Swayman Vs The Bruins

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Swayman is taking advantage of the situation with Ullmark now gone. If Ullmark was still a Bruin, Swayman wouldn't be trying to milk the franchise for every penny out of them. Shame on him for doing this.

Your last two former captains both took discounts at a chance to win.

Ya, I can't see Boston ownership putting up with this. Boston is a force year after year because of players not being selfish and buying into the "there is no I in team" program. I'll be very surprised if Swayman is a Bruin for much longer.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
What if your employer was treating you the same way when asking for a raise?
Get my employer to offer me an 8x8 contract and I'll tell you...

Hard to compared blue collar middle class people who are now living check to check asking for raises versus millionaire athletes who can retire at 37 years old asking for another half million

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Swayman's numbers last season weren't even that good. Definitely not numbers of a $8M dollar goalie. His numbers the previous season were actually better when he played less games. Also Jim Montgomery's system Im sure help him look better.

2.53GAA25W10L8T11790.916SV%

Sorokin, Saros, Otter and Demko are all better than him and I don't recall any of these goalies making $8M+ a year.
I think that kind of highlights a potential point for re-alignment when it comes to paying goalies. With recent contracts for a core young skater teams easily throw out $8M/8 contracts, yet young goalies barely get more than mediocre UFA vets. Maybe it's a lack of good goaltending talent in recent years but it really looks like they're getting squeezed here. I know goaltending is a more volatile position, but they should still be a core member of the team.

I don't know much about Swaymen really, but I'd imagine he has to look at skaters like say Josh Norris or Dylan Guenther and think 'I'm more valuable and I should be getting paid at least the same'.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
In the parlance of Swayman, Neely and Sweeney are not going to ruin it for how NHL teams handle RFAs.

The window is closing fast on Swayman, if he is determined to go beyond $64M then his days as a member of the Bruins are very short.
I think they should do a 2 year bridge contract, 2x8. Go out and prove you're worth it kid, and then we'll talk about a 6 year extension. It's the exact same way that the Blues handled Binnington after their 2019 run.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Regarding #2.

You asked your boss for a raise and they said no and gave you a list of all the things you need to do to improve in order to get the raise.

A year later you've checked off everything on your bosses list, so you ask for the raise again. Your boss says no, but counters with an offer lower than your ask.

That's when it's time to find a new job.
That’s not how that works.

If I performed all the things I was supposed to do, but then asked for more than people performing better than me, then the employer has every right to say no.

He hasn’t done anything to be paid over $8M. Even $8M is a big stretch

Reactions: Score08 and Oryxo

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Honestly I technically understand the Bruins argument

That said, almost universally Swayman is seen as a top talent, and it’s not exactly all his fault he hasn’t got more games yet. He was great against the Leafs, he sure as hell should have been put in sooner against the Panthers a couple years back, and basically every year the collective performance of the Bruins skaters has been lacking something in the playoffs.

Swayman has had great stats generally and probably could have been given a longer sample size already if the Bruins wanted

It’s rather convenient from the Bruins negotiating perspective that they kept a second really good goalie right until they wanted to lock him long term lol. Not saying that WHY they did it but

Swayman would be absolutely sillily to sign for less than $8 mil. That some other goalies signed for less than they could have probably gotten isn’t on him when other goalies had already gotten more, and that’s before the cap rise

imo I don’t understand why the Bruins don’t just do 8.5 if they’re getting long term. That will be cheap in no time.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I honestly think any compétant goalie would have done well behind Ullmark, on those bruins teams. They literally turned a fringe starter into a Vézina winner.

I Hope Korpisalo finds his game and puts up great stats to stick it to crybaby Swayman and his POS agent Lewis Gross.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Goalie is a unique position requiring mental strength and Sway is coming off as anything but ready for a starter role with his remarks to the press.

Also with regards to the Krug saga the Bruins in the end were proven right as he was never the same player and also had injuries for the Blues.

Reactions: Score08

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Watching the Amazon series, it’s interesting to hear him talk about it. He says a few times “this could be my last game” after series was over, he brought up arbitration and how he wrote everything down. Makes this whole situation that much more intriguing.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crazy that they went from having both Ullmark and Swayman to possibly not having either. Probably kept the wrong one.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Question, if swayman for example signs a 1 yr deal for 6 million on Dec 1, does he get the whole 6 million or is it prorated for time missed?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Is it PKs belief that Swayman wasn't offered 8*8? Why would Neely say that was the offer? How does lying about that benefit him or the Bruins at all? How does it put any pressure on Swayman at all? "I told the press that I offered you more than I did so you'd best take my lower offer", what?
Do you think Swayman's camp gains any kind of advantage by lying in the media and saying they didn't get a 64 million dollar offer? What's their goal? "I told the press you lied about the 64 million dollar offer so offer me 9 mil a year instead!", what?

You are making the mistaken assumption that everything needs to be a logical move to try and maximize the outcome of a situation. People are emotional and say stupid things all the time out of anger or frustration. Someone is lying but we have no way of knowing who, but its not some 4D chess move, someone just messed up because they were mad.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
what swayman is doing is disgusting and you know he will under perform now if he gets the contract also this season cause rarly players who do this have a good first season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
what swayman is doing is disgusting and you know he will under perform now if he gets the contract also this season cause rarly players who do this have a good first season.
At this point it’s probably best to start looking at trade.

Theres no way that locker room built on culture won’t be affected by a dweeb who’s holding out by asking way more than he’s worth

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
publicly stating "i went to business school" during a negotiation
then being butthurt about an arbitration hearing is pure comedy.
what are they teaching in Orono? businesses feelings 101?

Reactions: Score08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad