WC: Switzerland 2024 roster talk

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, the Richard line had a solid game. Senteler is also making a good case for himself. Baragano surprisingly good on defense. Too bad we couldn't see Schmid. Hopefully he'll get a game during the weekend.

Good game overall, although sometimes I feel players are overplaying the puck carrier, which could have led to more chances had Sweden been able to take advantage.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Word out from Winniped is that Nino is ready to come and just needs medical clearance.

With him and hopefully Andrighetto we get two additional Top-6 wingers.

And yeah, Suter or Josi, Josi would be of course a very important asset but I'd take Suter anytime also. Couldn't find anything about Fiala yet, but they'll probably on their way back home and will have exit interviews tomorrow. I'd still be surprised if he'd come, but he already surprised twice, last year where he fought for clearance and once when he came on RFA status.

But some tough decisions to come. Goalies. D-men where some guys were surprisingly good and especially for the forwards where guys like Riat, Jäger, maybe even Fuchs and Rochette are around who played very strong playoffs and are in shape.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Funnily enough by a goal from his fellow countrymen Pius Suter.

And that's enough time to bring him over until next Friday.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The possibility of having Josi for the first time since 2019 convinced me to watch my first NHL game since the 2022 Olympics fiasco. My first impression was that Suter really wanted to play for Switzerland after he missed those 3 huge chances, but in the end he showed up at the right moment.

Now the defense has the potential to be exactly the same as last year with Josi instead of Moser.

So are we looking at Josi, Siegenthaler, Kukan, Glauser, Marti, Loeffel, Fora and Geisser or does anyone foresee an unexpected pick?

swissdude

May 18, 2019
if the performance principle counts then i honestly see no argument that fora should be preferred to baragano so I would wait and see what happens this weekend against finland/czechs, the roster should be defined by performance not name...
p.s.: and i also prefered Egli over Fora

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'd even take Mark Streit over Fora. :)

Jokes aside, Baragano outplayed a lot of guys and he has a shot. Egli is WC-ready in my opinion, he wasn't two years ago. Reminds a lot of Diaz in his play.

But before we speculate too much, let's wait if Kukan, Glauser and Marti are fit and if Josi is really coming.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
if the performance principle counts then i honestly see no argument that fora should be preferred to baragano so I would wait and see what happens this weekend against finland/czechs, the roster should be defined by performance not name...
p.s.: and i also prefered Egli over Fora
100% agree with taking Bargano over Fora, but I still expect Fora to make it.

Regarding Egli, he's clearly a better player than Fora but I don't think they're fighting for the same role in the team. Egli might very well be the victim of Josi's availability with Loeffel and Kukan as other power play options.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Fischer likes Fora, I also expect him to be there altough he should not and others are better.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I'm not that keen on Loeffel, I know people like him because he scores once in a while but with SC Bern he took way to many shot attempts with no screen whatsoever that were easy saves for the opponent goalie or missed the goal entirely which led to turnovers, that could cost you on international level against stronger competition with a good transition game....

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I think Loeffel is a player who needs a good partner, if you pair him with the right guy he can be very good because he has this offensive smartness.

Senteler plays better than Simion, by the way.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think Loeffel is a player who needs a good partner, if you pair him with the right guy he can be very good because he has this offensive smartness.

you have a point there
concerning Senteler/Simion you might be right too, Simion seemed to struggle a bit this season, Simion is the better player imo but right now Senteler outperforms him I agree

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

That's the thing with Loeffel, you know you take the good and the bad. But over the last few games I thought that Egli's PP unit was better than his, and Loeffel didn't look good on Finland's first goal today, so Egli making it over him wouldn't be that surprising. I'd be more surprised if all four of Josi, Kukan, Egli and Loeffel go to Prague.

Regarding Simion, he's been poor since the Latvia games. Given that we're looking at five cuts assuming Niederreiter, Andrighetto and Riat all join, he might be the odd man out after the obvious Bader, Kessler, Lehmann and Künzle, although my money would be on Moy rather than him.

But then nothing is set in stone, Künzle and Bader are having a pretty good game.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'd even take Mark Streit over Fora. :)

Jokes aside, Baragano outplayed a lot of guys and he has a shot. Egli is WC-ready in my opinion, he wasn't two years ago. Reminds a lot of Diaz in his play.

But before we speculate too much, let's wait if Kukan, Glauser and Marti are fit and if Josi is really coming.
Just to add a point to this discussion, Baragano played 12 minutes against Sweden (least among defensemen) and 8 today (only ahead of Aebischer), so I think it's fair to say he's been sheltered by the coaching staff and may not have looked as good with more responsibilities. He's obviously still done very well and should play a WC in due time.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, you're probably right.

We hopefully get some news tomorrow after the game, also about the availability of the finalist.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
I don't think Schmid should be the guy in our net for important game, that 3rd goal was really weak

At the same time, the second goal Berra took against Sweden was also weak.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to Le Matin the following players were asked to wait with going to holidays:

Andrea Glauser, Lukas Frick, Fabian Heldner, Ken Jäger, Christian Marti, Sven Andrighetto, Patrick Geering

Would mean no Riat and no Kukan.
But they also say Yannick Weber is injured though he was forced retired two years ago.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
According to Le Matin the following players were asked to wait with going to holidays:

Andrea Glauser, Lukas Frick, Fabian Heldner, Ken Jäger, Christian Marti, Sven Andrighetto, Patrick Geering

Would mean no Riat and no Kukan.
But they also say Yannick Weber is injured though he was forced retired two years ago.

The weird thing is that Kukan is, apparently, not hurt.

I can't see any reason for him not to come appart from an injuries/private matter like a birth.

I hope it's not just another dumb decision by Fischer.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It wouldn't be the first time that a player goes through the playoffs with an injury without it being public knowledge.

But I'd wait until tomorrow, Le Matin is not exactly known for its quality journalism.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Kukan struggled with a virus infection beginnig of this year. I could imagine this could be a reason if Le Matin is right.

We'll see tomorrow.

Reactions: SwissFan12

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Philippe Furrer says:

Kukan/Andrighetto and probably Marti. Malgin he is unsure.
Riat from Lausanne. Glauser is unsure beause of injury. He names Fuchs and Rochette as additional options.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Malgin being "unsure" would be a big upgrade, I just assumed he was out for a long time. Glauser would be a bummer, he was fantastic in the playoffs.

Not sure Fuchs can be integrated into the team on such short notice, I can't see who he would replace. Rochette can tryout for Canada as far as I am concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad