Proposal: Tampa Bay and Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm curious what Tampa Fans would think of a trade between our two teams. The idea for this trade is to help both teams out a bit this year and the future. I was thinking:

:canes Valtteri Filppula, Brent Howden

:bolts Jay McClement

We take $5M off your books this year and next year so you can sign your young guys and protect more at the expansion draft, we get an upgrade at our 4th line center and a very good prospect for the salary dump and NMC relief for you. Filppula might even waive the NMC as we will have two other Fins on the team.

Bolts fans, think it has any merit? What about Canes fans?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes already have a ton of 30 point middle-6ers. This would just be doing TB a huge favor without upgrading the team in any significant way.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Canes already have a ton of 30 point middle-6ers. This would just be doing TB a huge favor without upgrading the team in any significant way.

We'd be improving our fourth line, obviously at cost, and getting a pretty good C prospect in Howden. Cheaper than your attempts to get Connor by trading Faulk and Roy for Trouba and Connor. It is not perfect, sure, but we can easily handle the cap hit for two years and get a decent player out of it as well.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
We'd be improving our fourth line, obviously at cost, and getting a pretty good C prospect in Howden. Cheaper than your attempts to get Connor by trading Faulk and Roy for Trouba and Connor. It is not perfect, sure, but we can easily handle the cap hit for two years and get a decent player out of it as well.

I was thinking of Quinton Howden (of Panthers) at first who is entering bust territory. Don't know much about Brent Howden, that makes the deal more palatable as it essentially a late 1st for taking Filppula.

Not that it pertains to this trade, but a deal where the Canes downgrade a bit on defense for a huge offensive piece is a trade I'd be happy to make given their current depth. Taking advantage of situations like the Trouba one is what separates great GMs from the pack.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is probably the type of deal Yzerman will have to look at making in order to afford all his young stars.

The Canes can eat the cap hit for now and at least do improve on-ice.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd probably do it for the Canes pretty easily. Howden is a very solid prospect, we have plenty of cap space, and there's a chance the Filppula could get back in that 40 point range for us. If not, not a huge deal. Just a matter of what Karmanos will allow budget wise, though he did mention in an interview that Ronnie had been authorized to spend more and just didn't find any deals he liked.

I'm sure Tampa wouldn't love giving up a pretty good prospect, but it would give them some room to work with.

Seems somewhat reasonable on both sides.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Seems like a good deal for both sides. Canes can afford the cap hit (and I'll assume actual dollars) while Tampa gets the much needed cap relief for a fairly redundant albeit fairly valuable prospect.

P.S. Nice to see you still rocking the Sharks avatar. :)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm curious what Tampa Fans would think of a trade between our two teams. The idea for this trade is to help both teams out a bit this year and the future. I was thinking:

:canes Valtteri Filppula, Brent Howden

:bolts Jay McClement

We take $5M off your books this year and next year so you can sign your young guys and protect more at the expansion draft, we get an upgrade at our 4th line center and a very good prospect for the salary dump and NMC relief for you. Filppula might even waive the NMC as we will have two other Fins on the team.

Bolts fans, think it has any merit? What about Canes fans?

a yes from me

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would Tampa do this? We are probably just a few hundred know off of what we need to sign Kucherov not 5mil. We can do a smaller trade or move, Condra traded or waived. We can use Filppula this year for another cup run and try to trade him after the expansion draft when his value will be back to normal. This isn't the offseason we need to sell assets for cheap or pay to give them away.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Reasonable proposals, I see 2 concerns from the Canes standpoint.

1) Cap space is irrelevant to the Canes, but real salary matters so they'd be taking on $3.8 more salary this year and $5M next year.
2) With a NMC, Filppula would have to be protected in the expansion draft meaning the Canes would have to expose someone like Di Guiseppe or Nestrasil. Not the end of the world. Canes would likely protect: Staal, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm, Teravainen, and 2 of Nestrasil, Di Guissepe, Stempniak and Nordstrom. Adding Filppula means they'd expose 3 of those guys.

Still, even with that it makes some sense. Next year, Bickell comes off the books and the Canes have very few key guys to sign, only RFAs: Nestrasil, Teravainen and Di Guiseppe and right now are ~$40.8M with top 7 Forwards (Skinner, Staal, Rask, Lindholm, Aho, Stempniak, Nordstrom), 5 D (Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Murphy), and 2G signed. RFAs Teravainen, PDG and Nestrasil aren't going to get huge paydays. Even if Murphy gets nabbed in the expansion draft, it's likely that McKeown, Fleury and Carrick are ready for the team next year, all on ELCs.

They may have to to spend some money just to get to the floor.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Seems like a good deal for both sides. Canes can afford the cap hit (and I'll assume actual dollars) while Tampa gets the much needed cap relief for a fairly redundant albeit fairly valuable prospect.

P.S. Nice to see you still rocking the Sharks avatar. :)

Still sporting this guy above the TV as well....:cry:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not sure why my fellow Lightning fans see incentive here. We can afford Filppula for another two seasons with Bishop leaving after this year. Now if you want to take Callahan, that another story.

As for expansion draft protection, we will basically lose at least one valuable guy no matter what, we simply have too many guys to protect. It'll be Killorn, Namestnikov, or Garrison. Getting rid of Filppula lets us protect one guy, but there isn't a huge talent difference there and we actually save money by losing them so it works out.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not sure why my fellow Lightning fans see incentive here. We can afford Filppula for another two seasons with Bishop leaving after this year. Now if you want to take Callahan, that another story.

As for expansion draft protection, we will basically lose at least one valuable guy no matter what, we simply have too many guys to protect. It'll be Killorn, Namestnikov, or Garrison. Getting rid of Filppula lets us protect one guy, but there isn't a huge talent difference there and we actually save money by losing them so it works out.

So we can put him on the third line, give him PP time, and force Namestnikov on the wing/4th line?

Sorry - he's been passed over. 5 million in cap space will go a long way to relieving stress this year and... more importantly, next year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So we can put him on the third line, give him PP time, and force Namestnikov on the wing/4th line?

Sorry - he's been passed over. 5 million in cap space will go a long way to relieving stress this year and... more importantly, next year.

Filpulla is a low end 2C elite 3C, not sure why we wouldn't want him there. He is a great passer we just don't have shooters outside of Stamkos and Kucherov who are on the 1st unit so Filppula has no one to set up on the 2nd. Namestnikov will be on the 3rd line with him, most likely on wing but Vladdy will get time at center will skilled players, there's going to be injury and lineup shuffling.

5mil in cap space is great but we don't have too much stress this year. We are 1mil off which is easier to move than 5mil. Next year he needs to be moved but after the expansion draft his value as a veteran 1 year left on his contract player will be much better.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

How do you figure that we need the cap space? You are advocating that we deal a contributor and a first round pick for cap space which we aren't going to use. I'll be nice and say that is less than smart.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
How do you figure that we need the cap space? You are advocating that we deal a contributor and a first round pick for cap space which we aren't going to use. I'll be nice and say that is less than smart.

First - whether he's a contributor in a positive fashion is certainly up for debate.

Second - We use it on extending Palat, Johnson, and Drouin. Identify the core and get rid of the excess. Flip is replaceable from within easily, and it allows us flexibility to make a deadline move to fill in a gap going into the playoffs while not having to stress about whether we're going to keep the actual good players on the team around.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yeah, regardless of what we do this summer Filppula has to be gone by next summer or between his protection spot and his salary he could potentially cost us two quality players. I'd rather give up a pick and/or a different prospect to move him but I can't say I wouldn't consider this deal if there was no better option available.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
First - whether he's a contributor in a positive fashion is certainly up for debate.

Second - We use it on extending Palat, Johnson, and Drouin. Identify the core and get rid of the excess. Flip is replaceable from within easily, and it allows us flexibility to make a deadline move to fill in a gap going into the playoffs while not having to stress about whether we're going to keep the actual good players on the team around.

He is a contributor in a positive fashion, that shouldn't even be debatable. Come on now.

We will have more than enough cap space to sign Palat, Johnson, and Drouin. Bishop comes off the books, and we likely lose Killorn in the expansion draft. That is close to 10 million, do you expect those three that you mentioned to get over 3 million raises each?

After that, Filppula is gone, and we didn't have to waste a first round pick or downgrade our current roster to do it. It isn't ideal, but neither is throwing away assets to jettison pieces every time they depreciate in value.

Yeah, regardless of what we do this summer Filppula has to be gone by next summer or between his protection spot and his salary he could potentially cost us two quality players. I'd rather give up a pick and/or a different prospect to move him but I can't say I wouldn't consider this deal if there was no better option available.

We can only lose one player in the expansion draft, which will be one of Killorn or Garrison regardless of whether we deal Filppula or not. So unless you think 10 million in additional cap space isn't enough, the team should easily be able to cope with a second season of Valteri on the third line.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
We can only lose one player in the expansion draft, which will be one of Killorn or Garrison regardless of whether we deal Filppula or not. So unless you think 10 million in additional cap space isn't enough, the team should easily be able to cope with a second season of Valteri on the third line.

I've run the numbers several times on the Lightning board and am not going to take the time to do so again here; that said we simply cannot afford Filppula in 2017. We're realistically looking at letting Bishop walk, buying out Filppula, and trading and/or letting the expansion team take Garrison and one of our top six forwards in order to keep everybody else. And that's just concerning salary - if we don't get rid of Filppula by the expansion draft we risk losing somebody like Namestnikov to expansion AND still having to move another forward for cap reasons.

If we buy out Filppula before the draft at least we can protect all the valuable forwards we plan to keep and can either leave one exposed or trade him and leave slimmer pickings for Vegas (for example say Killorn is the odd man out: with Filppula bought out we protect Stamkos, Callahan, the Triplets, Drouin, and Namestnikov and either let Vegas take Killorn or trade him and make our best exposed forward somebody like JT Brown.) If we keep Filppula then we're exposing both Namestnikov and Killorn; we'd want Vegas to take Killer since we'd have to move him for cap reasons anyway but if they take Vladdy instead we're screwed. And on the other hand if we can somehow trade Filppula without retaining then buying out Callahan becomes a realistic option and we might even have an outside chance of keeping our entire top six intact (it'd be close but at least theoretically possible.)

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Your understanding of the cap situation is way off. Hedman's raise (3.8m) goes on the books as does Vasi's 2.5m. That's 6.3m of the 10m before we start talking extensions. Another year of a basically flat cap and we are in trouble.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

How exactly can we afford Fil next year without losing anyone else? There's no way you can keep that 5m cap without losing another top-6 forward, this is already including Bishop's departure.......

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
seems to me like yous think yous are gonna get kucherov signed for about five million. is that really gonna be a reality. didnt almost every tampa fan say he was your best player the past two seasons ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad