Olympics: Swimming

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'll never forget in the 2016 Olympics some 16 year old Chinese girl that no one had ever heard of showed up to the Olympics and set a bunch of world records with almost literally impossible splits and then a few years later disappeared from the sport.

I'm sure there was no doping there.

The girl who won the 200m in 2021 and is back here again was busted in 2022 but the evidence was inconclusive I think since level was too low

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
McIntosh might win the 200/400/800 in 2028. I think Ledecky will only do the 1500 there and maybe a relay or two, she will win the 800 here again but only because McIntosh is not in it

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Don't let me down Douglass...I got 200$ on her at +130 here in the 200. Tatjana Smith has spent a ton of time in the pool this week and she's older and has a track record of fading as events progress

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Smith played it smart too learning from her past mistakes but it was not enough anyway, she probably needed to grind a bit harder the first 150 but maybe she still loses
Douglas was just too good in the turns. It was almost even at the last turn, then Douglas comes out of it with more than half a length on Smith.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Johnny Weissmuller aka the Tarzan still the goat. Thou Aleksandr Popov was most technically gifted.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Another Gold medal for Summer.

She was so strong in the relay too yesterday. I feel as though it kind of went unnoticed.

Had the 3rd fastest time out of all, barely behind 2 Australians, and helped Canada go from about 6th with a huge gap to in a race for 3rd when she passed it off to last relayer.

Super fun to watch her these olympics.

I wonder if she'll swim in the mixed relay final today?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
One more post. I've been following swimming very closely these Olympics so far - and it's really eye opening to see how much scheduling impacts potential winners & especially participation in certain events

Leon Marchand is great. Summer McIntosh is great.
If there was no scheduling conflicts (allowing time for rest too) - in how many events could they both legitimately medal in? vs how many events are they actually enrolled in? I suspect there's a huge discrepancy there.

It really makes it incredibly impressive how Phelps won 8 gold medals in one Olympics. I was following back then, but probably not quite as closely, so not sure on how much of an impact scheduling was for him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Caleb Dressel was sobbing after failing to qualify for 100M fly final.

Officials moved him off camera

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He overloaded his schedule. He got too ambitious for what his body could endure in a single day
He's not as young as he used to be

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
One more post. I've been following swimming very closely these Olympics so far - and it's really eye opening to see how much scheduling impacts potential winners & especially participation in certain events

Leon Marchand is great. Summer McIntosh is great.
If there was no scheduling conflicts (allowing time for rest too) - in how many events could they both legitimately medal in? vs how many events are they actually enrolled in? I suspect there's a huge discrepancy there.

It really makes it incredibly impressive how Phelps won 8 gold medals in one Olympics. I was following back then, but probably not quite as closely, so not sure on how much of an impact scheduling was for him.
McIntosh is currently top 3 in the world in the 4 events she swims, plus 200 Free and 800 Free (she beat Ledecky back in January). She was 6th in the world for the 200 Back for 2003. She'd be on the bubble for making the final in both the 100 Back and 100 Butterfly. She no longer swims the 1500 Free but she did a 16:15 when she was 14. So basically she could be world class in everything but the 50 and 100 Free and the Breaststroke.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
McIntosh might win the 200/400/800 in 2028. I think Ledecky will only do the 1500 there and maybe a relay or two, she will win the 800 here again but only because McIntosh is not in it
She’ll be the star of the LA Olympics. The entirety of it.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's really been declining now for awhile, he did not even qualify for another event here at all pre Olympics which he won in 2021, I think the 200
USA has had a brutal Olympics. Coming into today they only have 3 people who’ve won individual gold medals (Ledecky, Huske, Douglass).

Not a single man either. Dressel’s break might’ve been good for him psychologically, but his swimming wasn’t there when he came back. Murphy is getting old too, and for some reason hasn’t had his best stuff this week either. None of the supposed male up and comers have done anything.

Some of the females have also struggled. Ledecky coming into today hasn’t been at her best. She’s declining. Looking very beatable. King is pretty much at the end of her ability to compete, and I think is retiring too after the Olympics. Some of the up and comers haven’t done that well either. Gretchen Walsh was supposed to win like two golds and didn’t deliver. Reagan Smith is the queen of the silver medal. She doesn’t deliver when it matters in the Olympics, even though she’s arguably the best female swimmer in the world during the rest of the year.

They are still getting a lot of medals. It’s probably just a one off brutal Olympics in between generations, but this has been an Olympics to forget for USA in the pool and it can still get worse.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Small chance a fresher Douglass pulls off the shocker here in the 200 or at least takes it to the wire, lets see

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00