Speculation: Taking less to win a cup

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am sure there are some minor deals here and there, but there are a couple I remember vividly about guys taking less to try to win a cup.

Selanne at $5.8M and Kariya at $1.2M in Colorado.
Richards at $2M in Chicago.

What are some of the best examples of players signing really cheap to try to win a cup? (Not that I think they should, but how many times has it been a HUGE discount?)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Player can do that if they wish. But, how much do you trust the GM to not blow that cap savings on someone who doesn't deserve it.

$12.5 mill for McDavid has been a bargain, but then Nurse gets $9.25 mill. Basically the same as paying McDavid $15 mill (max he could have gotten at the time) and Nurse $6.75 mill.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Giordano + Spezza could've gotten a good amount more than they did with the Leafs.

Obviously it didn't work out, but those were great value when signed and were definitely signed so that they could have a chance at a cup and to play in their hometown.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He said win a cup, not ensure he was out on the golf courses nice and early

1722373065222.png

Right....

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Labanc signed a 1 year x 1 M contract with the Sharks after having a 56 pts season. The sharks had just went to the cup finals, so he thought it could help the sharks win by taking less. The sharks ended up finishing bottom 3.
That isn't a good example. Labanc signed that with the promise that he'd get more the following year because the Sharks had no room. I get your point, but I don't think that truly applies to the spirit of this discussion.

No dark mode HF is insane my guy
My phone goes to black and white at this time of night (different time zone than most of you), and that hurt my eyes. :laugh:

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
The problem I have with that is teams are less likely to extend the same gratitude. Not even that but rarely does it work like it should. Not saying guys should be underpaid

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The problem I have with that is teams are less likely to extend the same gratitude. Not even that but rarely does it work like it should. Not saying guys should be underpaid
Teams overpay players all the time. I'm not sure what you mean, overpaying a player after winning?

Ad

Ad

Ad