Superleague talks

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, if I'm Liverpool, Real Madrid or whomever, I rather not do things to line the pockets of UEFA. I think the analogy of killing the golden goose is potentially at stake here, but certainly, I would understand the desire to put more of the revenues from things like the CL in their own pockets instead of wherever it goes for UEFA. Look at tickets alone for CL Finals. How many supporters get to go, and how many of those tickets go to sponsors and other corporate types?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I wonder how the players and agents would actually feel about this. It'd dramatically reduce the number of actual 'top flight' jobs for them and as money from media and sponsors would get concentrated even more on the Super League clubs, the wages of players for the remaining teams are likely to go down in relative terms.

For the actual supporters, I don't think a lot changes. Already almost every club's fans know that they have no chance to win the league. The rump leagues might actually be a lot more interesting for a lot of people who actually go to the games and live in the communities of the clubs involved once those corporate behemoths are removed to their own sphere.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Hate this idea. For me each domestic league has it's own history, look and even I would say feel. Many may not find say Barça away to Athletic Club, Real Sociedad or even Osasuna very interesting, but I've seen some excellent matches from those fixtures over the years. And that's just a small example from one league.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I'm not serious, but a threat to these footballing associations and putting more revenue in the right hands is a good thing.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not serious, but a threat to these footballing associations and putting more revenue in the right hands is a good thing.

Right hands being the richest clubs with billionaire owners? Whatever you wish to think about corruption within the associations, they also use shitloads of money for the benefit of non-commercial football. If the revenue is gone it'll be the grassroots that suffer.

Reactions: Jussi

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Right hands being the richest clubs with billionaire owners? Whatever you wish to think about corruption within the associations, they also use shitloads of money for the benefit of non-commercial football. If the revenue is gone it'll be the grassroots that suffer.
Don't expect North Americans who support Arsenal/LFC/Man United/Citeh/Chelsea/Bayern/Barcelona/PSG/Real Madrid to understand that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There are certainly some grassroots programs that many of these big federations work and help. But some of that is a drop in the bucket compared with what many of them have used to line their pockets with corruption schemes in the past. Paying for a few new fields, or a few camps, or sending some balls and sneakers are not only major write offs in some areas, but sponsors cover much of the outlay, more so than UEFA actually reaching into their pockets. In North America, we have the same type of thing occurring all the time here with professional sports. Do you think when the Lakers go out and do a kids camp, or resurface a basketball court, that they're not either taking the write off, or having Nike or whomever they're sponsored with do much of it?

Additionally, there's no saying that bigger clubs couldn't do some of the programs the federations do. I also don't know that this has to be an either or plan. UEFA can still make a crap load of money on it, and they can still be heavily involved in making money out of Nations League, tournaments, their World Cup share, you name it. The plan might actually increase revenues.

I'm not completely for this. I think the home leagues are still important and vital to the development of the sport. But I'm willing to listen to a proposal that's different and not crap all over it before it's even fully out. I'm also not always for lining the pockets of UEFA or the English FA, when they don't really have the players best interests at heart either.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Don't expect North Americans who support Arsenal/LFC/Man United/Citeh/Chelsea/Bayern/Barcelona/PSG/Real Madrid to understand that.
I'd imagine we'll see the same disconnect that we saw related to Project Big Picture, where the local top-six supporters groups all came out against the plan but the reaction here was much more tepid, if not supportive.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Frankly, the main reason this fails is because the CL is still loved by most, and the financial gain for some of these clubs isn’t good enough.

A lot of the top clubs who are invited are always going to make the CL. They don’t have the impetus to make a move to ensure that. Even if it might mean a bit more revenue. PSG or Bayern might want the acclaim if it got going, but they’re not missing out on CL dollars. Ever.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Frankly, the main reason this fails is because the CL is still loved by most, and the financial gain for some of these clubs isn’t good enough.

A lot of the top clubs who are invited are always going to make the CL. They don’t have the impetus to make a move to ensure that. Even if it might mean a bit more revenue. PSG or Bayern might want the acclaim if it got going, but they’re not missing out on CL dollars. Ever.
It wasn't that long ago that AC Milan could've had this mentality too. Owners are all about eliminating risk.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The greed of these clubs knows no bounds. It is never ending. They break the rules. They get away scot-free. They change cup formats to suit themselves. They hoard and pinch almost all of the young talent available to the detriment of other clubs and the competitive element in football. They are a disgrace.

What is telling is that the real fans of these clubs. The ones who are actually near enough local to the clubs don't want this much as they opposed Project Greed. As usual it is the moneymen, television companies and other parasites who are all for destroying the fabric of football such as it remains.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is kind of fun to see so many people here having a similar reaction to this Super League, as I had when they started that stupid Champions League.
European football was ruined in the 90s. I don't really care that they are trying to replace a terrible competition with one that's even worse. It's not like any team I like is ever going to be part of this.

I do miss the times when they had the Champion's Cup (or whatever it was called in English), the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA-Cup, without any stupid group stages or seeds, even if that meant that teams like Marseille and Juventus could meet in the 1st round, as they did in 72/73.
In most things I am not one for nostalgia, but when it comes to European football I do miss the "good old times".

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is kind of fun to see so many people here having a similar reaction to this Super League, as I had when they started that stupid Champions League.
European football was ruined in the 90s. I don't really care that they are trying to replace a terrible competition with one that's even worse. It's not like any team I like is ever going to be part of this.

I do miss the times when they had the Champion's Cup (or whatever it was called in English), the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA-Cup, without any stupid group stages or seeds, even if that meant that teams like Marseille and Juventus could meet in the 1st round, as they did in 72/73.
In most things I am not one for nostalgia, but when it comes to European football I do miss the "good old times".
I understand your feelings. It is fine.

I just can imagine Mr Szemberg´s reaction when (if) this Superleague happens. He would lose his sole argument against the KHL´s expansion to Europe overnight :D While the argumentation for KHL´s participation in the CHL in jeopardy.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Amen.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I don't think the initial Champions League was bad in itself as far as the product on the pitch was concerned. It reduced the odds of 'cinderella runs' somewhat, but Ajax and Dortmund both won the CL so it could still be done. In terms of the distribution of wealth, it of course generated more revenue for the big clubs, but back then you could not rely on that income even as Bayern Munich or Real Madrid to be there every year.

What *really* was the killer was Champions League expansion in 1998 to include non-champions and then the further expansion to allow 3rd/4th placed teams from the top leagues. That destroyed the other European competitions, and ensured a reliable massive revenue stream on an annual basis for the big clubs which they could use to escalate transfer fees etc. There's no "Big Six" in England without CL expansion essentially.

But, of course, almost all these changes were made to the backdrop of Super League talk tactically deployed by the big clubs to exert pressure on UEFA. Essentially the European version of relocation talk by team owners when discussing a new stadium deal. And if you go even deeper, it really comes back to the proliferation of commercial TV networks in Europe in the late 80s/early 90s, which introduced a lot more money into the sport to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad