TV: Survivor 46

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Personally, I think the jury deciding based on who they like and respect is truly the art of the game, and what makes it intriguing. I feel if everytime they voted based on a checklist, the show would lose its intrigue. As stated, I feel terrible for Charlie, as I do think he would have been a deserving winner. But, the game is truly about how you make people feel, and 1000s of tiny moments, not about the criteria Survivor constantly references. I don't think Charlie did anyone wrong. I think the only bitter vote may have been Maria.

As for Liz, I will give Kenzie credit for the fact Liz wanted her to win to the extent she essentially gave up her chances. Although, the most interesting question related to that is, I didn't think you could physically help someone else in a challenge, so if Liz stayed and counted puzzle pieces that would be fine, but her going back and getting the plank for Kenzie is questionable.
I do agree that it would get a bit lame if everyone just voted off resume's. Just sucks for Charlie and other players who play a strong game with good strategy and end up losing to someone just because they're liked.

But as you said, that is another thing that makes the game intriguing.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Personally, I think the jury deciding based on who they like and respect is truly the art of the game, and what makes it intriguing. I feel if everytime they voted based on a checklist, the show would lose its intrigue. As stated, I feel terrible for Charlie, as I do think he would have been a deserving winner. But, the game is truly about how you make people feel, and 1000s of tiny moments, not about the criteria Survivor constantly references. I don't think Charlie did anyone wrong. I think the only bitter vote may have been Maria.

As for Liz, I will give Kenzie credit for the fact Liz wanted her to win to the extent she essentially gave up her chances. Although, the most interesting question related to that is, I didn't think you could physically help someone else in a challenge, so if Liz stayed and counted puzzle pieces that would be fine, but her going back and getting the plank for Kenzie is questionable.

Agreed on the first paragraph but for the second Liz didn't do that for Kenzie she did it for herself because she knew they would send Maria home and she saw Maria as a bigger threat than the others.

Has there ever been a case like this before of such obvious cheating? I haven't watched every season yet which is why I'm glad there's a seperate general survivor season thread. I've watched 1-20 and 42-current so I still have a lot left lol

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed on the first paragraph but for the second Liz didn't do that for Kenzie she did it for herself because she knew they would send Maria home and she saw Maria as a bigger threat than the others.

Has there ever been a case like this before of such obvious cheating? I haven't watched every season yet which is why I'm glad there's a seperate general survivor season thread. I've watched 1-20 and 42-current so I still have a lot left lol
I don't think as blatant as that, nor at as pivotal a vote. But, in 43 we saw one tribe help the other with the puzzle, since the other tribe was on an immunity run.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

I can't recall a specific case of this happening so blatantly, but I know that people have helped others with certain parts of challenges recently.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

The most insane part about this is that Maria turned on Charlie in that same exact tribal, it is just Charlie won that battle. They each threw the punch at each other and Maria missed, Charlie landed his. Then Charlie was able to go for the knock out at the next tribal.

Based on everything we saw, I think Charlie should have won. Sure Kenzie was fine, but Charlie appeared to play a great strategic game to keep himself relatively safe the whole game. He played a very "clean" game, which is hard to do. Although, I do really like that Kenzie straight up said, "The money is for me." Not that I think you should make your final vote decision based on who you think is going to "use" the money the "best", so I don't think she should have won because of that, but I like her being straight up about it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The most insane part about this is that Maria turned on Charlie in that same exact tribal, it is just Charlie won that battle. They each threw the punch at each other and Maria missed, Charlie landed his. Then Charlie was able to go for the knock out at the next tribal.

Based on everything we saw, I think Charlie should have won. Sure Kenzie was fine, but Charlie appeared to play a great strategic game to keep himself relatively safe the whole game. He played a very "clean" game, which is hard to do. Although, I do really like that Kenzie straight up said, "The money is for me." Not that I think you should make your final vote decision based on who you think is going to "use" the money the "best", so I don't think she should have won because of that, but I like her being straight up about it.
I think Tyson talking with Gabler said it was a good move for him not to bring up donating all of the money during final tribal.

Charlie in some exit press stated that he floated Maria's name as a decoy to Tiff to not get her to play the idol, and that got back to Maria at Ponderosa as Tiff was heavily pushing Kenzie.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Exactly.

I agree with most comments here in this thread. Charlie really played the best and game likely should have won.

However, I do agree with point on what you are going to do with the money. Now to me, when Q asked the question, I was a little turned off. I HATE that question. To me it's irrelevant completely in the game of Survivor. That's nobody's business and should not affect decisions made on the winner. However once asked it has to be considered. And I really hated Charlie's answer here. To me he was pandering too much. Vaguely mentioning causes he was gonna support. Just be open and honest with it. That's where Kenzie certainly won Q's vote anyways.

I was reading an exit interview with Charlie today and he was talking about Maria has continued to this day to be evasive, non-committal, and outright changing her story repeatedly about the vote. To me that just screams bitter. Which is unfortunate. Charlie really just outplayed her and she couldn't accept that. And that's really too bad. Charlie only needed 4 votes and he was 100% assured the victory with the Ben tie break.

BTW have I mentioned recently how fire making is the STUPIDEST thing in Survivor history? Cause it is. It gets undue weight with the jury since it happens in front of them. The challenges end up not mattering at all, but they all care deeply about firemaking. Players who win the final immunity challenge and/or are taken to the final are punished for not making fire. As if that's a bad thing. It's really too bad that Jeff loves this stupid thing so much, since it's ruined the finales for basically every season in the new era at least. Either the best player is eliminated at fire (Jesse/Carson) or the winner of fire gets too much credit for that from the jury and wins (at least partially here with Kenzie). I don't think Kenzie is a BAD choice for winner at all...just Charlie should have probably won and, IMO, likely does win if he goes to fire and wins that. Which doesn't make much sense.

Finally, I think Venus fully recovered her rep with the faces she was making when it was suggested by Liz and Ben that Liz was any kind of threat. That was hilarious. She was the leader but the way the whole jury made the "WTF" face when Liz said she would win for sure if she'd been in final 3 was just an epic hilarious moment. Liz is almost as delusional as Denise or whatever her name was from the Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty season (the one who lied about literally every little thing at all times and I think she even came back from a 2nd season where she was even more delusional but thankfully voted off earlier).

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Exactly.

I agree with most comments here in this thread. Charlie really played the best and game likely should have won.

However, I do agree with point on what you are going to do with the money. Now to me, when Q asked the question, I was a little turned off. I HATE that question. To me it's irrelevant completely in the game of Survivor. That's nobody's business and should not affect decisions made on the winner. However once asked it has to be considered. And I really hated Charlie's answer here. To me he was pandering too much. Vaguely mentioning causes he was gonna support. Just be open and honest with it. That's where Kenzie certainly won Q's vote anyways.

I was reading an exit interview with Charlie today and he was talking about Maria has continued to this day to be evasive, non-committal, and outright changing her story repeatedly about the vote. To me that just screams bitter. Which is unfortunate. Charlie really just outplayed her and she couldn't accept that. And that's really too bad. Charlie only needed 4 votes and he was 100% assured the victory with the Ben tie break.

BTW have I mentioned recently how fire making is the STUPIDEST thing in Survivor history? Cause it is. It gets undue weight with the jury since it happens in front of them. The challenges end up not mattering at all, but they all care deeply about firemaking. Players who win the final immunity challenge and/or are taken to the final are punished for not making fire. As if that's a bad thing. It's really too bad that Jeff loves this stupid thing so much, since it's ruined the finales for basically every season in the new era at least. Either the best player is eliminated at fire (Jesse/Carson) or the winner of fire gets too much credit for that from the jury and wins (at least partially here with Kenzie). I don't think Kenzie is a BAD choice for winner at all...just Charlie should have probably won and, IMO, likely does win if he goes to fire and wins that. Which doesn't make much sense.

Finally, I think Venus fully recovered her rep with the faces she was making when it was suggested by Liz and Ben that Liz was any kind of threat. That was hilarious. She was the leader but the way the whole jury made the "WTF" face when Liz said she would win for sure if she'd been in final 3 was just an epic hilarious moment. Liz is almost as delusional as Denise or whatever her name was from the Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty season (the one who lied about literally every little thing at all times and I think she even came back from a 2nd season where she was even more delusional but thankfully voted off earlier).
Funny thing is post game from the finalists, most have been pretty complementary about Venus. Ben has pretty much mentioned how while the edit highlighted Kenzie helping him deal with his panic attacks and asking him how he was doing, Charlie, Liz and Venus often did the same (and he would have voted Charlie in a tie). It did seem most of the people she disliked just happened to be at Ponderosa with her (Tevin, Q and Maria).

I don't like fire-making because it's there to protect big threats because they didn't like final 3's they were getting (many attribute this to Millenials vs Gen X and the boot there, and it was implemented the next filming cycle). But, I don't think it has an undue influence on the game. I strongly believe juror's generally vote for who they want to win, then retroactively find reasons to justify the vote. Fire is just a convenient one to point too. I would prefer if jurors more openly just said, I voted for who I enjoyed being around the most and I wanted to reward them. In the New Era, more winners haven't been in fire than have. In the old format Jesse would have easily been voted out at 4, Carson might have been forced into a tie breaker but could have survived. Without fire, Tony probably loses WaW and Dom probably wins a clean sweep in GI. So, it's a mixed bag.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Kenzie played the best social game of the new era, had a great final tribal council , won a few challenges and lead a few votes. Charlie played a more traditional game and ran the best twosome out there. They were both fine winner choices, and sure I would have liked Kenzie's win even more if Maria had voted for Charlie, but that is tarnishing the win because she still deserved it. Either Charlie or Kenzie would be my favorite winner of the new era

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
FWIW, Survivor Quebec had their first season last year and there was some ''cheating'' just like that during individual immunity challenges. It even happened just last week too in the Season 2. And I absolutely hate it.

I also watch the amazing race and it happened ton on this season that just ended and I really hate it on that show too. Blatantly helping other teams or people during challenges shouldn't ever be allowed because it's virtually an insurmountable odd to overcome.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I don't mind Kenzie winning but I thought overall the finale was pretty weak.

Overall though, they seem to have dropped a lot of the drama like someone fishing, not catching anything and then facing the wrath of the team when they return — or people trying to make fire. Basically, now it's just strategizing between challenges. I don't even know what they're eating aside from when they're on a reward challenge. And the best part of the finale used to be the entire cast getting back together in the finale but that didn't happen either. I was really hoping for a Bhanu encore. The best part about this finale was the preview of season 47.

Survivor for me has begun to feel like a 23-year-old car that's beginning to break down. It still runs but there's no A/C, the tires are worn, there's a ticking coming from under the hood and the brakes need rebuilding, but you can still get from point A to point B if you don't get too adventurous. You know though that without a massive repair bill your car's living on borrowed time.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm good with Kenzie winning. She had a top notch social game.

Charlie lost some steam towards the end.

I must say though, Liz is an incredibly annoying and entitled person. Can't stand her. Her whole act was horrible.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I am over the moon for Kenzie. Well done girl!! She went through hell and back for that for that title. It reminded me a little but of Denise in that regard. This season was so bad it was good. It would be like me walking through a door and reversing gravity to physically fall upward up a flight of stairs breaking every bone in my body but nothing spills out of the bags I am carrying.

But onto Liz. Holy f***. People like her are why we need pre merge tribe swaps.

I can say confidently if I had been cast instead of David Jelinsky, I may very well have been 1st boot. It probaly wouldn't have gone much different. Yanu would have been historically terrible and I am not the kind of guy who can save that. I can say confidently too that if Liz goes to Yanu and not Jess, she goes home 1st or 2nd and Jess gets to hide on the Nami dream team. And here Liz is in the finals. The whole "there's nowhere to hide" pre merge portion is nonsense. She was hidden half the game and never had to face a tribal and stuck around long enough to bawl about Applebee's, allergies and bowel movements. I understand *WHY* she punted the challenge to help Kenzie. But it is such a slimeball move. She cannot win or do anything competently in a challenge so she basically allows the mercenary approach to take out Maria and then grimaces and gripes about not being handed a trip to the finals.

I am so resoundingly disappointed in her because even though I have the feeling of "no one told you to play Survivor with allergies" I was still proud of her. But she was setting herself up for the most shameless goat role we've seen since probably Kass.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Think Charlie played the much better game. But what can you do when your number 1 most of the game is still extremely bitter and doesnt vote for you and likely costed you a mill.

End of the day thought it mostly matters who do people like the most and want to give the money too. Everyone really liked Kenzie and had no beef with her.

All I know is if I made the final 3 I would make sure I had a sob story ready to share with everyone.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Exactly.

Dang man, I agree with just about everything you've said here lol. I hate that the jury is allowed to ask the people what they'll do with the money. It's irrelevant to the game, as you said, and takes shift away from the game and into an "outside world" perspective. So many players talk about separating the game from reality, but then this clashes the two together. Q is an idiot and it's pretty lame he was even on the jury. He has zero respect or understanding for the game.

Maria exposed herself so hard and broke the illusion of her as this great motherly figure. Not to say she's not a great mom to her kids, but she certainly was bitter af at Charlie getting one over on her and went back on her promise to vote for him.

Firemaking is stupid for all the reasons you said. I really wish they'd take this challenge away.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Hated the finale. Hated the winner. Hated how the winner was chosen. Almost turned the show off when someone asked what they would do with the money. I f***ING HATE THAT QUESTION. Would love all 3 to respond the same way and say "It's none of your fvcking business".

Wasted an entire season watching this crap to have it be yet another show that turns into a charity event at the end where the person with the best sob story wins.

I've given up on this show before and I can see myself doing it again. Can't stand the new era. It's garbage.

Reactions: kook10

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
The cast in the preview for next season appears at first glance to be more of the same. I really wish they'd go back to casting more ordinary people rather than casting for peak narcissist drama. The credit whoring this season made me want to barf.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I want to see a season where they get to the end and someone asks that stupid "what are you going to do with the money" and one of the finalists lies and says he/she is going to give everyone on the jury $100,000. Let's see how Probst handles that nonsense.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I want to see a season where they get to the end and someone asks that stupid "what are you going to do with the money" and one of the finalists lies and says he/she is going to give everyone on the jury $100,000. Let's see how Probst handles that nonsense.
Pretty sure they;d immediately be disqualified.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Oh shit, a person that does a lot of podcasts on RHAP is on the next season. She would always be a part when they did their pre-season survivor drafts.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
you're probably right. There's gotta be a "no sharing" rule in the contract.
yeah, it's a staple of BB and Survivor contracts. A long believed rumor is Albert in SoPa promised to pay another players mortgage for a jury vote (personally don't believe it), and that gave him zero votes.

I do hate the money question though.

Reactions: shakes the clown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad