Suzuki vs. Hischier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nick vs. Nico: Who do you take going forward

• Nico

• Nick

• Habs fan voting Nick

• Devils fan voting Nico

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I voted for my boi Suzuki but I acknowledge my bias on this one.

Answer might be Hischier, but Suzuki is right on his heels

Reactions: Eegs

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Both have have roughly the same amount of points (suzuki has 1 more point). Suzuki has had Dach and Caufield as his linemates the majority of the time and Hischier has had Tatar and Zetterlund.

Both are used as 1st line Centers

Defensive stats I know to find for Centers
Suzuki has spent 28:53 minutes on the ice SH and averages 1:23 SH per game.
He has 15 SH faceoffs with a 33.3% FOW% and 71 Defensive zone faceoffs with a 52.1% FOW%

Hischier has spent 49:50 minutes on the ice SH and averages 2:30 SH per game
He has 50 SH faceoffs with a 58% FOW% and 136 Defensive zone Faceoffs with a 64% FOW%

I could argue Suzuki's lower usage defensively is because his line is the only one that scores so they have to rest him during penalties.:dunno:

If anyone else has those fancy advanced stats please share. I don't know where to find those.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Even Strength rates

Hischier
GF/60: 4.8
GA/60: 1.7
GF%: 73.3%

xGF/60: 3.8
xGA/60: 2.1
xGF%: 63.8%

Suzuki
GA/60: 4.4
GF%: 51.9%

xGF/60: 2.1
xGA/60: 2.9
xGF%: 34.6%

It should be the former by a lot, as he is probably a front-runner for Selke.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I was thinking it was a bit closer, but Suzuki is on a bit of a SH% bender where Hischier's is pretty normal for him. So I think the defensive side of things is pretty close, but I have more faith in Hischier keeping up his offensive level than Suzuki.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Suzuki was definitely the steal of the draft though.
Patrick, Glass, Andersson, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen. Tippet, Vilardi, and Necas were all drafted before him. His OHL stats perhaps aren't that exciting but its crazy that Vegas gave up him up for Patches.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Definitely Hischier for me. Suzuki is good but he’s riding some hot percentages right now. Hischier is just a better possession player, defensive player and 5v5 producer. And I’m sure Jersey will sort their PP with their talent. Suzuki is more of a back end of the top 20 type centre regularly who might push top 10 in a good year, whereas Hischier looks like he might be pushing top 10 or just outside regularly, and might push beyond that in a good year

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Even Strength rates

Hischier

Suzuki

They are irrelevant. Hischier is playing on a more complete team. Suzuki will likely be the better player offensively when Montreal gets a 2nd line and a PP QB.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Even Strength rates

Hischier

Suzuki

I voted for Nico. But the fact that the Devils also have the Hughes line is gonna make Nico’s life easier even if NJ tries to match him up against the better lines.

Reactions: Phrasing

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Even Strength rates

Hischier

Suzuki

Serious question. How come Hischier has such a jump in 2-way ability this year? Not saying he was a slouch before but that seems to be quite the progression

I'd say maturity and being 100% healthy but I have to ask for more insight

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
As a Rangers fan, it pains me to say that I like both a lot, but I’ve gotta give it to Hischier. He should be up for some Selke’s in his career.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Serious question. How come Hischier has such a jump in 2-way ability this year? Not saying he was a slouch before but that seems to be quite the progression

I'd say maturity and being 100% healthy but I have to ask for more insight
The truth is that despite his reputation as a great two-way center, he was pretty below-averge defensively until last season.

People just assumed because he was a cerebral center with decent size that he was automatically good at defense when none of the data supported those claims.

He was always a pretty great play driver, but the injuries combined with the decline in NJ's forward roster from 2019-2022 really harmed his numbers. He is an elite play driver but the Devils have really struggled with finishing.

So ironically, people who posted about him being good defensively and but growing into his p\ffense were wrong on both accounts - his offense was always underrated, but it was the improvement in his defensive play that's taken him to the next level.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The truth is that despite his reputation as a great two-way center, he was pretty below-averge defensively until last season.

People just assumed because he was a cerebral center with decent size that he was automatically good at defense when none of the data supported those claims.

He was always a pretty great play driver, but the injuries combined with the decline in NJ's forward roster from 2019-2022 really harmed his numbers. He is an elite play driver but the Devils have really struggled with finishing.

So ironically, people who posted about him being good defensively and but growing into his p\ffense were wrong on both accounts - his offense was always underrated, but it was the improvement in his defensive play that's taken him to the next level.
I'm sure you could find some advance stats proving your point but Even in 2017 and onward I could see that Hischier was the only forward that board battled and fought for pucks in both zones. He had many moments before this year where he would poke check, Stick lift and block the shot.

Maybe it was always there and he was just over used? Haula seems to have taken some responsibility defensively this year.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey

I think he was always defensively responsible and showed a lot of effort in the two way game but played on such bad teams it couldn't reflect in the data. Add to that general maturity and improvement in play along with a good team the numbers bear it out.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It doesn't affect the poll much but I see one three poll cheaters. one Hab fan and two Devils fans. :D
Lol, at first I didn’t even notice the other options and I weirdly can’t change my vote.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad