Swayman Vs The Bruins

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Maybe Swayman is wrong about what he is worth, but I don't think he is wrong to try to get as much as he can. It's a business, isn't it? What Swayman is doing is no more wrong than the Bruins were for trying to minimize Swayman's contributions and talents when they went to arbitration.

Reactions: Misko

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Maybe Swayman is wrong about what he is worth, but I don't think he is wrong to try to get as much as he can. It's a business, isn't it? What Swayman is doing is no more wrong than the Bruins were for trying to minimize Swayman's contributions and talents when they went to arbitration.
i think a lot a people are fine with that. where he lost some people is the fact that he elected to go to arbitration and then wrote down the things the team said to make their case as to why they should pay him less, and takes those as personal shots and is holding onto them.

it's a business, isn't it?

Reactions: nbwingsfan and Esq

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
i think a lot a people are fine with that. where he lost some people is the fact that he elected to go to arbitration and then wrote down the things the team said to make their case as to why they should pay him less, and takes those as personal shots and is holding onto them.

it's a business, isn't it?
He may be a giant baby. My point is that there is nothing wrong with even a giant baby trying to get as much money as he can. The owners try to give him as little as they can. It is the way these things work.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So who is trading for someone like that?
Teams in desperate need of a goalie and aren’t a team built on culture the same way the bruins have been

There hasn’t been a bad one in Boston since like 2006. They’ll be fine without him I reckon

He may be a giant baby. My point is that there is nothing wrong with even a giant baby trying to get as much money as he can. The owners try to give him as little as they can. It is the way these things work.
There is when you’re asking way more than you’re actually worth.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
For all the criticisms of Swayman taking things personally, seems like a lot of Bruins fans are doing the very same thing - and it's not even their livelyhood .

With the cap going up, 8x8 would be a bargain. Bridge deal for 2 or 3 at $9 would be acceptable if i was swayman but maybe not even that. Sea Bass strikes me as the vindictive type. I'd walk away if I was Swayman, that org is always trying to short-change. Swayman doesn't need to ptove anything, ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. Pony up Boston

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Swayman will be traded, Bruins have botched this about as badly as possible.

There will be those calling Swayman/players selfish, ignoring that the game is always in favor of the billionaire owners. That 64 mil woulda been plenty, imo, had they not offered it the way they did.

Oh, and I don’t think Swayman should take the arbitration so seriously (if that isn’t just a gambit)- it’s possible for both parties to be wrong to some degree, but Bruins seem far more at fault.
If Swayman wants to go, that’s the door. The club is bigger than any player. I remember when Kessel said he didn’t want to play for the Bruins and went to the Leafs. We survived, we’ll survive Swayman gone if that’s how it’ll play out.

Reactions: Score08

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
For all the criticisms of Swayman taking things personally, seems like a lot of Bruins fans are doing the very same thing - and it's not even their livelyhood .

With the cap going up, 8x8 would be a bargain. Bridge deal for 2 or 3 at $9 would be acceptable if i was swayman but maybe not even that. Sea Bass strikes me as the vindictive type. I'd walk away if I was Swayman, that org is always trying to short-change. Swayman doesn't need to ptove anything, ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. Pony up Boston
a bargain? whats he done to prove hes worth 8mil hes been good but 8m is a overpay for the short succes he has had.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
publicly stating "i went to business school" during a negotiation
then being butthurt about an arbitration hearing is pure comedy.
what are they teaching in Orono? businesses feelings 101?
I mean this is what they’re teaching at most colleges now.

• Haha
Reactions: BBQandHockey

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
So you’re saying your experience has absolutely zero bearing on this situation and felt the need to explain how your the guy. Got it.
Experience with how negotiations go during arbitration and conciliation in several fields. It's always the same. Union side, Exaggerate and compare self to X. Company side, tell the workers why they are worth less than they think, usually in very insulting terms and tell them they are lucky they have a job at all, take it or leave it.

The younger and more testosterone fueled union stewards with an ego always take it more personally than the older seasoned union guys.

By all released accounts of negotiations, it's exactly the same in hockey. Players feel insulted and bad blood emerges. They have several articles in the past few years about how ugly arbitration gets these days and how it's crucial to avoid it in modern NHL

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Completely side with Boston on this one. 8x8 is already pushing it for me. Higher than that should be reserved for best of the best and even then I wouldn’t love playing a goalie that.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Swayman can walk away at any time. Go over to Europe for two year. Come back a UFA.

Im sure some organization would definitely write him a blank check at that point and it definitely won’t cost him millions and de-rail his career.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think he's trying to be the guy to get goalies out of the "other" category, separated from forwards and defensemen.

Young, promising skaters with limited league time get these deals all of the time. Goalies never do.

SeaChaser

Mar 10, 2021
Tampa
This has been a great distraction while we all wait for the season to start. I don't care who is right or wrong. I could care less what both sides are saying, or not saying. Just please keep this distraction going until opening night.

I look forward to every time Boston and the Bolts play. Boston not having a goalie (insert name here), that doesn't live up to Boston goalies, would be my only concern. Boston puts out a great product on the ice, lets keep it that way,

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Completely side with Boston on this one. 8x8 is already pushing it for me. Higher than that should be reserved for best of the best and even then I wouldn’t love playing a goalie that.
And for that term. Someone make a list of all the goalies who have signed 8-year contracts at top-market money, then gone on to be worth that money consistently for 8 years. I'll eagerly wait for the list.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
And for that term. Someone make a list of all the goalies who have signed 8-year contracts at top-market money, then gone on to be worth that money consistently for 8 years. I'll eagerly wait for the list.
I don’t care how good the goalie is there’s gonna be years where they’re not worth the contract. plus even at their best they’re playing 55 games a year. Not where I’d put my money. And this is coming from a huge price fan.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Swayman is not some generational talent that the Bruins gave up tons of assets for, or drafted with a top 5 pick, etc.

He was a 4th round draft pick who played well in a limited role in the Bruins system.

8x8 deal leaves ALL of the risk on the Bruins side, if he doesn't want to take this then he needs to be traded for whatever they can get or sit and rot until he's a UFA.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Maybe Swayman is wrong about what he is worth, but I don't think he is wrong to try to get as much as he can. It's a business, isn't it?
Define "wrong".

My wife co-owns a restaurant and she and her partner could totally cut the corners on a ton of stuff, from produce, to decorating, staff and offering less allergen-free options. They'd make even more profits but offer a shittier experience.

But it's not just a business to them. Other things matter, reaching personal goals and offering a great experience to their patrons.

Athletes who reduce hockey to just a business are parasites who degrade this beautiful sport. Their greed has a direct impact on cap room and they deprive their team of any chance of competing. At the end of the line, the fan is the one who is punished and offered a subpar product.

Athletes like Hedman and Stamkos understand that hockey is not just a business, and that's why they'll be some of the rare hockey players in the salary cap era to lead a tight team to back to back cups. Their legacy will endure and they still have way more money than they'll ever need for them and several generations of their descendants.

Meanwhile, guys who are in it to chase a bag they don't deserve, like Klingberg, Huberdeau and now Swayman, will be rightfully mocked and despised.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No, if you deserve $8m you better be playing 60 games. We aren’t talking your run of the mill $5m player here.
Swayman/Ullmark both are capable #1's it's not Swayman's fault he was part of the best tandem in the league. or are you assuming that Swayman is incapable of playing 60 games? he played 44 games last year, do you think he wouldn't be able to play those extra 16 games if needed to?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad