Speculation: Swayman vs. Thornton: A public/private dispute

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The Jeremy Swayman situation, while a bit different than the summer of Joe Thornton getting into a public dispute in his 3yr 20m deal, is by far is the biggest public dispute since then.
Joe Thornton and his brother agent were dropping bombs in the media that he didn't feel loved, thinking of retiring until he signed that contract on August 11th 2005. Joe showed up to camp and his performance was questionable by Bruins management. A shitty draw in the faceoff circle against, I believe NJD, was the end. The Bruins secretly negotiated a trade with San Jose, resulting in a Thornton for Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau deal.
The trade was highly controversial, where many said they didn't get enough back, also suggesting they should of publicly/called around the league. Others said the deal was the catalyst in bringing in Chara and Savard later that summer at season's end.

Now fast-forward to today. The Swayman situation is a holdout, a highly public negotiating process, with both sides being publicly frustrated. Most scenarios/options have been publicly discussed, to which many are suggesting the Bruins either overpay or trade Swayman.

My questions are these:
1. Do the Bruins trade him unannounced like they did with Thornton?
2. If Swayman gets traded, is the return likely better or worse than the Thornton trade?
3. Do the Bruins sign him and give him full NTC/NMCs, limiting their ability to move him?
4. Lastly, if they sign him and give him full NTC/NMCs, how long before the relationship possibly gets toxic?

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's opinion on this matter. We haven't seen something like this in almost 19 years.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
My questions are these:
2. If Swayman gets traded, is the return likely better or worse than the Thornton trade?
3. Do the Bruins sign him and give him full NTC/NMCs, limiting their ability to move him?
4. Lastly, if they sign him and give him full NTC/NMCs, how long before the relationship possibly gets toxic?
1. Yes, they eventually trade him, unannounced. The Bruins usually do everything quietly.
2. The return will be worse. Who gives up a premium for an overpaid player?
3. Yes, they sign him and give him NTC/NMC protection, but will trade him within the first 2 years, before the protection kicks in.
4. It's already toxic. Swayman will eventually sign because it would be foolish to sit out the season, but if he still can't get over the arbitration process he'll never recover from this. Frankly, I think there will be a large group of fans who won't see him the same either, myself included.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
1. Yes, they eventually trade him, unannounced. The Bruins usually do everything quietly.
2. The return will be worse. Who gives up a premium for an overpaid player?
3. Yes, they sign him and give him NTC/NMC protection, but will trade him within the first 2 years, before the protection kicks in.
4. It's already toxic. Swayman will eventually sign because it would be foolish to sit out the season, but if he still can't get over the arbitration process he'll never recover from this. Frankly, I think there will be a large group of fans who won't see him the same either, myself included.
Winning is all that matters. If he wins. No one will care.

Reactions: PlayMakers

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Jeremy Swayman situation, while a bit different than the summer of Joe Thornton getting into a public dispute in his 3yr 20m deal, is by far is the biggest public dispute since then.
Joe Thornton and his brother agent were dropping bombs in the media that he didn't feel loved, thinking of retiring until he signed that contract on August 11th 2005. Joe showed up to camp and his performance was questionable by Bruins management. A shitty draw in the faceoff circle against, I believe NJD, was the end. The Bruins secretly negotiated a trade with San Jose, resulting in a Thornton for Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau deal.
The trade was highly controversial, where many said they didn't get enough back, also suggesting they should of publicly/called around the league. Others said the deal was the catalyst in bringing in Chara and Savard later that summer at season's end.

Now fast-forward to today. The Swayman situation is a holdout, a highly public negotiating process, with both sides being publicly frustrated. Most scenarios/options have been publicly discussed, to which many are suggesting the Bruins either overpay or trade Swayman.

My questions are these:

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's opinion on this matter. We haven't seen something like this in almost 19 years.
1. Sweeney would probably leak to his mouthpieces in the press that they've exhausted their attempts to sign him and were looking to move him
2. Better in that they'd at least get a draft pick rather than two nickels and a penny for a quarter like MOC did
3. Yeah, NMC is going to be in it if they do sign him, which is only going to bone the Bruins further
4. The first time he loses a game to Florida/Montreal/Toronto it's going to get ugly

Though this is more like Jason Allison's 2001 holdout than Thornton, and O'Connell managed to get a damn good return on that one

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

My questions are these:

If he don't sign then I hope Bruins make him sit entire season.This is 1 time I would be fine with nothing back.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Just a point of clarification, he can not have any ntc/ nmc protection for the first two years of any contract signed. Here or anywhere. He’s too young.

Good questions though. We will let this run as long as it doesnt duplicate the current Swayman mega thread.

Reactions: ranold26

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I ignore one Jeremy Swayman thread and another one pops into my life…
IMG_0687.jpeg

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If he wants to be here and 8/64 does it but I can see him wanting out

If I’m the GM and I don’t get what I want in return he can sit out if he snubs 64 M

I’ll trade him in offseason - probably for not a lot but I’ll send him West

Reactions: CDJ

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My questions are these:
What a different world we live in now compared to 20 years ago. This place (and others like it) existed, but we didn’t have Twitter and other instant reporting. I’d love it though. It would be great to have a villain around here. You just don’t see as many hockey trades with the hard cap. You used to see a lot more blockbuster deals with clubs exchanging stars.

I just don’t see a team giving up a lot for a guy that they then have to turn around and pay $8.5-9m per season too. Especially at that position. What club has the cap space and who are they bidding against?

I think the club was being earnest when they said they believe they’re a better team with Swayman present, but it feels like a clear line has been drawn in the sand. I think the relationship is pretty toxic at present and that the organization felt pressed to enter the nuclear launch codes and napalm the thing because the player and his representative chose to pee in the pool over the summer and the club had had enough.

But money fixes things and if he signs, all is forgiven and they chalk it up to “the business side of hockey”.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

A limited market … and a hefty price​

Boston’s price should be steep for any No. 1 netminder, especially one with another two seasons of team control.

The Vancouver Canucks snagged the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft when they dealt goalie Cory Schneider to the Devils, allowing them to select eventual captain Bo Horvat.

Boston would likely want far more than just a first-round pick, given Swayman’s high ceiling.

Another goalie with unrealized potential could be appealing for goalie coach Bob Essensa and the rest of Boston’s coaching staff. Instead of a haul of draft picks, the Bruins could pursue an impact NHLer, especially one that could shore up the top-six vacancy on Charlie Coyle’s line.

It would be a considerable ask for the Bruins, one that few teams would be able to meet — especially at this stage of the preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad