WC: Switzerland 2024 roster talk

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
According to Tages Anzeiger, Josi, Niederreiter, Kukan, Marti, Andrighetto, Glauser and Jäger are part of the team, no Riat. Fiala could still potentially join.

Aebischer, Baragano, Egli, Kreis, Geisser, Moy, Kessler, Künzle, Lehmann and Richard cut.

Bader showed good things during the pre-tournament games but I still didn't expect him to be picked over Richard. Egli makes some sense given that Josi, Kukan and Loeffel are on the team, and even though I thought Geisser didn't play as well as he can I'd still have taken him over Fora or Jung.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don‘t get Jung.

Bader is probably 14th forward I‘d guess.

Last edited:

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
NINO - HISCHIER - KURASHEV
ANDRIGHETTO - SENTELER - HERZOG
THURKAUF - HAAS - SIMION
BERTSCHY - JÄGER - AMBUHL
Scherwey, Bader

SIEGENTHALER - JOSI
KUKAN - GLAUSER
MARTI - LOEFFEL
Fora, Jung

BERRA
GENONI
SCHMID

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I love that he takes Jäger to the WC, I really liked him in the Playoffs, really good in critical situations and therefore deserved. I can see him working well with Ambühl and Bertschy as a 4th line.

As many others, I just hope that Fora is the 8th D at max and does not see the ice much, but we all know Fischer loves him for some weird reason. Surprised that Richard did not make the cut, but then also not really surprised.

Anyway, with Josi and Nino coming as well, I am really pumped for the WC.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Final roster

Torhüter (3): Reto Berra (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Leonardo Genoni (EV Zug), Akira Schmid (New Jersey Devils)

Verteidiger (7): Michael Fora (HC Davos), Andrea Glauser (Lausanne HC), Sven Jung (HC Davos), Dean Kukan (ZSC Lions), Romain Loeffel (SC Bern), Christian Marti (ZSC Lions), Jonas Siegenthaler (New Jersey Devils)

Stürmer (14): Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Sven Andrighetto (ZSC Lions), Thierry Bader (SC Bern), Christoph Bertschy (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Gaëtan Haas (EHC Biel-Bienne), Fabrice Herzog (EV Zug), Nico Hischier (New Jersey Devils), Ken Jäger (Lausanne HC), Philipp Kurashev (Chicago Blackhawks), Nino Niederreiter (Winnipeg Jets), Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern), Sven Senteler (EV Zug), Dario Simion (EV Zug), Calvin Thürkauf (HC Lugano)

Reactions: Eye of Ra

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer is always good for surprises.

I like the Jäger call, honestly, that's a good sign. He had amazind playoffs, played a great two-way game. He's also the youngest skater playing in Switzerland which is my major concern. We're basically sending a team who will mostly retire after 26 (at least the players playing in Switzerland). I would have taken Richard over Bader but the point may be that he doesn't want Richard to be 13th or 14th forward, which is fair.

But I don't see the Jung call. I see it nowhere. Every other defender during this preparation was better. Baragano was better, Aebischer was better, even Kreis was better. He'll probably be 8th D-men but yeah, that's not a good decision. Frick or Heldner would have been better.

It's clear we can give Josi 30mins of ice time and limit the ice time of Fora and Jung, but yeah. He isn't even young anymore.

I read somewhere that Riat is expecting a child, too. So that's probably the reason he's not there.

I can see:

Josi - Loeffel
Siegenthaler - Kukan
Marti - Glauser
Fora (Jung)

Kurashev - Hischier - Thürkauf
Andrighetto - Haas - Nino
Herzog - Senteler or Jäger - Simion
Scherwey - Bertschy - Ambühl
Senteler or Jäger
Bader

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

I like the Jäger call, honestly, that's a good sign. He had amazind playoffs, played a great two-way game. He's also the youngest skater playing in Switzerland which is my major concern. We're basically sending a team who will mostly retire after 26 (at least the players playing in Switzerland). I would have taken Richard over Bader but the point may be that he doesn't want Richard to be 13th or 14th forward, which is fair.

But I don't see the Jung call. I see it nowhere. Every other defender during this preparation was better. Baragano was better, Aebischer was better, even Kreis was better. He'll probably be 8th D-men but yeah, that's not a good decision. Frick or Heldner would have been better.

It's clear we can give Josi 30mins of ice time and limit the ice time of Fora and Jung, but yeah. He isn't even young anymore.

I read somewhere that Riat is expecting a child, too. So that's probably the reason he's not there.

I can see:

Josi - Loeffel
Siegenthaler - Kukan
Marti - Glauser
Fora (Jung)

Senteler or Jäger
Bader
Good team . Worst case scenario is that they make the semis and Fischer stays coach in perpetuity. I d still root for them to win gold despite the fact that i still think it would be bad for the team long term. But there are not many more chances left for some of those guys. Especially Ambühl. And Josi is soon to be 34 too. Where has time gone? 2013 still feels like yestetday to me. I remember him playing as a 17 year old rookie playing for Bern when I was a kid too. Still have his signed rookie Jersey. He was the player that got me into the NHL and the national team. Would be such a shame if he had to retire with no cup and no WC gold.

Reactions: MatBarzal

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

I can see:

Josi - Loeffel
Siegenthaler - Kukan
Marti - Glauser
Fora (Jung)

Senteler or Jäger
Bader

in best on best tournament right now

Josi - Loeffel
Siegenthaler - Kukan
Moser - Glauser

Kurashev - Hischier - Fiala
Meier - Suter - Nino
Andrighetto - Malgin - Thürkauf
Herzog - Bertschy - Riat

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

That's a bit harsh on Jung, he was fine (definitely better than Aebischer) with more ice time than Baragano and Kreis.

At forward, maybe Richard's character was indeed a factor. I like the Jäger call too, but it's a shame he has to jump right into the team without any game. I'll never understand why the league season was pushed back one week, the schedule was perfectly fine a few years ago when players from the playoff finalists could join for the 4th week, even when the WC didn't start that late.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, maybe a little bit too harsh but he was surprisingly good but not the good that would be enough to be without question-mark. And as I said, he isn't especially young also. So I'd take a player who played as good as he did but has more potential and a higher upside. And there is no question that Baragano is such a player.
But yeah, I was as critical on Glauser 2 years ago. We'll see.

I like to read comments on instagram and other social media when the SIHF is posting rosters. This is quite funny. Some guys asking where Bozon ist. :D

krutais23

May 1, 2023
in best on best tournament right now

Josi - Loeffel
Siegenthaler - Kukan
Moser - Glauser

Kurashev - Hischier - Fiala
Meier - Suter - Nino
Andrighetto - Malgin - Thürkauf
Herzog - Bertschy - Riat
There is one Gregory guy I think you need to add

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, maybe a little bit too harsh but he was surprisingly good but not the good that would be enough to be without question-mark. And as I said, he isn't especially young also. So I'd take a player who played as good as he did but has more potential and a higher upside. And there is no question that Baragano is such a player.
But yeah, I was as critical on Glauser 2 years ago. We'll see.

I like to read comments on instagram and other social media when the SIHF is posting rosters. This is quite funny. Some guys asking where Bozon ist. :D
I read one by a guy complaining about Weber, Diaz, Bodenmann, Truttman, Fuchs and some other stupid names I forgot being key to reaching the semifinals.

On a more serious note, what's the deal with Josi? Is it really necessary to make people nervous for a few more days?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer said there are 2-3 details left. He wouldn't have left a spot open if there were doubts, I guess. But for Friday it's getting close.

Nino arrived today, so he'll be ready for Friday.

Reactions: SwissFan12

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So he should be ready to play on Friday.

I wonder if Fischer goes with 8+12 and keep 2 forwards out of the lineup or 7+13.
Nevertheless is very probably Bader the guy who won't get registered and keep the seat warm in case Fiala's kid comes earlier than expected.

Edit: There were a few short clips from Training today on Insta and I think we can see there Nino playing with Andrighetto and probably Jäger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $245.00