Appreciate Dale Tallon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I'd put Keeper in the 2nd tier, think he will surprise a lot of people, not sure if where you put him was meant to be lower than that tier or not. Also think Eetu will develop into a decent 2 way player.

I picked Matheson going the other way because OEL is owed a shit load of cash, $54 million (his $4 mil signing bonus was already paid for the 20-21 season).
Matheson is owed $32 million so that saves ARI roughly $22 million. Would Viola be open to spending that much money on OEL as well?

You factor in the 12th overall pick, how many teams offer up that good of a pick while taking on over $50 mil in salary and a $8.25 mil caphit?

If it comes down to a 2nd and a prospect to push it over the finish line then let's do it. Itd be a tough call on those tier 2 guys, Id hate to lose Ludvig of the 4, he just seems like a surefire mean mofo and feel he has top 4 potential. I've softened my love for Noel if we somehow got Crouse back, very worried Noel or any guys that are 6'5 or taller usually develop back issues because they're typically leaning/hunched over when they skate. Crouse has been relatively healthy at 6'4.

I think ARI would want a D prospect though as they're fairly lean on them after trading some away recently.
Ultimately I think Gildon would be my guy to move even though I like his player makeup a fair bit.

With Keeper and Eetu I meant they are guys that are borderline ready to turn pro and not really considered prospects anymore. I like both as depth guys that should help in the future. Really like Keeper's attitude.

Getting Math saves them money but I'm not sure which way the new owners want to go, especially with the draft picks gone. They either go into preservation mode for a few years so saving money makes sense, or try to support the team they have now to offset the loss if draft picks. I dunno... But if they're trying to save money, they could probably offload OEL in other ways that bring back a contract with less term.

If it was up to me I'd part with Noel. I agree on the injury concerns, even though it looks like he eventually recovered, and I really like Ludvig and Gildon. Feel like developing dmen more important than forwards which are less of a crapshoot in the draft.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Burke interviewing makes me think maybe Mellanby is the lead candidate and him and Burke are a package deal? I don't know. Doesn't make sense to interview Burke as a GM though. Not sure what Mellanby has done to warrant the consideration though, is he highly regarded for anything? can't seem to find many articles on him as a scout/AGM.

Bill Armstrong would be my first choice followed by Futa, both seem really well regarded in hockey and by the fans.

Ferguson Jr. sucked in Toronto, but he's been with the Bruins now and people learn/develop. He was a very young, inexperienced GM in Toronto, I actually wouldn't mind that hire. Also, I've read ownership meddled with him forcing some bad win now kind of trades. Was very well thought of obviously before being hired, as you don't get to be a 36-year-old first time GM with the Leafs if you're not.

Drury? Meh. Seems thought of high enough but it's not like the Rangers have had much success with him.

1. Armstrong
2. Futa
3. Ferguson
4. Joyce
5. Drury
6. Mellanby

ediit: Forgot Gilman, wouldn't mind him either. His strength seems to be with maneuvering the salary cap, something Panthers could obviously use.

I do wonder sometimes when we read articles from the hockey press about up and coming executives... How much is it about the journalist cozying up to the potential new executives in the making?

Write a nice fluff article about how great they could be, maybe get some inside sources later down the road. Doesn't cost the writer anything, fills space on a slow news day, and could have a big payoff later. I'm guessing happens all the time.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I do wonder sometimes when we read articles from the hockey press about up and coming executives... How much is it about the journalist cozying up to the potential new executives in the making?

Write a nice fluff article about how great they could be, maybe get some inside sources later down the road. Doesn't cost the writer anything, fills space on a slow news day, and could have a big payoff later. I'm guessing happens all the time.

Yeah, Mellanby, Drury, Gilman are all qualified. Gilman has come up in other teams' gm searches before. Mellanby has been in management and player personnel roles for a decade. He's been asst gm for a couple years and ran Montreal's ahl team which has been better than Springfield. All these guys should be qualified. Still not sure about Weekes. Bill Armstrong is my first choice, but I really don't see what separates him that much from the rest. If these guys sucked at their jobs, they wouldn't have been kept around for so long and kept being given promotions.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I read an rumour from 23th of August, where is mention that the whole Team Situation, bad Contracts and maybe a limited Budget problems, are onyl a few Issues why the searching and talking takes so long.
Sorry the new GM no matter who will it be, must do wonders in different perspective of Hockey, to get this team going and limit or clean up the whole Issue in Florida.

Even it read a bit like the usual anti Florida Rumors and News, it have definetly something true in it.

Reactions: MPGA

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I read an rumour from 23th of August, where is mention that the whole Team Situation, bad Contracts and maybe a limited Budget problems, are onyl a few Issues why the searching and talking takes so long.
Sorry the new GM no matter who will it be, must do wonders in different perspective of Hockey, to get this team going and limit or clean up the whole Issue in Florida.

Even it read a bit like the usual anti Florida Rumors and News, it have definetly something true in it.

Eh, our situation is not that bad. We have some good players who are still in their primes, and a good prospect pool. Imagine being the guy interviewing GMs for Arizona. No picks, no prospects, no cap space....yowzers.

Reactions: harv33173

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Eh, our situation is not that bad. We have some good players who are still in their primes, and a good prospect pool. Imagine being the guy interviewing GMs for Arizona. No picks, no prospects, no cap space....yowzers.

You have a 10 Million Contract Goalie, if he doesnt settle and find his Game your future Contracts and Cap Situation is pretty worse. You have no D and unsure how to settle.
You have current no AHL Team, beside no one is knowing when this League will return, means all your young Players current get no practice.
You have a lack of Energy and seriousness in the Team,what was clearly shown in the PO. You have to deal with 2 Pending UFA both are under the best 5 Scorer and you have no Cap to throw around big contracts.

And you call this Situation not bad.

We still have no Home athmosphere or lets call it they still dont find a way to attract People to visit and come to some Games.
That Point was also pictured out from Barkov, even it was a joke it show the awareness.

lets say we move out Yandle to give the team a different Culture and pass then on Dadonov and Hoffmann about no Room to throw Money around. Both have some good Season behind them so they can go show you for what you pay.
Include Yandle you would loose 3 of 5 Top Scorer from Florida. The only Point Florida came so far, we scored 228 Goals that is 6th in the League.

What now, will you give away all the Goals you need and get a better D core so you get less Goals and hope your Goalie has a come back. 10, 8 Million is no contract you can pass around the League that easy, if he doesnt.

And we have 300K Capspace, even with passing on haule and Pysyk you only open up 4 Million and you have 6 RFA to re-sign. one of them is Weegar.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You have a 10 Million Contract Goalie, if he doesnt settle and find his Game your future Contracts and Cap Situation is pretty worse. You have no D and unsure how to settle.
You have current no AHL Team, beside no one is knowing when this League will return, means all your young Players current get no practice.
You have a lack of Energy and seriousness in the Team,what was clearly shown in the PO. You have to deal with 2 Pending UFA both are under the best 5 Scorer and you have no Cap to throw around big contracts.

We still have no Home athmosphere or lets call it they still dont find a way to attract People to visit and come to some Games.
That Point was also pictured out from Barkov, even it was a joke it show the awareness.

lets say we move out Yandle to give the team a different Culture and pass then on Dadonov and Hoffmann about no Room to throw Money around. Both have some good Season behind them so they can go show you for what you pay.
Include Yandle you would loose 3 of 5 Top Scorer from Florida. The only Point Florida came so far, we scored 228 Goals that is 6th in the League.

What now, will you give away all the Goals you need and get a better D core so you get less Goals and hope your Goalie has a come back. 10, 8 Million is no contract you can pass around the League that easy, if he doesnt.

And we have 300K Capspace, even with passing on haule and Pysyk you only open up 4 Million and you have 6 RFA to re-sign. one of them is Weegar.

We have $20 million in cap space to sign RFAs like Weegar, Wallmark, Borgstrom etc.
That's assuming both Hoffman and Dadonov don't come back.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Bob already showed in the playoffs that he can still play at a high level. I'm not worried about him. Goalies are funny and he seems one of the funniest of them, but eventually he'll get back to a high level. He's a 2 time Vezina winner. If he was 38 I'd be worried about him not finding his form again, but he's 31. Yes his contract is gigantic, but it's still something we can work around. Yandle's contract is very moveable provided you find a team that he would play for. He still scores a lot of points and in the right situation could be ok. Stralman's contract is done in 2 years. Overall it's not that bad in that aspect. Matheson is the only one we might be stuck with for awhile, but in a couple years you may be able to unload him.

The defense is bad but we have good prospects in Stillman, Ludvig, Koly, Gildon. Keeper could be decent as a #6. We could pick a defenseman with our 1st rounder this year. Anyway the new gm can address this as he sees fit, but the point is he has some pieces to work with. Did I say this team is perfect? No. But I wouldn't say it's an unattractive job for potential GMs. I would say the opposite. Barkov and Huberdeau are big names that will always get hockey management people excited. Giving away Yandle and trying to balance out the team to be more defensive oriented is basically a must, it was proved once again in the playoffs that we can score, especially in the power play, but we give up goals too easily. Balancing the team would only be a good thing.

As far as the ahl goes, every nhl team is in the same boat right now anyway with their prospects not being able to play in the ahl. Panthers' prospects aren't suffering anymore than other teams'. We have found a place to play for a few of our prospects already.

As Impatient pointed out, the Panthers have roughly 20M in cap space. They have plenty of room to maneuver and make whatever moves they have to. More than most teams. I'm sure a lot of teams would kill to have that flexibility actually. They do have some holes and some UFA's to sign, but you can say that about any team. Any decent gm would have plenty of flexibility to do what he wants this summer.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
But I wouldn't say it's an unattractive job for potential GMs. I would say the opposite.

The Cats have the necessary pieces to modify the lineup so that they can win now and win big. They just need an honest assessment of the situation and act accordingly instead of coming up with non-existent problems. For an instance, I could see the next Hoffman contract being an issue here, that he's getting paid too much for being a one-trick pony. Ovechkin has been operating the same way his entire career and regardless he's still gonna pot 50 goals per season even though everyone knows how those are scored.

I'd reckon that the most difficult part of this entire situation is keeping track of what needs to achieved and sticking to the plan. Tallon was working against himself half of time. Like when he shipped out Smith and March via expansion draft, then couple of months later from the start of the season he goes out in front the media to complain that scoring is difficult, "one of the toughest tasks in hockey" or sumptin' like that. Scoring hasn't been an issue here for the past couple of seasons and that fact shouldn't change much considering when there's more goal scoring talent coming in. If it works, don't touch it.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
We have $20 million in cap space to sign RFAs like Weegar, Wallmark, Borgstrom etc.
That's assuming both Hoffman and Dadonov don't come back.

From where did you get 20 Million Cap space which bigger contract falls off? our current cap space is 80,6 Million. Or did you have different Numbers then me. Or do you already prognostic every UFA will pass on, what means loosing 2 of 5 Topscorer. otherwise i dont come on 20 Million cap space. But if that is true, the rumour about limited Budget for Panthers is true.

Okay then i get you both already counted all current UFA´s out and added it to the Cap Space.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
From where did you get 20 Million Cap space which bigger contract falls off? our current cap space is 80,6 Million. Or did you have different Numbers then me. Or do you already prognostic every UFA will pass on, what means loosing 2 of 5 Topscorer. otherwise i dont come on 20 Million cap space. But if that is true, the rumour about limited Budget for Panthers is true.

Okay then i get you both already counted all current UFA´s out and added it to the Cap Space.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Looking at Cap Friendly, the cap space shown is nearly 21 M, without UFA or RFA signings or qualifying offers.

With the assumption that all RFA ‘s are qualified, that totals slightly over 5M, not considering a raise for Weegar from his 1.6M from last year.

If Weegar comes in for 2.5M, which probably is low and will be more like 3M+, the net available cap $ remaining will be around 15M.

Not considering any of the UFA’s, that leaves 4 forward spots and 1 defensive spot to fill, with Tippett, Borg (who knows with him??), and any of the other kids deemed ready for the show. Assuming ELC’s for all, that would be about 3.5-4M.

The 21M disappears very quickly, before any consideration of a possible internal cap to cut costs imposed by Viola is brought to the table.

Seems To me inevitable that one of big 3 will need to be moved, to create some additional space for flexibility, as well as to be able to consider bringing back either Dadonov of Hoffman on a new deal.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'm hopefully one team out there sees value in Yandle, with hopefully a straight swap of players or lite retention on his deal.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I'm hopefully one team out there sees value in Yandle, with hopefully a straight swap of players or lite retention on his deal.

Same. There's got to be some moron GM out there that sees he was top-15 in scoring for defensemen while being 0 +/- and think he can solve their powerplay problems and provide veteran leadership...

Reactions: ShootIt

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
First of all, we live in a cancel culture, so let's wait until this is confirmed. Secondly, it was only discovered after they fired him (exclusively performance related) so I am not expecting the Panthers to comment, they don't need to, it's a closed matter.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
"including a recent exchange that took place during Tallon's final few weeks as GM of the team."

Makes you wonder how much the players knew.

Maybe they played like shit to get Dale canned lol. Matheson is secretly a hero. :laugh::sarcasm:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
"including a recent exchange that took place during Tallon's final few weeks as GM of the team."

Makes you wonder how much the players knew.

Maybe they played like shit to get Dale canned lol. Matheson is secretly a hero. :laugh::sarcasm:

Damn they been playing like shit for 10 years because of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad