of Haydn Fleury. Behind that was Calvin de Haan, and 3 rookies. Its for that same reason I just don't see them moving Cernak unless they're blown away with some kind of offer.
If Cernak is available, he would be the perfect partner for Edmonton's second pair with Nurse.

Reactions: IIxGURUxII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad