Talking The Avs Ep 19 - Roy out, Bednar in

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We're finally back! Robin, Jackie and Evan discuss the coaching changes and the contracts signed in Barrie, Grigorenko and Smith. And the PTO's. Obviously most of the time went to Roy and Bednar.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
This was the first one I was able to listen to and I enjoyed it. From a technical side, Evan's track was quite a bit quieter than the other two but otherwise it sounded good overall. From a content side, I agree with much of what was said and it was good to hear the different perspectives on some of these things.

One thing I wonder about was, since Sakic benefited from hearing different ideas about what was wrong with the way the Avs played over the last two years and how to fix it, does he share that information verbally or by video/audio of what the other prospect coaches had to say? I think that could be very beneficial to Bednar. Or maybe Sakic just lets Bednar do his own thing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks! I bet that's more of a for Sakic and I'm sure other members of the FO to keep in mind. Wouldn't really be fair to tell Bednar what they said but maybe when they kick ideas around down the road something could come up in a more non specific manner. More just for Sakic to get a few different perspectives, I'm sure.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Listened to all of it this morning. Always enjoyable. Would have liked to hear about some roster projections for the rookie tournament team though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think the front office interferes in how the team plays a lot. They hire a coach that plays the way they prefer and let him do his thing.

It's possible there is a dialogue around players types and what fits the system and so on.

When Sakic says that they don't want their defense to play as passive as last year, I assume it's because he knows that is Bednar's style.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think the front office interferes in how the team plays a lot. They hire a coach that plays the way they prefer and let him do his thing.

It's possible there is a dialogue around players types and what fits the system and so on.

When Sakic says that they don't want their defense to play as passive as last year, I assume it's because he knows that is Bednar's style.
I don't know. They hired another defensive coach well before bringing in Bednar so I think it's a problem he could see.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Not necessarily any direct quote, but there quite a few (from Chamber's interviews) around the time from preseason to regular season, in which Soderberg really openly criticized the game plan/system.

Oh ok yeah I remembered some of those interviews, was just wondering if he had given an interview lately about Roy and last season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good podcast. I think Wiercioch was due to Roy. He probably wanted to add two veteran defensemen this offseason so he wouldn't have to rely on Gelinas/Zadorov/Bigras. I think Roy being gone decreases his chances of playing a major role. I bet Bednar gives the younger guys more of a chance to make it. There are no longer any favorites.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Good podcast. I think Wiercioch was due to Roy. He probably wanted to add two veteran defensemen this offseason so he wouldn't have to rely on Gelinas/Zadorov/Bigras. I think Roy being gone decreases his chances of playing a major role. I bet Bednar gives the younger guys more of a chance to make it. There are no longer any favorites.
Really? Wiercioch isn't a Roy type player by any means. He's a big softie. I don't think Roy would like him at all.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Based on his quotes, I absolutely believe that Soderberg was one of the players who did not like Roy IMO.

Haha. Yeah. I don't think we were even a month into a season before he made some comment about them just doing the same thing every game and not really playing well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Haha. Yeah. I don't think we were even a month into a season before he made some comment about them just doing the same thing every game and not really playing well.

Well when you go from the way Boston was playing to what we were doing. Lol, yeah he probably wasn't impressed.

The SEL is known as a pretty structured defensive league as well right?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Really? Wiercioch isn't a Roy type player by any means. He's a big softie. I don't think Roy would like him at all.

I don't think Roy picked him personally. I think Roy probably just wanted vets, and Wiercioch/Tyutin is what he got. Roy seems to play favorites with the vets, so if it was close, I'd expect Wiercioch to win. I expect Bednar to be 100% BPA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy wanted a big trade, I don't think he wanted to go out on July 1 and overpay for mediocre either. Bednar might be more open minded to the AHL and was probably told the plan was to play and develop certain kids but he's going to fall in love with certain vets too.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't think Roy picked him personally. I think Roy probably just wanted vets, and Wiercioch/Tyutin is what he got. Roy seems to play favorites with the vets, so if it was close, I'd expect Wiercioch to win. I expect Bednar to be 100% BPA.

Wiercioch isn't a vet though.

And every coach has their so called favorites.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wiercioch isn't a vet though.

And every coach has their so called favorites.

He's 25 and played 200+ NHL games. He a somewhat younger guy but he isn't new to the league.

And they do, but as a guy coming from the AHL, I expect Bednar will be much more willing to deal with Rookie mistakes. Roy didn't put up with much at all. When Zadorov and Rantanen didn't play like NHL regulars from the get go, they were gone, replaced with vets with half the skill.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Roy wanted a big trade, I don't think he wanted to go out on July 1 and overpay for mediocre either. Bednar might be more open minded to the AHL and was probably told the plan was to play and develop certain kids but he's going to fall in love with certain vets too.

Core player trade was probably the only way to make room for Radulov. Speculation of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad